WE content to LMS

1 view

Peter

Jun 27, 2008, 3:39:33 PM6/27/08
to WikiEducator
What is the best way to export WE content to a LMS? like Moodle... And
is there any formatting, template usage, etc... we should be aware of
to have this export work with ease?

Thx, Peter

Leigh Blackall

Jun 27, 2008, 7:17:12 PM6/27/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Two easy ways I recon:

Add the <startfeed /> and the beginning of the wiki page, and the <endfeed /> at the end of the page... this now sets up an RSS feed out from the page. You pick up that RSS feed and place it in Moodle and the content will display - links and all. Good because if the WIki gets updated, so does the Moodle.

And I spose you've considered displaying the Wiki page inside Moodle?
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

Jim Tittsler

Jun 27, 2008, 10:21:05 PM6/27/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Peter <praws...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you are playing with my tool that makes a Content Package or Common
Cartridge snapshot of a WikiEducator "collection" you should note that
it does not handle the WE question templates. As for formatting, my
intention is that should the tool ever advance beyond "proof of
concept" stage that it would allow the person exporting the content to
include a custom style sheet that would provide control over what
pieces of the wiki page appear in the LMS snapshot and also style the
presentation of the content for their use... but for now you are stuck
with a trivial stylesheet that met my interests.

valerie

Jun 28, 2008, 9:36:13 AM6/28/08
to WikiEducator
On Jun 27, 4:17 pm, "Leigh Blackall" <leighblack...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And I spose you've considered displaying the Wiki page inside Moodle?

Yes, that is what I would do, so any changes only need to be made in
the WE page. I thought there was some mention of a tool or a template
that would simplify the page display to retain just the "content" of
the page.

Thanks for the RSS procedure - that will come in handy, too!

valerie

Jun 28, 2008, 10:22:21 AM6/28/08
to WikiEducator
On Jun 27, 7:21 pm, "Jim Tittsler" <jtitts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are playing with my tool that makes a Content Package or Common
> Cartridge snapshot of a WikiEducator "collection"

I remember seeing something about this in an earlier discussion, but I
can't find it now. Is this available for us to use? Link?

I looked at eXe and that might be useful - will download and test
shortly. However, I'm really looking for the "thing" that tells the
link to skip the WE stuff and just drop the content here. (For Manila,
you add "?print-friendly=true" to the end of the page URL)

BTW - I searched for "Tools" and found lots of amazing pages with the
word "tools" but not what I was looking for. Is there an index or
repository or category or naming convention that would making finding
these things easier?

Jim Tittsler

Jun 28, 2008, 5:01:34 PM6/28/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM, valerie <vta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 7:21 pm, "Jim Tittsler" <jtitts...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you are playing with my tool that makes a Content Package or Common
>> Cartridge snapshot of a WikiEducator "collection"
>
> I remember seeing something about this in an earlier discussion, but I
> can't find it now. Is this available for us to use? Link?

http://edu.onnz.net/wikieducator/package/

It is just a proof of concept at this stage. It exports a snapshot of
a collection of pages.

It sounds like you are more interested in a live view, so either of
Leigh's suggestions about using RSS or an iframe are better paths to
go.

> I looked at eXe and that might be useful - will download and test
> shortly. However, I'm really looking for the "thing" that tells the
> link to skip the WE stuff and just drop the content here. (For Manila,
> you add "?print-friendly=true" to the end of the page URL)

Yes, my package tool strips off the page wrapper and just includes the
"content" part of each page.

eXe is an authoring tool for content packages (and collections of web
pages). It won't help you extract content from WE.

valerie

Jun 29, 2008, 11:11:43 AM6/29/08
to WikiEducator
Thanks guys! All these will come in handy sooner or later.

"Printable version" in the Toolbox is perfect enough - I used the link
to the printable version as the link to an existing web page in the
Moodle Resource. All the WE wrapper gets stripped off. I include the
printable version page in the same window with the Moodle navigation
on - these are Moodle resource options. Does the job, and looks ok.

Now if there was some way to add white space around the "print" ....