Free materials for primary education in physics available

Günther Osswald

Oct 29, 2008, 4:51:33 AM10/29/08
to WikiEducator
Dear WikiEducators,

Celebration! SUPRA is free!

The University of Munich/Germany (LMU) has released about 1000 pages
of high quality materials for elementary education in physics (and
local history) under the CC-BY license. See my post of July 2, 2008:
http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator/browse_thread/thread/f754882a66ae2444/b44855cc9df61bb8?lnk=gst&q=supra#b44855cc9df61bb8

Let me add at this place a big "thanks" to all who have contributed to
these pages, often generously immolating free weekends!

I'd like to ask all who are interested in using SUPRA to give me a
short note, so that we can find out how we could organize the
translation into English.

Regards from cold and rainy Bavaria,

Günther

Maria Droujkova

Oct 29, 2008, 7:24:45 AM10/29/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Gunther,

I am interested in using the materials with local homeschool coops. Is there a web site for them?
--
Cheers,
MariaD

I write, 'In the beginning was the Deed!' - Goethe, Faust

naturalmath.com: a sketch of a social math site

Günther Osswald

Oct 30, 2008, 5:29:17 AM10/30/08
to WikiEducator
Hi Maria,

just follow my link to get more info on SUPRA. I just repeat:
http://www.edu.uni-muenchen.de/supra/

BTW, welcome to WikiEd from my side!
I've taken a look at your naturalmath.com website. Attractive layout
and a creative idea. Appealing!
As you may have seen, I'm math teacher and know how important it is
for learning to get abstract concepts into a more concrete form, like
an image f.ex.. Memory can deal with that much better. Therefore I can
only appreciate such attempts like yours, and doing this in a social
is even more promising. I'll talk to my colleagues about your project.

What is "homeschool coops"? Could you please explain this? And, if you
maybe want to use those materials, do you see any capacities for
translation into English?

Best regards, Günther

Peter

Oct 30, 2008, 7:14:15 PM10/30/08
to WikiEducator
Congratulations for this wonderful step in adding to the global
repository of OERs.

Peter

On Oct 30, 2:29 am, Günther Osswald <Guenther-Ossw...@t-online.de>

Maria Droujkova

Oct 31, 2008, 8:22:15 AM10/31/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Gunther,

Thank you for your warm welcome, and the link! My German is very limited, but I poked around the site, with some help from the silly Babel Fish. I think the materials I saw so far were a bit too formal for my target audience. Homeschool coops are homeschooling parents getting together to help each other's children with various projects, to run events and classes, and in general to form support groups.

As for English translation, I would go with the previous suggestion of using epals or some other way to connect to groups of volunteer students of German whose native language is English. You will need an editor on your side, of course.

Günther Osswald

Nov 3, 2008, 9:25:20 AM11/3/08
to WikiEducator
Hi Maria,

I think SUPRA could be very useful to your homeschooling parents!
Have a look of the first page I've pulled into WikiEd:
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:White_Eagle/SUPRA
Even without knowledge of German you'll see from the images: it's all
very practical, little projects that could be done with simple
materials.
BTW, this is what makes SUPRA so exiting for the use in non-
industrialized countries: no expensive equipment needed to do the
experiments!

epal? What's that?

Regards, Günther

Maria Droujkova

Nov 5, 2008, 7:36:10 AM11/5/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
http://www.epals.com/index.tpl is a huge portal for classrooms. For some reason, it would not register me on the first couple of tries, so I can't tell you more from a user perspective, but it looks like you could find some translators there (class projects).

Thank you for the direct link! This looks useful!!!
--
Cheers,
MariaD

Make math your own, to make your own math.

naturalmath.com: a sketch of a social math site
groups.google.com/group/multiplicationstudy the family multiplication study