WIkiEducator 3.0 -- Asking the right questions

1 view

Wayne

Oct 11, 2008, 7:01:23 PM10/11/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

In a socially connected world it is more beneficial to have the right questions than the right answers to the wrong questions.

I've been working on a WikiEducator 3.0 draft node. Please read through the summary provided on this page to familiarise yourself with our current context:

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:WikiEducator_3.0

WE are inviting the community to help us in brainstorming a list of the "right" questions for the third phase of our strategic plan. Once we've generated a reasonable list of questions we will engage in discussion and reflection on whether we have listed the right questions -- before we attempt to answer them :-). These discussions will form the foundation of our operational plan for Phase 3 of our strategic plan.

Cheers
Wayne

valerie

Oct 13, 2008, 11:13:39 AM10/13/08
to WikiEducator
I don't know if this is something new that is needed or something that
already exists.

What I would really like to do is "browse" or "graze" through
WikiEducator - like flipping through a magazine or a journal. I'm sure
there is lots of great stuff, but I have yet to find a good way to see
the broad spectrum and stumble upon stuff.

Search isn't the answer, because I don't know what I'm looking for but
I'll know it when I see it.

What would be even better would be some over layer / meta data layer -
sort of like social bookmarking but just for WE content (at least for
now). I would like to hop "sequentially" through all the WE content -
start anywhere - see the high level pages or a map that showed number
of links, child pages, last update, creation date, tags, categories.

I want to just scroll or click through the list in some orderly but
quick way - browse! Like scanning the Sunday New York Times. If I see
something of interest, I'd like to note and tag it against my criteria
- my subject/ classification, remember to revisit, and some general
site wide criteria - completeness, readability.

There are a couple of frustrations with WE now, as I see it. I'm not
aware of any good, quick way to see everything that is out there.
Finding the "good stuff" that is complete enough for consideration as
an OER or Learning object is way too hard.

There are also some general WE housekeeping issues - I know, I'm part
of the problem. Personal notes, brain dumps, kernels of future
projects or topics of interest, or worse - tried it and abandoned
pages. This is all interspersed with fine materials that really should
be seen and promoted, both within WE and the WE community and to a
global audience.

It would be nice if this were easy. I hope there are tools available
or forthcoming to address some of these needs. Some of us see
ourselves as noders and linkers - reviewing and classifying entries in
this great WE resource but lack the tools to be effective.

Are there tools available now? I did review the WE 3.0 page, but I
didn't come away with too much on questions like this - too process
oriented? Too far down the hierarchy of issues? Are they part of the
plan?

..Valerie

Nicholas Kimolo

Oct 13, 2008, 12:58:53 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hello Wayne,

I have added this two questions:

1. How do we empower those with little or no access to participate?
2. Do we need to partner with other stakeholders especially in
addressing the issue of access and connectivity? Are there emerging
technologies or solutions that can be adopted?

My two pence!!!

Nicholas

Peter

Oct 13, 2008, 1:36:13 PM10/13/08
to WikiEducator
I also added a couple;

* Should we treat all other OER sites / partners / resources equally?
* How do we determine the technical features of WikiEducator? What is
the lifecycle for implementing (or retiring) a feature?

Maria Droujkova

Oct 13, 2008, 1:43:36 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I am new here!
/wave
Jumping into the middle of it right away...

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM, valerie <vta...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't know if this is something new that is needed or something that
already exists.

What I would really like to do is "browse" or "graze" through
WikiEducator - like flipping through a magazine or a journal. I'm sure
there is lots of great stuff, but I have yet to find a good way to see
the broad spectrum and stumble upon stuff.

I think the fundamental structure of wikis is non-hierarchical, and as such, it does not lend itself well to taxonomic (hierarchical) activities such as  "browsing through the table of contents" or "mapping." However, there are other tools that may "kind of" feel like it. Flickr is one of my favorite examples of excellent use of such tools. They are all social. I am extremely new to WE, so I don't know, yet, which capabilities exist, so what I list may or may not be available - they are general examples of what Valerie describes, implemented socially in non-hierarchical, open spaces. It's all about people.

Tags and tag collections (clouds) let you browse by folksonomic labels. You see what other people thought of as "labels" and which of those became popular, so far. Popular=starting point for "grazing."

Favorites (subscriptions, lists) of people allow you to follow a particular participant's tastes. If you know One Good Person (TM), you can follow their favorites and quickly get oriented. Discovering such soul mates in a new community is a rewarding and useful experience in itself, because later you can collaborate with them.

Statistics, such as most visited pages, most changes in the last week, most comments and so on, allow you to follow "hot spots" of human activity.

Searches - I know you said you don't know good searches yet, but still, if you search for ten or so of your favorite topics, you will probably find some starting points.

Some social sites have additional "featured content" where site owners or some other ruling body highlights what they deem important. It's dangerous for obvious reasons.

I am curious as to which of these things are implemented in this wiki community.

Cheers,
MariaD
naturalmath.com

Wayne

Oct 13, 2008, 1:53:53 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicholas -

Two very pertinent questions for our next phase from the founder of FLOSS4Edu in Africa!

Thanks
Wayne

Patricia Schlicht

Oct 13, 2008, 3:10:56 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Dear Valerie,

Those are great thoughts, Valerie. Why don't you add them to the Community Portal for WikiEducator under the appropriate to-do list.

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Community_Portal

Thank you.
Warm regards,
Patricia

Leigh Blackall

Oct 13, 2008, 3:34:38 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Regarding Valerie's suggestion for a way to browse, and Maria's example of Flickr and tagging:

Valarie - I agree, it would be nice, especially for when introducing the wiki to people.
Maria - Welcome (nice to have another experienced social media user with us) good suggestions - I think the category feature in the wiki can be used as a kind of tagging system.

When you come across a page that you think should be added to the browse list, simply click edit and type [[category:browselist]] or some other tag word.
If it is useful to you for something else, add perhaps add [[category:valerieslist]].
These category tags will be added as links to the bottom of the page. When you click those links, you'll be taken to an index page where all the tagged pages are listed in alphabetical order. Now, at the techtonic shift way back, I asked the tech madician behind Wikied if we could apply a tag cloud look to the category feature which would give us a clearer idea of what category tags where popular.

An alternative way to achieve this is to use Del.icio.us. Use it to bookmark and tag a wikieducator page. Go to Del.icio.us to view your list. When viewing your list, look for the RSS feed for that list. Take the URL for that RSS feed, and create a page on Wikieducator called "Browse List". Add that RSS feed to that page. After that RSS feed URL has had a few bits of wiki syntax added to it by me or anyone who knows how, then the page will display the Del.icio.us list right there on the page. This method is a type of third party media embed and can be done for video and audio as well.

Personally, I think both methods are good - but I have a preference for Del.icio.us because it decentralises content a little. I am quite nervous about putting everything into the wiki and prefer to distribute across services as a type of backup plan - as well as broader range of digital literacy development.
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Leighblackall

Wayne

Oct 13, 2008, 4:20:33 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Valerie and Leigh,

Valerie -- good suggestions. I've posted this to the list of questions here:

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:WikiEducator_3.0#Questions  (Please take a look to see if I've captured the essence of your contribution).

We've been making some progress on this front -- albeit at a slow pace :-(.

1) We've started development on a Content Info Box template -- the idea being to capture some of the metadata to which you refer. This template has a couple of smart features that will help us with categories and creating multiple paths for finding and browsing WE content. I think the Content Info Box should also include a tag for the quality assurance framework currently under development. See:

http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Developing_a_teaching_resource/Inserting_an_Infobox

2) I've started work on drafting a tutorial in preparation for the implementation of better tagging of content but to some how try to tie this in with the learning design process for developing content. Still needs lots of work:

http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Developing_a_teaching_resource#Design

3) WE have also started work to establish portal pages for the different sectors -- eg School, Tertiary, Professional Development etc. See for example what Brent Simpson has been doing over here:

http://wikieducator.org/Portal:Primary

3) Leigh -- I really like the social tagging approach to compliment internal structuring and categorisation of content in WE. This is clearly an area for improvement in WE.  The MOSEP project has included the ability for users to tag WE pages at their favourite site -- see:

http://wikieducator.org/MOSEP -- Its pretty neat because it "parses" the WE url for tagging purposes thus saving a little time and effort.

For some time now I've been thinking that WE should develop a template which makes it easy to insert the option to tag content pages -- but haven't found the time to get round to this :-).

So while we haven't optimised our capabilities to browse content easily -- we have a few of the building blocks in place to take this forward.

Cheers
Wayne

Brent

Oct 13, 2008, 5:05:16 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

Categories are kind of like tags but categorizing something as [[Category:Valierieslist]] probably isn't that helpful to anyone besides Valerie :-) .. thats what the watchlist function is for. The De.licio.us tip is a good one, and as Leigh has suggested you can then embed the RSS from any del.icio.us tag back into a page off of your user page say as a way to keep track of pages you've "tagged/bookmarked" like this. It is also worth exploring the http://www.wikieducator.org/Special:RecentChanges page a bit. There is functionality in there to limit recent changes to just certain categories as well. I had been working somewhat on these as well: http://www.wikieducator.org/Portal:Primary but they still need quite a bit of work/content to be useful.

brent.

Chris Harvey

Oct 13, 2008, 8:08:26 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
There's also a tag and tag cloud extension, you can see it in use on my wiki on the mainpage

http://superuser.com.au/Main_Page

If you look on the following page you can see down the bottom to "add tag" which is sort of the same as categories.

http://superuser.com.au/News_aggregator_lesson

Warm Regards
Chris
http://chris.superuser.com.au/

Leigh Blackall

Oct 13, 2008, 8:38:05 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Wow Chris! SuperUser is looking great! All MediaWiki too! Give this man a job... he is at where I hope Wikied will be at some day...

Chris Harvey

Oct 13, 2008, 10:03:04 PM10/13/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your kind words Leigh

Chris Harvey

Wayne

Oct 14, 2008, 12:06:31 AM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh ---

I agree!  I wonder if Chris @ SuperUser has a little time on his hands to help out over at WE?

Chris -- the work you're doing on SuperUser is pretty inspiring - would love to have you on our team ....

Cheers
Wayne

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Oct 14, 2008, 5:31:10 AM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Questions:
Wayne, I am not sure whether my questions are right or wrong for you or WE, or whether they are more on the line of suggestions, but I would be interested in your response.
  • Why don't I get emails for the following preferences?

  • Would it be possible to have the latest information available as new information is added to WE?
  • Would it be possible to have a submit button for proposals or registration for courses where the information is added automatically to a new page?
  • Would it be possible to have one person directing WE with the assistance of the council members? Perhaps I am wrong, but things seem to be at a stand still since the first WE council elections.
Thank you.
Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership
Curriculum and Instruction
http://www.nelliemuller.com
http://www.integrating-technology.com/pd
http://www.building-relationship.com/education
http://blendedlear.ning.com
http://connecting-online.ning.com

Nadia

Oct 14, 2008, 6:33:07 AM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Dear Valerie,

I know exactly what you mean. I was in one of the first groups so I
used to go to every participant's page and have a look. It was also so
I could copy and paste ideas for tables, colours etc.
With the categories section maybe you can look at certain topics.
Hopefully a good solution will be found with people like Wayne, Leigh,
Erik et al. it should happen soon.
Maybe this wiki way at the moment will help you discover things you
wouldn't usually read.

Best of luck
Nadia

valerie

Oct 14, 2008, 10:41:30 AM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Thanks Maria

I agree - your suggestions are great, except that most of the
WikiEducator content is not yet tagged, referenced, validated, or
"finished." I would like to have are some specialized tools for
community volunteers to help with that. It may be just a mash-up, but
that is fine for now. Just getting something going is important.

Keep those good thoughts and suggestions coming...

..Valerie

Peter

Oct 14, 2008, 11:25:56 AM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Nellie,

I'm with you on why I don't get emails based on the preferences I have
set. I have my strong suspicions as to why, but I am more and more
avoiding the subject due to (god forbid I hate to say it) political
reasons. I really want to support you in asking this question. I am in
the same boat and I certianly hope the likes of Wayne and Erik can
figure it out...

I'd also like to support your idea of one person directing the WE at
this time. I completely agree, it seems like a stand still within WE
right now, administratively anyhow.

Cheers, Peter

On Oct 14, 2:31 am, "NELLIE DEUTSCH" <nellie.muller.deut...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Questions:
> Wayne, I am not sure whether my questions are right or wrong for you or WE,
> or whether they are more on the line of suggestions, but I would be
> interested in your response.
>
>    - Why don't I get emails for the following preferences?
>
> E-mail me when a page on my watchlist is changed
>  E-mail me when my user talk page is changed
>  E-mail me also for minor edits of pages
>  Enable e-mail from other users Send me copies of e-mails I send to other
> users
>
>    - Would it be possible to have the latest information available as new
>    information is added to WE?
>    - Would it be possible to have a submit button for proposals or
>    registration for courses where the information is added automatically to a
>    new page?
>    - Would it be possible to have one person directing WE with the
>    assistance of the council members? Perhaps I am wrong, but things seem to be
>    at a stand still since the first WE council elections.
>
> Thank you.
> Warm wishes,
> Nellie Deutsch
> Doctoral Student
> Educational Leadership
> Curriculum and Instructionhttp://www.nelliemuller.comhttp://www.integrating-technology.com/pdhttp://www.building-relationship.com/educationhttp://blendedlear.ning.comhttp://connecting-online.ning.com
>

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Wayne <wmackint...@col.org> wrote:
> >  Hi everyone,
>
> > In a socially connected world it is more beneficial to have the right
> > questions than the right answers to the wrong questions.
>
> > I've been working on a WikiEducator 3.0 draft node. Please read through the
> > summary provided on this page to familiarise yourself with our current
> > context:
>
> >http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:WikiEducator_3.0
>
> > WE are inviting the community to help us in brainstorming a list of the
> > "right" questions for the third phase of our strategic plan. Once we've
> > generated a reasonable list of questions we will engage in discussion and
> > reflection on whether we have listed the right questions -- before we
> > attempt to answer them :-). These discussions will form the foundation of
> > our operational plan for Phase 3 of our strategic plan.
>
> > Cheers
> > Wayne- Hide quoted text -

valerie

Oct 14, 2008, 11:31:00 AM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Thanks Leigh and everyone else!

Providing other access to the "good stuff" is what got me started
looking into this. There are BIG questions about using the WE Category
feature - they are currently a mess and unusable for the most part.
Too bad - this is a very powerful tool but there is so much junk and
inconsistency. These either need to be rationalized to a standardized
set or be totally personal.

Earlier this week, I discovered a very nice Del.icio.us tool to
generate a script for an RSS feed for specific tags - radio buttons,
instant mockup display, so you can fiddle with it to get it the way
you want it. The script is right there so you can just copy it when
the display does what you want. I love it when someone does nice work
like this!
http://delicious.com/help/tagrolls

http://cis2f08.edublogs.org/ - the link list for Learn node is just a
text block with the delicious generated script to feed the entries
with the tag "learn_node"

I'll start delicious tags specific to the WE stuff I like and put that
on my WE page. That's great.

I still need - How to systematically review all the WE pages. I would
like to do that but with a minimum of clicks. Back and forth from a
search page to individual pages gets really old very fast.

Thanks to all!
..Valerie

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Oct 14, 2008, 11:58:41 AM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Peter,
One of the reasons I connected my students to WE was so I can help them improve their writing. They need to be informed of the changes I or someone else makes in order to learn from their mistakes. I hope the feature can be enabled.

Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership

Peter

Oct 14, 2008, 12:14:32 PM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Nellie,

I absolutely agree with being informed of changes. I often refer to
the theory of "progressive inquiry" ( http://www.helsinki.fi/science/networkedlearning/eng/delete.html
) when I discuss the importance on online feedback and messaging (like
being emailed when something changes on the wiki). You can always
suggest to your students to be checking their "my watchlist" once they
log into WikiEd...

Cheers,

On Oct 14, 8:58 am, "NELLIE DEUTSCH" <nellie.muller.deut...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Peter,
> One of the reasons I connected my students to WE was so I can help them
> improve their writing. They need to be informed of the changes I or someone
> else makes in order to learn from their mistakes. I hope the feature can be
> enabled.
> Warm wishes,
> Nellie Deutsch
> Doctoral Student
> Educational Leadership
> >www.integrating-technology.com/pdhttp://www.building-relationship.com...

> > the

> > and
> > of

Wayne

Oct 14, 2008, 12:34:23 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nellie

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 02:31 -0700, NELLIE DEUTSCH wrote:
  • Why don't I get emails for the following preferences?

My email notifications for pages on my watchlist have been working fine.  If you go to your personal user preferences, under the subheading E-Mail, do you see the following message :

"Your e-mail  address was authenticated on ..... at ......".

Sometimes users don't confirm their email addresses when the account was registered or didn't supply an email address.  This will narrow down our search in finding the answer.  I'll need to do a little searching on how to have an e-mail confirmed in cases where the original email was not confirmed -- I'm not sure how this is done.

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne

Oct 14, 2008, 12:37:49 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Valerie ....

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 08:31 -0700, valerie wrote:
I still need - How to systematically review all the WE pages.  I would
like to do that but with a minimum of clicks. Back and forth from a
search page to individual pages gets really old very fast.

This is on our community to do list --  we're making progress with the Infobox templates and portal pages. In the near future it would be great to organise a community barn raising effort to get all our content properly "tagged", categorised and listed on the relevant portal pages.

I agree -- we need to improve the way we navigate content.

Cheers
Wayne

Peter

Oct 14, 2008, 1:14:22 PM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Wayne,

Should a LQT based page be considered a page on my watchlist? This may
be where the "bug" is... Even though I have been authenticated since
Feb 2007 I do not get emails when a LQT discussion I am watching gets
changed... or has this been fixed in the last round of "patches"?

Sincerely,

On Oct 14, 9:34 am, Wayne <wmackint...@col.org> wrote:
> Hi Nellie
>
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 02:31 -0700, NELLIE DEUTSCH wrote:
> >       * Why don't I get emails for the following preferences?

Wayne

Oct 14, 2008, 1:21:25 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

To the best of my knowledge email notification on LQT has not yet been implemented and is currently under development.

Are your email notifications working on content pages on your watchlist? (Assuming you have this option checked in your preferences).

Cheers
Wayne

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Oct 14, 2008, 1:32:06 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Peter. I will do just that. I just hope the watchlist doesn't distract them and they off to see what their teacher has been up to. :)

Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
Doctoral Student
Educational Leadership

Peter

Oct 14, 2008, 1:34:34 PM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Yes, all my selected preferences for email notification are working.
I'm not surprised by LQT missing key features... alpha based software
is often this way.

Here's to hoping that a policy develops where only 2.x or later
versions of software are allowed into the WE infrastructure.

Cheers,

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Oct 14, 2008, 1:35:45 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Wayne,
Can you check me message? I added my preferences so that you can how they are set up on my WE content pages. My email notifications are not working on content pages although my  I mark my pages to be watched for changes. This feature is very important to me. However, if the feature is not available, it should not be there.
What are your thoughts?

Wayne

Oct 14, 2008, 2:27:45 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nellie,

Yip -- I saw the preferences you had checked in your user preferences in the previous email, but I don't see  whether your email account was confirmed or not.  (I don't have access to your personal preferences -- so I can't check this for you. - :-(  ).

Take a quick look at your user preference page. Under the eMail subheading there should be a line which reads:

"Your e-mail  address was authenticated on ..... at ......" -- immediately before the actual preferences you have checked for email.

If you don't see this confirmation -- it means that your email wasn't confirmed when you set up your account.  I'll need to ask for help from the MW gurus on how to activate a confirmation after the fact --- I don't know how to do this.

The feature is available -- we've just got to figure out how to get it working in your case :-).

Cheers
Wayne

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 10:35 -0700, NELLIE DEUTSCH wrote:
Wayne,
Can you check me message? I added my preferences so that you can how they are set up on my WE content pages. My email notifications are not working on content pages although my  I mark my pages to be watched for changes. This feature is very important to me. However, if the feature is not available, it should not be there.
What are your thoughts?
Warm wishe

Brent

Oct 14, 2008, 2:28:18 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Oct 14, 2008, 2:35:03 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Wayne,
It says: Your e-mail address was authenticated on 29 November 2007 at 09:37.
So let's continue. I would love the feature to work.
Warm wishes,

Jim Tittsler

Oct 14, 2008, 4:32:08 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 05:34, Wayne <wmack...@col.org> wrote:

>> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 02:31 -0700, NELLIE DEUTSCH wrote:
>>
>> Why don't I get emails for the following preferences?
>
> My email notifications for pages on my watchlist have been working fine. If
> you go to your personal user preferences, under the subheading E-Mail, do
> you see the following message :
>
> "Your e-mail address was authenticated on ..... at ......".
>
> Sometimes users don't confirm their email addresses when the account was
> registered or didn't supply an email address. This will narrow down our

Also note that MediaWiki will only notify you of a change once. If
you don't go look at the change, it figures it shouldn't bombard you
with change notices and becomes quiet about that particular page.

Leigh Blackall

Oct 14, 2008, 4:46:21 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Email notifications are working for me too Nellie (Not LQT of course). Do you by chance have your computer set up to automatically log you in to Wikieducator and that you may think you have one email set up in your preferences, but it is actually another receiving the notification? Just an obvious suggestion.

Regarding Category pages.. I think Brents suggestion is a good one. If you come across a page that has no category, add a "needs_categorisation" category.

I try to keep pages to do with Otago Polytechnic together using an Otago Polytechnic category. Trouble is, while that category page is on my watchlist, it does not alert me when new additions are made to the category. I need this alert so I can keep out pages that don't belong (for example, Randy categorised a page of his with Otago Polytechnic a while back.. it wasn't anything to do with Otago.. I found it by chance and cleaned it out). The watch feature of the Category page only alerts me if the actual page content is edited, which is no use in terms of monitoring category additions. I had hoped an RSS feed could be generated from the page so I could monitor additions, and I think Jim did do some hack work using a cocktail of technology, but it wasn't possible on Wikieducator all by itself.

Leigh Blackall

Oct 14, 2008, 4:47:27 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
An urgent need in my opinion, is the ability for any user to download large portions of the wiki for backup.

valerie

Oct 14, 2008, 5:43:35 PM10/14/08
to WikiEducator
Update...

You can see every new participant's page! I just stuck the link
http://wikieducator.org into GoogleReader as a feed. It actually
works. So any changes to any pages from now on, I'll "see" - quick and
easy way to screen - just scroll through the list whenever. Click on
anything that seems interesting. There are tags and notes, so that
will help with big-picture classification.

Right now I'm just curious about what is there. I'm looking for any
science OERs so I can review them later and create learn nodes for the
"best" ones - time and energy permitting. I think if I identify some
good content, it will help students get going - they know this content
is appropriate, so they just have to create and post the learn node.

However, it doesn't go back in time as far as I can tell, so that
won't help me go through the existing pages systematically. Anyone
know a clever way to make GoogleReader present every page in
WikiEducator?

Thanks
..Valerie

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Oct 14, 2008, 6:31:24 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for reminding me, Valerie. I just checked my google reader to find I had added wikieducator a while back. My google reader is such a mess!!! I have no idea how I'm going to manage things. Any suggestions?

NELLIE DEUTSCH

Oct 14, 2008, 8:36:12 PM10/14/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I wish I could say, yes, but nothing has arrived from WE. All my email accounts are on gmail so it doesn't matter what account I use. I checked my spam but did not get any notifications from WE.

valerie

Oct 15, 2008, 9:00:50 AM10/15/08
to WikiEducator
Is there a list of "preferred" category names? There are lots of
different spellings and groupings in current use. Is there a process
for such a list?

..Valerie

Brent

Oct 15, 2008, 1:25:22 PM10/15/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
this might be useful: http://www.wikieducator.org/Template:ContentInfobox

brent.

--------------------------------------
http://digitalsynapse.co.nz
--------------------------------------

Minhaaj ur Rehman

Oct 16, 2008, 2:28:13 PM10/16/08
to WikiEducator
Its is outta the context but i would like to nominate leigh blackall
to vote for any issues in council on my behalf if the need arises
since i am busy in an overseas trip in UAE. I hope the voting process
and decisions made will be in community's interest.

On Oct 15, 10:25 am, Brent <pumiceh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this might be useful:http://www.wikieducator.org/Template:ContentInfobox
>
> brent.
>
> --------------------------------------http://digitalsynapse.co.nz
> --------------------------------------
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:00 AM, valerie <vtay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a list of "preferred" category names? There are lots of
> > different spellings and groupings in current use. Is there a process
> > for such a list?
>
> > ..Valerie
>
> > On Oct 14, 11:28 am, Brent <pumiceh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > people could start here:
> >http://www.wikieducator.org/Category:Needs_Categorisation- Hide quoted text -

Peter

Oct 16, 2008, 4:08:48 PM10/16/08
to WikiEducator
Minhaaj,

As a person who voted for you I am a little disappointed by this. I
voted for you because I believed you would bring a different view to
things. Which I still believe you do... I also see you as a person
bold enough to speak their mind (you may need to work on your
diplomacy skills a little). These are some of the reasons I voted for
you. Please keep your responsibilities to all the people who voted you
into this important position. I don't see being overseas as an
"excuse" as many of the other council members are also working
overseas in a variety of roles...

I know the policy is still in draft... but I agree with the no-proxy
voting policy; http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Policy_for_Community_Governance#Voting_Means

I hope you make the time and effort to continue with the WE council...

Sincerely, Peter
> > >http://www.wikieducator.org/Category:Needs_Categorisation-Hide quoted text -

valerie

Oct 17, 2008, 9:58:35 AM10/17/08
to WikiEducator
Thanks Brent

Yes, the Content template is just the thing!
http://www.wikieducator.org/Template:ContentInfobox

Now all we need to do is have folks (including yours truly), use this

..Valerie

On Oct 15, 10:25 am, Brent <pumiceh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this might be useful:http://www.wikieducator.org/Template:ContentInfobox
>
> brent.
>
> --------------------------------------http://digitalsynapse.co.nz
> --------------------------------------

Minhaaj ur Rehman

Oct 18, 2008, 5:47:50 AM10/18/08
to WikiEducator
Peter,

Thanks for your views. What you need to realize is that
some people overseas don't have some privileges and lifestyle like
most of people in western hemisphere. I don't have access to internet
in my 'bedspace' as opposed to room. Leigh and i have been friends for
a long time and we look on things with same opinions about them. I see
nothing wrong with him voting for me. Just like other 'great' policies
i now see why proxy voting isn't allowed but in that case we will see
if i can vote or not. and by the way next time before you use words
like 'excuse' ask people if they really have a reason or its an
excuse :)

Thanks

On Oct 17, 1:08 am, Peter <prawstho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Minhaaj,
>
> As a person who voted for you I am a little disappointed by this. I
> voted for you because I believed you would bring a different view to
> things. Which I still believe you do... I also see you as a person
> bold enough to speak their mind (you may need to work on your
> diplomacy skills a little). These are some of the reasons I voted for
> you. Please keep your responsibilities to all the people who voted you
> into this important position. I don't see being overseas as an
> "excuse" as many of the other council members are also working
> overseas in a variety of roles...
>
> I know the policy is still in draft... but I agree with the no-proxy
> voting policy;http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Policy_for_Community_Governance#...
>
> I hope you make the time and effort to continue with the WE council...
>
> Sincerely, Peter
>
> On Oct 16, 11:28 am, Minhaaj ur Rehman <minh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Its is outta the context but i would like to nominate leigh blackall
> > to vote for any issues in council on my behalf if the need arises
> > since i am busy in an overseas trip in UAE. I hope the voting process
> > and decisions made will be in community's interest.
>
> > On Oct 15, 10:25 am, Brent <pumiceh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > this might be useful:http://www.wikieducator.org/Template:ContentInfobox
>
> > > brent.
>
> > > --------------------------------------http://digitalsynapse.co.nz
> > > --------------------------------------

Peter

Oct 18, 2008, 10:48:59 AM10/18/08
to WikiEducator
Minhaaj,

I have traveled and worked around the globe and I too have sometimes
been only allowed a bed to sleep in... but I still found a way to
correspond to those important to me. And being a western white male
doesn't always provide privilege... I could tell you stories that may
surprise you. I am still disappointed you will not be able to keep
your commitments at this important time for WE. How long is your
assignment in the UAE?

Sincerely, Peter

Wayne

Oct 18, 2008, 6:37:47 PM10/18/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Minhaaj  (and Peter),

I've just posted a request on the WE Council list to get all the contact details of elected members, over and above the email contacts which we have.

Every Council member must be afforded reasonable opportunity to vote on proposed resolutions and WE MUST take this into account. Our current policy does not cater for proxy voting, but does provide for voting on all matters "by mail, electronic mail, facsimile transmission, chat software, video conferencing, wiki software, or other similar verifiable means".

Therefore we have an obligation to ensure that all elected members have a reasonable opportunity to vote on all resolutions. Notwithstanding international travel or challenges pertaining to connectivity.

I was born, raised and educated in Africa -- I have first hand experience in the connectivity challenges facing the developing world.

WikiEducator is committed to hearing the voices from all corners of the globe -- even if this means casting a vote by snail-mail :-).

Cheers
Wayne