Uploaded file names, overwritten pictures

Declan

Feb 25, 2009, 11:51:31 AM2/25/09
to WikiEducator
Hi folks,

I don't know how big this problem is, but students of mine have used
fairly simple names for files such as 'me.jpg' and 'handout.png' and
saved them to the root directory. In some cases they have
inadvertently overwritten other files; their files have have been over
written by others. A look at the history of this file(not one of my
students) illustrates the problem:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Image:Picture.jpg

It was actually rather amusing to see someone's profile picture gazing
fondly at us from the middle of a lesson plan, but probably something
we could have avoided if the uploader had heeded the message on the
upload screen (my students have been guilty of ignoring that message
also).

Suggestions:
**I suggest that workshop and classroom facilitators (like myself)
emphasize using unique and specific names for files.
**Perhaps we should consider having images as sub pages of wiki pages
rather than using the typical flat structure of the wiki; is there a
way to modify the upload page such that file names default to being
sub pages of the page from which the upload option was launched?

Finally, perhaps this is a sufficiently rare problem that it can be
ignored?

Cheers,

Declan

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Feb 25, 2009, 12:03:25 PM2/25/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Declan,
I share your concerns. I think facilitators should stress the importance of name giving as they would a child. Facilitators should perhaps suggest participants collaborate when deciding on the best names for their images and files.
Any suggestions on how to teach students on best practices in naming their images and files?
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
http://www.wikieducator.org/EL4C21
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Nelliemuller
skype:nelliedeutschmuller

Randy Fisher

Feb 25, 2009, 5:52:50 PM2/25/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, interesting problem....

What if, as a workaround, they name the photos: Chile Name_FotoName?

- Randy
--
________________
Randy Fisher

+ 1 604.684.2275
wiki...@gmail.com

http://www.wikieducator.org - Member, WikiEducator Community Council
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Randyfisher

* Can You Do the Wiki-Wiki? http://www.wikieducator.org/Wiki_Wiki

Skype: wikirandy

Gita Mathur

Feb 25, 2009, 8:51:11 PM2/25/09
to WikiEducator
This is certainly a problem. In my Gargi College workshop I made all
the newbies rename their photos before uploading. I explained to them
that the same file nane is very likely to be there, uploaded by some
one else, if the camera being used is same and the numbering will be
same too.
This may even be added to the Tutorial.
Gita Mathur

On Feb 26, 3:52 am, Randy Fisher <wikira...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, interesting problem....
>
> What if, as a workaround, they name the photos: Chile Name_FotoName?
>
> - Randy
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:03 AM, NELLIE DEUTSCH <
>

> nellie.muller.deut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Declan,
> > I share your concerns. I think facilitators should stress the importance of
> > name giving as they would a child. Facilitators should perhaps suggest
> > participants collaborate when deciding on the best names for their images
> > and files.
> > Any suggestions on how to teach students on best practices in naming their
> > images and files?
> > Warm wishes,
> > Nellie Deutsch
> > Doctoral Student
> > Educational Leadership
> > Curriculum and Instruction
> >http://www.wikieducator.org/EL4C21
> >http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Nelliemuller
> > skype:nelliedeutschmuller
>
> wikira...@gmail.com
>
> http://www.wikieducator.org- Member, WikiEducator Community Councilhttp://www.wikieducator.org/User:Randyfisher

Robert Kruhlak

Feb 25, 2009, 9:19:18 PM2/25/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Any comments on the addition of a tip for choosing the file name in
Wikieducator_tutorial/Images_and_Media/Basics?

Rob
--
Robert Kruhlak
Burnaby, BC

Sarita Kumar

Feb 25, 2009, 10:09:56 PM2/25/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

Really a big and interesting problem. Even I have come across it so many times.

I think they should write their username follwed by the picture name, i.e

username_picture name.....

Sarita

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Randy Fisher <wiki...@gmail.com> wrote:Hmm, interesting problem....

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Feb 26, 2009, 12:47:48 AM2/26/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Usernames  followed by a photo or file is an excellent solution, Sarita. However, I would still encourage members to consider a suitable name since many of my students write 111111111111111111111 for files.
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
http://www.wikieducator.org/EL4C21
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Nelliemuller
skype:nelliedeutschmuller

Gita Mathur

Feb 26, 2009, 3:36:33 AM2/26/09
to WikiEducator
Image name Tips:
1. short but specific. I have used GargiWEGita1, GargiWEGita2 etc.
2. Avoid spaces as spaces get replaced by underscore eg. "Gargi WE
Gita 1" will become "Gargi_WE_Gita_1", it can be a source of error on
adding to user page.
3. Image name should not be common words like 'scene' or 'smile' or
'My Photo' which have the risk of duplication.
4. Image name can be kept as a constant series eg. GargiWEGita1,
GargiWEGita2 etc. keep increasing the no. whenever you add new image.
5. Tutorial should give suggestions for renaming, not a strict rule.
WikiEducator is all about innovationa :-)
Gita Mathur
[http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Gita_Mathur]

On Feb 26, 10:47 am, NELLIE DEUTSCH <nellie.muller.deut...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Usernames  followed by a photo or file is an excellent solution, Sarita.
> However, I would still encourage members to consider a suitable name since
> many of my students write 111111111111111111111 for files.
> Warm wishes,
> Nellie Deutsch
> Doctoral Student
> Educational Leadership
> Curriculum and Instructionhttp://www.wikieducator.org/EL4C21http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Nelliemuller
> skype:nelliedeutschmuller
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Sarita Kumar <sarita.sanja...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
>
> > Really a big and interesting problem. Even I have come across it so many
> > times.
>
> > I think they should write their username follwed by the picture name, i.e
>
> > username_picture name.....
>
> > Sarita
>
> > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Randy Fisher <wikira...@gmail.com>wrote:Hmm, interesting problem....
>
> > What if, as a workaround, they name the photos: Chile Name_FotoName?
>
> > - Randy

> >> wikira...@gmail.com
>
> >>http://www.wikieducator.org- Member, WikiEducator Community Council

Gladys Gahona

Feb 26, 2009, 9:36:31 AM2/26/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I've also found this kind of editings in some image pages,
Please see http://www.wikieducator.org/Image:Icon_activity.jpg
Policies regarding usage of Special pages should be determined and widely published

Cheers
Gladys G.

john stampe

Feb 27, 2009, 2:43:44 AM2/27/09
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Two thoughts:

1) Is there anyway of making mediawiki say something like "this image file already exists, do you wish to overwrite it" or alternatively, "this image file already exists, please use a different name" when there is a name conflict?

2) One way I have used is to enter the photo name in the wiki page text (before uploading it) and then click on "show preview". If a picture shows up then it has been used and I can try a different name. If there is just red text, then I click on it to get the upload page.

Cheers,
John