Shall we establish a WikiEducator Community College?

Anil Prasad

May 1, 2012, 8:18:27 AM5/1/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, Wayne Mackintosh

Dear Friends,

First of all I would congratulate Harbans ji, Sebastian ji, Balqis, and Jonas for getting WikiBuddy certifications though their proactive participation in the WikiBuddy certification guidance week held from 23-04-2012 to 29-04-2012 (http://wikieducator.org/Training:WikiBuddy_certification_guidance_week_23.09.2012 ). They were the only participants (excluding a new user as the event was for Wiki Apprentices). I also thank other three colleagues who encouraged the event by offering facilitation support immediately on announcing the event and Dr. Wayne for his moral support.

Based on the thoughts and wiki conversations during the past week, I would like to ask the community  'Shall we establish a WikiEducator Community College for our WikiEducator members and  those who aspire to join the WE community?'. The abstract ideas are given below:

  1. The Objectives of the Community College Would be to:
    1. conduct L4C as a regular course
    2. conduct regular courses on Open Licensing
    3. provide regular mentoring and certification services for wiki skills development
    4. provide opportunity to the community members to request mentoring of experienced community memebrs
    5. provide facility for conducting pedagogical experiments/ run pilot courses for OERu implementation
    6. and more.....
  2. The WE Community members having wiki skill certification of and above the level of WikiBuddy can by option register as a Community College Tutor/Mentor
  3. The registered tutors/mentors wold elect an Academic Council for a 2 or three year term
  4. The Academic Council will Coordinate the functions of the Community College
  5. The Academic Council will prepare Academic Calender for each academic year in consultation with the registered tutors/mentors, WE community and WE Community Council
  6. The Academic Council will introduce new WE Community Courses in consultation with  the registered tutors/mentors, WE community and WE Community Council
  7. ...and more..
Your thoughts?

--
Warm regards

Anil

Harbans singh

May 1, 2012, 10:27:32 AM5/1/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

Anil ji to day in article “Essential Skills Kids Should Learn’’ I read  these   lines those I am  sharing as  “What drives me is not goals, not discipline, not external motivation, not reward … but passion’’ As I read word passion immediately my brain linked it with your good name.  It has stimulated me. It is my good luck that I received your this e-mail which offered me opportunity to share my views. Your support has made me selfish. I regret for it.   Excuse me I am sharing another point of the stated article “We need this to work well with others, to care for people other than ourselves, to be happy by making others happy.’’  This is what  is my dream. I want to get it done through WE. I shall be thankful to you to offer me such opportunity. I am also looking forward   to learn skill for wiki Artisan certificate to go ahead towards my dream as meaningful wiki educator. I am   visiting UK this week for few months to spend summer there.   After next week I shall be able to keep my self in touch with WE.

      Is “Community college ’’ is stated in your version is different from “community college” stated in the link attached herewith? I shall be thankful to you for clarification.

The link is below.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/Opening-community-colleges-in-India-not-practical-PK-Shahi/articleshow/12909591.cms

Regards

harbans

Patricia Schlicht

May 1, 2012, 11:51:54 AM5/1/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, Wayne Mackintosh

This is a wonderful accomplishment. Congratulations to everyone for the effort.

Warmest

Patricia

Anil Prasad

May 1, 2012, 12:05:07 PM5/1/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Dear Harbans ji,

The concept of Community College as mentioned in my message is different from the community college in the news link. Here it will be an online academic environment to provide better opportunities to the WikiEducator Community members to pursue their wiki skills development efforts, development and dissemination of OER, online tutoring/mentoring etc

Wishing you a pleasant stay in UK and hope to reconnect soon!

Balqis Thaahaveettil

May 1, 2012, 2:50:51 PM5/1/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I liked the idea of the Community College on We which
solely runs on the volunteering done by passionate members who wish to
contribute , share and mentor online to help similar minds for the
common good of the next generation in the field of education.

Moreover,this will also add liveliness to the WE platform because
every time an L4C workshop is over most of the users experience a lack
of guidance as they are new to the platform.I know this very well .I
was I hope all these limitations will be overcome with the new step
ahead .

Thanks Anil Prasad for coming up with a wonderful idea to keep WE
lively and active through out the year ! I'm really interested in
this concept and I'm looking forward to seeing this realize soon on WE

Thank you Patricia for your encouraging words

Best Regards
>>> 1. The Objectives of the Community College Would be to:
>>> 1. conduct L4C as a regular course
>>> 2. conduct regular courses on Open Licensing
>>> 3. provide regular mentoring and certification services for wiki
>>> skills development
>>> 4. provide opportunity to the community members to request
>>> mentoring of experienced community memebrs
>>> 5. provide facility for conducting pedagogical experiments/ run
>>> pilot courses for OERu implementation
>>> 6. and more.....
>>> 2. The WE Community members having wiki skill certification of and
>>> above the level of WikiBuddy can by option register as a Community
>>> College
>>> Tutor/Mentor
>>> 3. The registered tutors/mentors wold elect an Academic Council for a
>>> 2 or three year term
>>> 4. The Academic Council will Coordinate the functions of the
>>> Community College
>>> 5. The Academic Council will prepare Academic Calender for each
>>> academic year in consultation with the registered tutors/mentors, WE
>>> community and WE Community Council
>>> 6. The Academic Council will introduce new WE Community Courses in
>>> consultation with the registered tutors/mentors, WE community and WE
>>> Community Council
>>> 7. ...and more..

Ibrahim K. Oyekanmi (Mallamibro)

May 1, 2012, 3:27:12 PM5/1/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, the idea of a WE Community college is a great suggestion as it
will offer both current members and new ones an opportunity for
professional development at all times. Either a formal L4C workshop is
on or not.
I currently mentor for the Teachers' Without Borders online
Certificate of Teaching Mastery programme and i can say the
participation in this teacher development programme has made me to
hold strong beliefs on the usefulness of online platforms for
training.
My added suggestion is that instead of having facilitators cater for
large groups, it'll be a good idea to have every facilitator cater for
only a small group of learners, possibly 2 or 3. This doesn't remove
the general discussion boards which all students must contribute to.
Just my thoughts.
Ibrahim Oyekanmi
Chief Executive Officer,
Mallamibro ICT Academy,. Kano - Nigeria
Tel: +234-808-227-7575; +234-812-880-9630; +234-812-880-9618
Websites: http://www.mallamibro.com, http://www.mitaedu.com

Wikieducator Page: http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Mallamibro
Email: malla...@gmail.com; c...@mallamibro.com
Twitter: @mallamibro
Skype: mallamibro

Joyce.M...@esc.edu

May 1, 2012, 3:54:31 PM5/1/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, Joyce.M...@esc.edu
I think it would be a great idea.  It might be an education center for the academic advisers for the OER-u as well.   I am not sure about calling it a "community college" though.  The term has a very specific meaning in the US (community colleges comprise a whole sector of post-secondary education here) and the term is bound to confuse American educators...and we are confused easily enough as it is.  ;-)    Joyce McKnight

May 1, 2012, 4:00:18 PM5/1/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

I was thinking along the same lines as Joyce has and thought ‘Open World College’, but perhaps that’s too ambitious?

Warm wishes

Patricia

May 1, 2012, 11:35:40 PM5/1/12
to Anil Prasad, WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anil,

I think its an excellent idea to establish some form of "WikiEducator Academy" who take leadership in promoting regular training opportunities. This is a testament to our core community values of sharing knowledge for the benefit of all educators.

The concept of "WikiEducator Community College" could be confused with Community Colleges in the US -- so I guess it would be worth exploring alternatives. Post a request to the community asking for nominations and you could run a rough consensus poll for choosing the name for this initiative. I also think that when building a new volunteer community focus like this, that formalizing the initiative too soon with Academic Council elections etc may stall growth during the formative stages. That said, this is something which a work group can consider as the project unfolds.

I think there are also exciting opportunities to explore formal accreditation options for these training opportunities through the OERu network in conjunction with open badges for selected initiatives.

Great idea!

Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation

Anil Prasad

May 2, 2012, 1:31:40 AM5/2/12
to Wayne Mackintosh, WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Wayne and all other friends,

It is very encouraging to note that we are unanimous in respect of the need and definitely we have to finalize a name that shall not make any confusion. The name Community College has already confused Harbans ji with the US Community College system  and  Joyce has cautioned with humor that the name is bound to confuse :) Therefore let us finalize a name through a rough consensus poll as Dr. Wayne has suggested.

Now we may give 10 days, ie upto May 10, 2012, for our WE friends to suggest names as reply to this mail. Thereafter we will run a rough consensus poll for another 7 days (ie from May 14 to 20, 2012) to select a name from the nominations.

We have two nominations already:

  • Open World College - from Patricia and
  • WikiEducator Academy - from Dr. Wayne
Hi friends, now please add your nominations as reply to this mail.

Dr Wayne, in his reply, has given an additional reason for us to be more enthusiastic in this initiative "I think there are also exciting opportunities to explore formal accreditation options for these training opportunities through the OERu network in conjunction with open badges for selected initiatives."

Hurry up!!!

Nellie Deutsch

May 2, 2012, 1:38:53 AM5/2/12
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, WikiEducator, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, Wayne Mackintosh
Congratulations to everyone who is taking the course and receiving Wikibuddy certifications. I love the idea of a college in India. Please count me in for any help.

Warm wishes,

Dr. Nellie Deutsch
Educational Technology & Leadership
CALL-IS Steering Committee for TESOL
Contact Me LinkedinFacebookEtsyTwitter

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dr. Nellie Deutsch is the founder of Integrating Technology for Active Lifelong Learning (IT4ALL), an online informal network of volunteers that provides free and low-cost professional development workshops for educators around the world.

Prof. Supten Sarbadhikari

May 2, 2012, 2:09:08 AM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer "WikiEducator Academy".
Regards
Supten
--
Prof. Suptendra Nath Sarbadhikari, MBBS, PhD
Founder and Director, Supten Institute, Coimbatore, India

Ellen....@esc.edu

May 2, 2012, 7:05:25 AM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I like the ideas out forth so far, but would like to suggest that we think of the name as a recruiting tool as well--for example: what terms might an individual, interested in what we offer, use on a search engine that would lead them to us. I suggest that for those who are not familiar with "wikieducator" the name may lead them to believe this has something to do with wikis. I do think the name needs to contain the term "open", but perhaps "college" is too strong a term? How about something like Open Education Academy or International Academy in Open Education?

Ellen

Sent from my iPad

Don

May 2, 2012, 12:47:01 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Anil
I think a name that clarifies the intent, ie "a college or academy that exists to further educators skills using wikieducator" is a good idea, although this is too verbose.

Patricia Schlicht

May 2, 2012, 1:01:21 PM5/2/12
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, WikiEducator, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

Just thinking some more about a suitable name. I have one more suggestion. How about ‘WikiEducator Open College”. While I like Wayne’s suggestion of an ‘Academy”, I am wondering if people think it is accredited which it is not at this point. Academy has definitely a good ring to it and is more academic. There are pros and cons in all names. What do you think?

Warm wishes

Patricia

Don

May 2, 2012, 1:17:40 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
How about Open "Academy" or Open "College" 4 WikiEducators  (OA4WE)or(OC4WE)

Groups "WikiEducator" group.

Savithri Singh

May 2, 2012, 1:23:03 PM5/2/12
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, WikiEducator, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Am enjoying these mails. hats off to super Anil for his very thoughtful discussion initiators - my opinion:

College - the connotation is a 'degree' which we are not providing!!
Academy - may be better because of the above reason, but maybe we should spend some more time looking for alternates!!

Savithri
--
Savithri Singh

Principal
Acharya Narendra Dev College
(University of Delhi)
Govindpuri, Kalkaji
New Delhi 110019

Ph: 011 26294542, 011 29293224  Res: 25848151, 25843496
Fax: 011 26294540, Res: 25848151

http://beta.thehindu.com/sci-tech/article397395.ece
http://eduframe.net/andc
http://andcollege.du.ac.in
http://andc.info
http://wikieducator.org/Acharya_Narendra_Dev_College
http://wikieducator.org/User:Savi.odl
http://wikieducator.org/India
http://wikieducator.org/India/wikieducator_launch

Savithri Singh

Joyce.M...@esc.edu

May 2, 2012, 1:37:45 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I like both of those Ellen...they are more descriptive, less confusing and define what this is about.   :-)   JMcK

May 2, 2012, 1:57:41 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Institute might be another idea.   Just brainstorming.

May 2, 2012, 2:21:09 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Response of the WE community in this matter is superb!  Let me consolidate the nominations received so far to help those who are planning to add their nominations:

  1. Open World College
  2. WikiEducator Open College
  3. WikiEducator Academy
  4. Open Education Academy
  5.  International Academy in Open Education
  6. Open Academy 4 WikiEducators (OA4WE)
  7. Open College 4 WikiEducators (OC4WE)

And Joyce proposed to use 'Institute' instead of Academy and College. Hi Joyce, would you please add the complete phrase…

Further thoughts???

Patricia Schlicht

May 2, 2012, 2:32:34 PM5/2/12
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikied...@googlegroups.com

I have another thought, how about WikiEducator People’s Academy, if this is what the consensus will be? It could be replaced with Institute or College as well.

Just brainstorming.

Warmest

Patricia

Balqis Thaahaveettil

May 2, 2012, 2:33:09 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends ,
I'm new and inexperienced but seeing these brainstorming session as
said above ,let me put my suggestion too .
How about WikiEducator Open Academy or WikiEducator
Open Institute?

On 5/2/12, Anil Prasad <aple...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Response of the WE community in this matter is superb! Let me consolidate
> the nominations received so far to help those who are planning to add their
> nominations:
>

> 1. Open World College
> 2. WikiEducator Open College
> 3. WikiEducator Academy
> 4. Open Education Academy
> 5. International Academy in Open Education
> 6. Open Academy 4 WikiEducators (OA4WE)
> 7. Open College 4 WikiEducators (OC4WE)
>

> And Joyce proposed to use 'Institute' instead of Academy and College. Hi
> Joyce, would you please add the complete phrase…
>
> Further thoughts???
>
> --
> Warm regards
>
> Anil
> http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Anil_Prasad
> http://www.apletters.blogspot.com
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM, <Joyce.M...@esc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Institute might be another idea. Just brainstorming.

nbo...@gmail.com

May 2, 2012, 2:24:53 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
This message was sent via Airtel Messaging

nbo...@gmail.com

May 2, 2012, 2:25:58 PM5/2/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi All, WikiEducator Open Institute

Patricia Schlicht

May 4, 2012, 12:53:00 PM5/4/12
to wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikied...@googlegroups.com
Dear Cornelia,

Thank you for your suggestion. Could we kindly ask you to enter your
suggestion in the appropriate place at
http://www.wikieducator.org/WikiEducator_Community_College under
Community Poll. You will need to create a WikiEducator account to enter
the site. Don't forget to save your input if you are not used to working
on WikiEducator.
Thanks a million for your contribution. Greatly appreciated.
Warm wishes
Patricia
Behalf Of cornelia...@out.ac.tz
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:41 AM
To: wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Cc: wikied...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [WE Teacher Collaboration] Re: [WikiEducator] Re: Shall we
establish a WikiEducator Community College?

Dear all,
I could not resist the invitation to add on the nomination list.
Please consider 'Educators Open Academy' I think this will keep the
Educators and the philosophy visible.
Best regards,
Cornelia
Dr. Cornelia K. Muganda
Faculty of Education
The Open University of Tanzania
P.O. Box 23409, Dar es salaam,
Tanzania.
Email: cornelia...@out.ac.tz

> Dear friends,
>
> Response of the WE community in this matter is superb! Let me
> consolidate the nominations received so far to help those who are
> planning to add their
> nominations:
>

> 1. Open World College
> 2. WikiEducator Open College
> 3. WikiEducator Academy
> 4. Open Education Academy
> 5. International Academy in Open Education
> 6. Open Academy 4 WikiEducators (OA4WE)
> 7. Open College 4 WikiEducators (OC4WE)
>

> And Joyce proposed to use 'Institute' instead of Academy and College.
> Hi Joyce, would you please add the complete phrase...
>
> Further thoughts???
>
> --
> Warm regards
>
> Anil
> http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Anil_Prasad
> http://www.apletters.blogspot.com
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM, <Joyce.M...@esc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Institute might be another idea. Just brainstorming.

---------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
--------------------------------

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS E-MAIL

This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not
use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly
also notify the sender by email and/or delete this e-mail. Any views or
opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and do not
necessarily coincide with those of the Open University of Tanzania.

Nicholas Kimolo

May 6, 2012, 3:32:20 AM5/6/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

Anil Prasad

May 9, 2012, 2:52:03 AM5/9/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

This is a gentle reminder. Nominations for a name for the proposed WikiEductor community college can be submitted till the closing of  business on 10 May, 2012 in your time zone.  The nominations can either be added directly on the WikiEducator Community college poll page at http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator_Community_College/Community_poll by editing the section ‘List of Nominations’ or as reply to this mail. The community poll will be activated once nominations are closed. We are planning to have the final decision on the name by May 15, 2012.

Draft  Overview and Objectives of the proposed community college can be seen at http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator_Community_College Your comments on this will also be highly appreciated.
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Anil Prasad <aple...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

    1. conduct regular courses on Open Licensing
    1. provide regular mentoring and certification services for wiki skills development
    1. provide opportunity to the community members to request mentoring of experienced community memebrs
    1. provide facility for conducting pedagogical experiments/ run pilot courses for OERu implementation
    1. and more.....
  1. The WE Community members having wiki skill certification of and above the level of WikiBuddy can by option register as a Community College Tutor/Mentor
  1. The registered tutors/mentors wold elect an Academic Council for a 2 or three year term
  1. The Academic Council will Coordinate the functions of the Community College
  1. The Academic Council will prepare Academic Calender for each academic year in consultation with the registered tutors/mentors, WE community and WE Community Council
  1. The Academic Council will introduce new WE Community Courses in consultation with  the registered tutors/mentors, WE community and WE Community Council
  1. ...and more..
Your thoughts?

Anil Prasad

May 9, 2012, 11:55:55 AM5/9/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends, just now another name struck my mind - WIKIEDUCATOR INSTITUTE FOR OPEN SKILLS (WINFOS) Free and Open Source is also hidden in the acronym :)

Don

May 9, 2012, 12:48:10 PM5/9/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi all I added Institute 4 WikiEducators mostly because of the "I 4 WE" acronym

But, it does not encorporate "Open"

Kathleen Zarubin

May 9, 2012, 6:31:32 PM5/9/12
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
could be  ....   Institute Open  WikiEducators  ...   mostly because of the "I 4 OWE" acronym Smile  ... but i love all the others as well ... Happy with whatever people decide – just looking forward to hopefully getting some time to DO!  Smile

Cheers Kathleen
wlEmoticon-smile[1].png

Anil Prasad

May 11, 2012, 12:42:32 AM5/11/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, Wayne Mackintosh, Jim Tittsler
Dear friends,

First of all I convey my hearty gratitude to all the WE community members who expressed genuine interest in setting up a WikiEducator community college (a community-driven initiative to provide and support training including: wiki skills, creation and use of OER, open licensing, online learning, teaching, mentoring as well as promoting research on related topics) and submitted their choices for a name to it.  The response of the community was amazing - WE got 30 nominations!

The time for nominations was closed officially by the end of business on 10 May 2012. Now it is the time to choose one name for the proposed community college from the 30 wonderful nominations we have received. For this purpose a rough consensus poll page has been setup in WikiEducator. The poll is designed in three parts to gauge opinion on the scope of the proposed initiative and preferred name for the initiative based on submissions made by the community.

Section:1 Cast your vote regarding the proposed scope of the initiative
Section 2 Your opinion regarding specific reference to "WikiEducator" in the proposed name for the initiative

Section 3 Your preferences for naming this initiative - this is the section for casting your vote for a name.

The first two section will help the voters to revisit and review  the draft Overview and Objectives of the project and arrive at a logical conclusion while selecting the name.

Technology related instructions:
  • You will need a WikiEducator account and you must be logged in to cast your votes.
  • You must check the relevant options and click on the "Vote" or "Change my vote" button displayed below each option to record or change your vote.
  • If your login session has expired (e.g. no activity after a long period), you will not be able to vote or change your vote. Login to WikiEducator again.
  • You can change your vote at any time till the close of the poll.

Please cast your votes by the close of business on 19 May, 2012 in your time zone

Visit the poll page and cast your votes

''WE ARE OFF TO ANOTHER MILESTONE IN OPEN EDUCATION!"

Wayne Mackintosh

May 11, 2012, 1:38:43 AM5/11/12
to Anil Prasad, WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com, Jim Tittsler
Fantastic Job.

Kudos to Anil and the team of volunteers taking open education forward to new levels!

I've cast my consensus poll votes at:

All WikiEducators should do the same :-)

Looking forward to seeing the outcome of our community consultation.

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation
Director, International Centre for Open Education, Otago Polytechnic
Commonwealth of Learning Chair in OER, Otago Polytechnic
Founder and elected Community Council Member, WikiEducator
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
Skype: WGMNZ1

Anil Prasad

May 16, 2012, 12:18:49 PM5/16/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com, wikica...@googlegroups.com, WikiEduca...@googlegroups.com, WikiEd-INDIA

Dear friends,

This is a gentle reminder. Voting to choose a name for the proposed WikiEducator community college is in progress on the poll page at http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator_Community_College/Community_poll/Poll.12.5.12

Please cast your votes by the close of business on 19 May, 2012 in your time zone

    • You must check the relevant options and click on the "Vote" or "Change my vote" button displayed below each option to record or change your vote.
    • If your login session has expired (e.g. no activity after a long period), you will not be able to vote or change your vote. Login to WikiEducator again.
    • You can change your vote at any time till the close of the poll.

    WE ARE OFF TO ANOTHER MILESTONE IN OPEN EDUCATION!!!!!!

    Anil Prasad

    May 20, 2012, 4:04:14 AM5/20/12
    to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Mackintosh, Wayne Mackintosh, Jim Tittsler

    Dear friends,

    The poll for choosing a name for the proposed WikiEducator community college is now officially closed (by the close of business on 19 May, 2012 in your time zone).  Let me express my sincere gratitude to all the WikiEducator community members who have participated in the discussions on the WikiEducator community college concept, submitting nominations for selecting a name and subsequent voting with much enthusiasm.

    Now the formal announcment of poll results

    (See http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator_Community_College/Community_poll/Poll.12.5.12 )

    As you know, our poll had three sections to gauge opinion on the scope of the proposed initiative and preferred name for the initiative based on the submissions made by the community . Please see the queries and voting position below:

    1.       Should the initiative be extended beyond wiki skills and WIkiEducator specific activities?

    Out of the thirty three (33) voters  in this section,  thirty (30) voters have voted ‘Yes’.  Here the voters have given a very strong mandate to extend the community college initiative beyond wiki skills and WikiEducator specific activities.

    2.       Should the proposed name for this initiative include the concept WikiEducator (or reference to WikiEducator)?

    Out of the thirty two (32) community members voted in this section, twenty two (22) have opted ‘Yes’.  It means majority of voters were in favour of including the concept of/or reference to WikiEducator in the name.

    3.       Which one of the following nominations (names) you chose to name the proposed WikiEducator Community College?

    The final section was to vote for a name. Therewere 30 nominations and 38 voters. To provide voters with the freedom of selecting  different choices, multiple selection was permitted in this section.

    First three positions:

      1. The nomination Wikieducator Open Learning Academy (WOLA) got nineteen (19) votes
      2. The nomination WikiEducator Academy got 15 votes
      3. The nomination Institute of Open Education (IOE)  got 7 votes.

    Therefore, the name  ‘Wikieducator Open Learning Academy (WOLA)’  is the winner! Let us congratulate ourselves - Congratulations WikiEducator Community!!!

    Now I would like to propose that we may constitute a WikiEducator Workgroup to discuss and document the Vision, Mission, Interim Organization Structure, Interim Business Proceedures and Pilot initiatives for WOLA. Please see the work in progress charter for the Workgroup (http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator_Community_College/Workgroup1.12 ) and build it futher. I hope we will be able to complete the draft charter in two-three days and invite community members to sign up.
    ''WE ARE OFF TO ANOTHER MILESTONE IN OPEN EDUCATION BY ESTABLISHING WOLA!!!"

    Don

    May 22, 2012, 12:14:06 AM5/22/12
    to wikied...@googlegroups.com
    Hooray for WOLA!