Print templates for new collection feature

1 view

Erik Moeller

Dec 13, 2007, 4:01:01 AM12/13/07
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
All,

the new PDF collection feature that we're currently testing on
WikiEducator.org (see notice on top of pages) allows us to define
print-specific versions of templates. For example, if there is a
Template:Outcomes, the feature will look for Template:Outcomes_print
and, if it exists, use that instead for the PDF generation. Once
again, the pattern is

Template:Some_name => Template:Some_name_print (case-sensitive).

Creating the _print template is all that needs to be done.

This will be necessary to fix problems with the HTML in some of the
templates. (I'll also ask the developers to make the code ignore HTML
which it cannot render.) It could obviously also be useful for other
purposes.

Best,

Erik

mackiwg

Dec 13, 2007, 6:57:18 PM12/13/07
to WikiEducator
Erik,

Very smart!

Currently our pedagogical templates in WE rely on quite a bit of HTML
to manipulate the display. This feature to specify print-specific
versions of our templates will help us to overcome the majority of
problems when producing print-based study materials directly from WE.
Have you coded before? <just kidding - very clever feature>.

So for example, we will be able to suppress the printing of navigation
templates used on many of WE's pages in the print version simply by
having a "blank" template with a carriage return as the only "text" in
the form of Template:Nav_temp_print.

Does the parser recognize <br> as legitimate wiki syntax? If not do
you have any other suggestions for how to save a blank template?

When I get past my backlog of email from my recent travels -- I'll
start testing these features. Can't wait!

Cheers
Wayne

Declan

Dec 13, 2007, 8:08:14 PM12/13/07
to WikiEducator
I love the .pdf feature. The end product is very professionally
formatted and looks great. I like the page numbering.

There are some image issues. The text wrapping is sometimes a little
off such that text sometimes overlaps the bottom of framed images
(example [[An_Inside_Look_at_Apples!]]). Also images placed on pages
using the gallery feature don't show up in the pdf (example:
[[Snow_graphing]].

mackiwg

Dec 13, 2007, 11:20:41 PM12/13/07
to WikiEducator
Hi Declan -

Thanks for the feedback and helping us test the wiki ==> pdf feature.

Would you mind posting your report over here:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Help:Collections/Bug_reports

Cheers
Wayne