Do WikiEducator's want to embed links to video in their OER resources?

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 18, 2010, 7:26:30 PM2/18/10
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

In the past we've received requests from many community members to implement the functionality to embed links to video hosted on third party sites (eg Youtube, BlipTV Vimeo etc). Now that WikiEducator is hosted independently by the OER Foundation, we have more flexibility and autonomy to take a community decision concerning on third party video.
  • Do WikiEducators want the ability to embed links to video clips?
  • What is the best way for us to take this decision?
  • Should we have a trial period to see how this works?
We need and invite your feedback -- so please post your replies to this list.  We will consider all feedback posted over the next two weeks, before deciding on the next steps. Apology for the long email -- but I provide some discussion points below. Third party video is not a simple matter when it comes to the values and meaning of freedom as interpreted by our community values.

Discussion

Embedding video is not a simple question of turning a switch to enable links to third party hosted video. Technically speaking, this is relatively easy to achieve. However,  there are many issues associated with digital video and our core values of the WikiEducator project which we need to consider, most notably the essential freedoms.

WE subscribe to the free cultural works definition and WE need to find a solution which aligns with what we believe as a community OER project. I've been sound boarding a few ideas with colleagues and friends and would appreciate your input and feedback on a few baseline requirements and suggestions.
  • Licensing.  We must be able to identify and search for appropriately licensed video content. This is to ensure that video content we embed adheres to the requirements of the definition of free cultural works. In practice this means we can only use video hosting sites which clearly tag their video content with the relevant copyright license as well as corresponding search functionality to identify resources which are appropriately licensed (eg. CC-0, CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, GFDL and the public domain declaration), Therefore,  Youtube (for example) would not meet this requirement as their existing conditions of service would not enable the implementation of license tagging. Currently WIkiEducator users would not be able to differentiate openly licensed videos from all rights reserved content. However, BlipTV allows users to choose from a number of Creative Commons licenses to apply to their work, and videos are searchable by license. This would enable WIkiEducators to use the Creative Commons search (http://search.creativecommons.org/) facility to easily identify appropriately licensed video on BlipTV.
  • Open file formats. This is a requirement to ensure that our content is stored and accessible in formats which can be edited using free/open source software. In addition this means that source files should be available for download. No WikiEducator should be forced to purchase a license for non-free software in order to remix and create a derivative work from our site. Most video sites (with the exception, for instance, of the Wikimedia Commons) encode video for web delivery using the Flash Video Format (flv) which is a proprietary file format. BlipTV provide a service for their registered users who also have an account with the Internet Archive (http://blip.tv/prefs/archiveorg/ ). In short this facility enables archiving of downloadable video files including the open file format (ogg Theora). Therefore, WikiEducator users who upload video files to BlipTV could register for the Internet Archive service making it easier for educators to download video in the formats of their choice for remix purposes. However, this feature would not solve the problem of open file formats for the video uploaded by BlipTV users who do not register for the Internet Archive service.  Fortunately BlipTV provides the functionality to download the video files, even though these are generally supplied in the flv (proprietary file format). The open source FFmpeg project (http://www.ffmpeg.org/) provides tools to convert flv files into open file formats. Therefore, all WikiEducator would have access to free software tools for remixing source video, thus meeting the requirements of the free cultural works definition.
Therefore the BlipTV hosting site would provide a service which aligns with our values. There are also Mediawiki wiki extensions available for embedding BlipTV video on WikiEducator pages.

Pending a positive assessment of the stability and security of the BlipTV extensions for WikiEducator -- Would the community consider moving forward with providing capability for embedding BlipTV video on the WikiEducator site along the lines suggested above?

Thoughts?

Cheers
Wayne

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,

Mary

Feb 18, 2010, 8:39:48 PM2/18/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I would find embedding videos useful. they are such a strong teaching meduim. Blip tv sounds like a via solution from what I understood  of your explanation. I would vote to proceed with this worthy project.

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 18, 2010, 8:43:58 PM2/18/10
to WikiEducator
Hi Mary,

Thanks for your feedback and vote to support embedding video. I agree
--- videos are powerful teaching tools and our community commitment to
editable resources may trigger some interesting reuse scenarios.

Cheers
Wayne

On Feb 19, 2:39 pm, Mary <lightst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >    license. This would enable WIkiEducators to use the Creative Commons search
> >    (http://search.creativecommons.org/) facility to easily identify
> >    appropriately licensed video on BlipTV.

> >    - *Open file formats. *This is a requirement to ensure that our content

> >    is stored and accessible in formats which can be edited using free/open
> >    source software. In addition this means that source files should be
> >    available for download. No WikiEducator should be forced to purchase a
> >    license for non-free software in order to remix and create a derivative work
> >    from our site. Most video sites (with the exception, for instance, of the
> >    Wikimedia Commons) encode video for web delivery using the Flash Video
> >    Format (flv) which is a proprietary file format. BlipTV provide a service
> >    for their registered users who also have an account with the Internet

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 18, 2010, 10:23:01 PM2/18/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wayne,

I have been using blip.tv for quite some time and it works really well. I know Nellie for sure and Gladys I am sure as well. I also use TipCam to record on-screen instructions, if I want to get instructions across by demonstrating them. The same applies to YouTube, I use them all the time.

Flexibility would be great to have, it enriches a learning environment and adds to one's point at times.

We could use a Doodle Poll. I think it is www.doodle.com
You list your choices and people can enter their name and vote. It works rather well.

I would have to check the licensing (smile!)

I also found this link with lots of open source applications, you might want to take a look at. Maybe we could use some of these.

Cheers,
Patricia

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 18, 2010, 10:47:16 PM2/18/10
to WikiEducator
Hi Patricia,

Appreciate the feedback which I read as a vote in favour of embedding
BlipTV videos :-).

You're right, there are a plethora of tools out there on the web which
folk use every day and we should encourage this as being part of a
networked society!

Many of these tools rely on non-free software -- and that's fine. In
fact our main WikiEducator lists use Google groups (non free software)
where we could just as easily host an open source alternative.

However, when it comes to the core business of our project -- that is
collaborative creation of OER we need to think very carefully about
living out our core values. The videos themselves would constitute
teaching materials which ideally should be available for reuse,
remixing and redistribution. In accordance with our community
governance policy we need to adhere to the free cultural works
definition. Hence all the attention to the detail of licensing, access
to content in free file formats etc :-).

Cheers
Wayne

On Feb 19, 4:23 pm, Patricia Schlicht <patricia.schli...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]

> >    license. This would enable WIkiEducators to use the Creative Commons search
> >    (http://search.creativecommons.org/) facility to easily identify
> >    appropriately licensed video on BlipTV.

> >    - *Open file formats. *This is a requirement to ensure that our content

> >    is stored and accessible in formats which can be edited using free/open
> >    source software. In addition this means that source files should be
> >    available for download. No WikiEducator should be forced to purchase a
> >    license for non-free software in order to remix and create a derivative work
> >    from our site. Most video sites (with the exception, for instance, of the
> >    Wikimedia Commons) encode video for web delivery using the Flash Video
> >    Format (flv) which is a proprietary file format. BlipTV provide a service
> >    for their registered users who also have an account with the Internet

Barbara Dieu

Feb 19, 2010, 5:20:13 AM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking about the Open Video Alliance. Is there any kind of
partnership that could be made with them? They militate for the same
cause and have signed the same chart of intentions :-)
http://openvideoalliance.org/
Warm regards from Brazil,
Bee

--
Barbara Dieu
http://barbaradieu.com

Alison Snieckus

Feb 19, 2010, 8:32:25 AM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Wayne,
As Mary indicated, embedded videos are certainly an enhancement to the learning environment. Being able to directly connect to videos hosted elsewhere and to source and repurpose videos would be a wonderful addiition to WikiEducator's  platform.

I vote to add the necessary technology so we can try this out. A trial period seems like a good idea.

Just wondering, do we have a current solution for handling audio, video and screencasts in the print and offline versions of WE content? I think it's important to keep this need in mind when creating content, although I have to say I'm not completely up on the options here.

Alison

elizabeth mbasu

Feb 19, 2010, 9:05:41 AM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Videos turn abstract concepts into real and contribute to constructive learning. I vote for incorporating links to suitable video sites.
Elizabeth

Randy Fisher

Feb 19, 2010, 9:24:21 AM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I add my voice to the growing chorus <smile>

- Randy

PS. Barbara - do you want to open a dialogue up with that reference - Open Video Alliance that you suggested?

- Randy
Open Education is a sustainable and renewable resource.

________________
Randy Fisher, MA, OMD
Senior Consultant, Organization Development, Intersol Group, Canada

Senior Consultant, Organization & Business Development
International Centre for Open Education / OER Foundation, New Zealand

Elected Member, WikiEducator Community Council, www.wikieducator.org
+1 613.722.5577 (EST)
Skype: wikirandy
Twitter: wikirandy

* Change / Transition Management, Integration & Performance
* Organization Design & Development
* Project Implementation & Stakeholder Engagement
* E-Learning, Online Collaboration & Learning Communities
* Coaching & Facilitation
* My Bio: http://www.communitybuildingexpert.com

Barbara Dieu

Feb 19, 2010, 1:49:05 PM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
>PS. Barbara - do you want to open a dialogue up with that reference - Open Video Alliance that you suggested?

What do you mean, Randy? Contact them and check whether they would be interested in bringing their Open Video expertise to WE?
Is this of interest to the community?

B.

Randy Fisher

Feb 19, 2010, 3:48:23 PM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barbara,

Contact them - tell them about WikiEducator -  and ask them what their interests are, and how it might be possible to work together   and/or support each other.

- Randy

Open Education is a sustainable and renewable resource.

________________
Randy Fisher, MA, OMD
Senior Consultant, Change & Transition Management, Intersol Group, Canada

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 19, 2010, 8:21:20 PM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allison,

I think a trial period is sensible. We can see how this works, think carefully about processes, procedures and pilot any templates that may be required to support embedding video links in ways which align with our community values. With this experience we would then be in a position to think about a community workgroup to formulate guidelines or policy if required.

My thinking is that we need to be very clear that we will start with a trial period -- which means that we can adapt. modify or revert back to the default position in good wiki tradition :-).

Excellent question regarding what we should do with rich media for print versions. We've been a bit of thinking about this and have laid the foundations for doing some interesting technical magic for the future.

When WE first specified the requirements for the development of our Wiki ==> pdf technology in collaboration with Pedia Press and the Wikimedia foundation (http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikis_Go_Printable ) we made sure that it would be possible to specify print specific behaviours for Mediawiki templates.  So for example, we can exclude navigation templates from printing or alternatively specify a different layout for the print version. This would be useful for online interaction like multiple choice questions with feedback for correct and incorrect answers. Online the learner will click their choice and receive immediate feedback. In the print version, we may want to print the answers and feedback at the end of the chapter.

Similarly, if a learning resource contains rich media like a video, the print version could indicate an activity for the learner to view, for instance, Video No.1 on the CD provided with course materials  -- When a print collection is compiled,  the WikiEducator/ Mediawiki software could generate a master CDROM image with the correct numbering of the videos and cross references. This CDROM could be duplicated locally and posted with the print versions of the study guides. The vast majority of learners around the world do not have reliable and/or affordable connectivity -- therefore this technology is vital for widening access to open content. Technically this would be possible, and we have established the foundations to move forward. The development of this technology is on the OER Foundation roadmap --- the missing piece is finding the funding for the software development work. That said, its been my experience that all good projects get funded :-).

In the interim we could develop a "Video template" where the print version will provide urls for the video downloads -- which is why its important for us to ensure that educators / learners must have access to downloadable versions of rich media.

Wow -- can you imagine the impact these technologies could have in widening access to high quality learning materials, all available under free content licenses :-)

Hey -- lets make the future happen.

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 19, 2010, 8:23:16 PM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Elizabeth,

Appreciate your vote.

You will see from my response to Alison that we're thinking about ways in which we would be able to provide offline versions of rich media, especially for learners who may not have access to the internet.

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 19, 2010, 8:28:08 PM2/19/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barbara,

The openvideo alliances is an important voice working towards open and free formats for video. I don't know if you noticed, but Kaltura -- the open source video team are one of the OVA members. WikiEducator was one of the first mainstream educational wikis to trial and implement Kaltura video functionality on our site -- See: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Invites_Users_to_Take_Part_in_Open%2C_Collaborative_Video_Experiment

We're in good company :-)

Cheers
Wayne

elizabeth mbasu

Feb 20, 2010, 11:52:19 AM2/20/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Wayne. This idea would be especially useful for Sub-Sahara countries. More than 80% of learners may not access internet.The situation could be worse for primary and secondary schools.
Elizabeth

gene aronin

Feb 25, 2010, 1:46:46 AM2/25/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Here is a humble additional opinion from newcomer Gene-loeb. I agree that we should try it according to the suggestions of Wayne, Patricia and others. I believe we need to stay with our systems of value ande which will simplify things by having set parameters for choices which is, for inexperienced me a big help. We need to keep up with these advances.
Thanks for the conscientiousness and caring of all of you.
gene

With Best Wishes for an Even Better Day

Gene-loeb
Gene-loeb Aronin, Ph.D.

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 26, 2010, 12:14:18 AM2/26/10
to WikiEducator
Hi Everyone --

Wow -- its nearly weekend again. How time flies when you having fun!

Thanks for the contributions and reflections on the question to
consider embedding links to rich media hosted by third party sites.
We're now a working week into thinking about these questions and have
another working week to add thoughts ideas and suggestions before
considering a trial implementation.

I've summarised our progress to date in the wiki:

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Embedding_links_to_third_party_content

Please take a look and see whether this encapsulates our thinking and
core values.

In a number of offline conversions I've had with colleagues, the
question of ancillary services / data has arisen. Ancillary data
refers to services which are not part of the core mission of
WikiEducator -- in other words data which are not OER. Examples would
include RSS feeds from blogs keeping the community up to date,
discussion forum feeds, calendar widgets to help with planning
projects.

For pragmatic reasons this would appear to be a workable compromise.
We do not have authority over the technology policies, for instance of
blogging services used by WikiEducator members. Where these feeds or
data do not constitute OERs hosted by WIkiEducator, I think this would
fall under our obligations to respect freedom of choice.

Is this a fair and reasonable interpretation? I've added a suggestion
that in the case of Ancillary I have suggested that WE would encourage
the use of service providers that provide exports in open file
formats.

Let us know what you think -- we have a working week left to consider
feedback.

Cheers
Wayne

On Feb 19, 1:26 pm, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]

>    license. This would enable WIkiEducators to use the Creative Commons search
>    (http://search.creativecommons.org/) facility to easily identify
>    appropriately licensed video on BlipTV.

>    - *Open file formats. *This is a requirement to ensure that our content

>    is stored and accessible in formats which can be edited using free/open
>    source software. In addition this means that source files should be
>    available for download. No WikiEducator should be forced to purchase a
>    license for non-free software in order to remix and create a derivative work
>    from our site. Most video sites (with the exception, for instance, of the
>    Wikimedia Commons) encode video for web delivery using the Flash Video
>    Format (flv) which is a proprietary file format. BlipTV provide a service
>    for their registered users who also have an account with the Internet

Edward Cherlin

Feb 26, 2010, 12:22:59 AM2/26/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in embedding links to Python and Smalltalk software of
considerable generality, including graphics, animations, and video,
and then capturing videos for posting elsewhere.

> --

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 26, 2010, 12:40:55 AM2/26/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edward,

BTW -- congrats on the progress with the open text book project. Well done! (Have been a little snowed under to get to the posts on the list :-(.)

From a values perspective that sounds very reasonable.

Personally I don't have the technical knowledge to assess any security related issued with embedding links to external code. This is way above my salary level ;-)

That said -- I know that you will be able to provide us with valuable advise on the security issues -- have a chat with Jim. Lets see what we can do.

Cheers
Wayne

Joshua Gay

Feb 26, 2010, 9:40:11 AM2/26/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm new to this list. My name is Joshua Gay and I work at www.ck12.org and I also help run textbookrevolution.org. I am also user jgay on IRC.

When it comes to embedding scripting languages or media one approach worth looking at is  modtex + wikitex by Peter Danenberg. Here is a link with some examples: http://wikisophia.org/wiki/Wikitex -- My favorite example is of Lillypond music annotation. What it returns is an image of sheet music as well as a midi file.

Obviously there are limitations with this system and it might not provide a complete solution, but form an implementation point of view, Peter has addressed many security concerns in his design of modtex that are worth a look. For those of you who lurk on IRC, Peter runs #wikitex and has username klutometis :-)

Also, in terms of embedding videos, one thing at CK12 that we came across when started allow the embedding of videos on our wiki (mediawiki) and our FlexBook service is the issue that YouTube (and increasingly other video sharing sites) often has advertisments tied to the video you stream.  There are ways around this in the case of YouTube, but, it poses a general policy issue that is non-technical (as it can effect any type of third-party multimedia) and worth bringing up early on in the discussion. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Cheers,

-Josh
"Every time the word 'achievement' or 'academics' is used to mean test scores we cheapen the meaning of both terms." --Deborah Meier

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 26, 2010, 4:24:44 PM2/26/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

Welcome on the list. Both CK12 and the textbookrevolution are great projects.  We should have a look and explore ideas for inter project collaboration  most notably content interoperability between our platforms. You already have an impressive filter for Mediawiki @ Flexbooks :-)  Is it possible to go the other way as well?

We run the PediaPress collection extension (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection) -- which we co-funded when I was still based at COL in collaboration with WMF (see: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikis_Go_Printable ) So what's interesting here is the beta-version of exporting a wiki collection as an odt which has exiting potential for educators to customise textbooks on the desktops :-).  Anyways -- I digress.

The Lilypond example @ http://wikisophia.org/wiki/Wikitex  is very COOL.

What are your thoughts on the security issues of Wikitext -- i.e.would you install this on your wiki ;-). Also any thoughts on issues or what we might do to deal produce consistent output with the collections extension?

Appreciate your heads up on the advertising issue. Our de facto practice is not to permit advertising on the wikieducator.org sites, so I'll add this to the list of requirements.

Cheers
Wayne

simonfj

Mar 3, 2010, 5:18:27 AM3/3/10
to WikiEducator
Hi Wayne et al,

I'll just vote for the use of Blip as, short term, it offers the
ability to embed a video with an approriate license, and find them via
the cc.org search tool. A bit of a band aid approach but no can say
the WE community ain't creative.

Longer term, in the (academic) video communities the considerations
are the same as the WE model = how to set up a spot in cyberspace so a
disciplinary community can get together and produce content, capture
their communications, stream them, build an archive & create a way for
global communities to find them; regardless of their preferred
language. The only real complication to the model is that they are
attempting to bring the real time stuff and (say) asynchronous stuff
to the same "publishing point" (as the comms guys will call it). E.g.
WE groups would probably like to stream events from the WE domain as a
publishing point, record it and then archive at the same (streaming)
point, which enhances the community archive while reinforcing the
domain's 'attractive' qualities.

I'm in Spain now primarily to see if the terena communities won't work
together in order to provide a solution to the global communities who
span the Trans European Research & Education Networks.

The agenda's are beginning to form up now. I'll just point you at
these three task force agendas.
Storage/Archiving. http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-storage/ws7/agenda.html
Streaming and distribution. http://www.terena.org/activities/media/meeting1/programme.html
Real Time Comms and promotion. http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-cpr/

(Thats not quite right as a description of each but, taken together,
covers the main issues). Terena is attractive to me primarily as their
communities must address the language challenge = where one domain
aggregates the raw materials in a commons in order to share them with
similar disciplinarians/different languages. (gives me a chance to
learn Espanol as well).

Hope this note doesn't distract you from just doing what you have in
mind (as if I could). Just tuck it away for future reference.
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/foi/events/fippp/index_en.htm
All the best.

Randy Fisher

Mar 3, 2010, 8:09:35 AM3/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Regarding your meetings with Terena, please put in a plug for upcoming WikiResearcher.org

http://wikieducator.org/OERF:Projects#WikiResearcher

Thanks,

- Randy

Open Education is a sustainable and renewable resource.

________________
Randy Fisher, MA, OMD
Senior Consultant, Change Management, eCollaboration & Performance
Intersol Group, Canada

Senior Consultant, Organization & Capacity Development

International Centre for Open Education / OER Foundation, New Zealand

Elected Member, WikiEducator Community Council, www.wikieducator.org
+1 613.722.5577 (EST)
Skype: wikirandy
Twitter: wikirandy

* Organization Design & Development
* Stakeholder Engagement & Implementation

Samuel Rose

Mar 3, 2010, 10:22:36 AM3/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Wayne Mackintosh
<mackinto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Lilypond example @ http://wikisophia.org/wiki/Wikitex  is very COOL.
>
> What are your thoughts on the security issues of Wikitext -- i.e.would you
> install this on your wiki ;-). Also any thoughts on issues or what we might
> do to deal produce consistent output with the collections extension?

Going to be looking into wikitex myself soon, and will report back
here what I find re: security.

> Cheers
> Wayne
>
> --
> Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
> Director,
> International Centre for Open Education,
> Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
> Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
> Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
> Mobile +64 21 2436 380
> User Page: http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg
> Skype: WGMNZ1
> Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

Sam Rose
Forward Foundation
Social Synergy
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samue...@gmail.com
http://socialsynergyweb.com
http://forwardfound.org
http://socialsynergyweb.org/culturing
http://flowsbook.panarchy.com/
http://socialmediaclassroom.com
http://localfoodsystems.org
http://notanemployee.net
http://communitywiki.org
http://wikieducator.org

ambition." - Carl Sagan

Wayne Mackintosh

Mar 3, 2010, 4:40:50 PM3/3/10
to WikiEducator
Thanks Sam,

Look forward to hearing back on the security issues of wikitex.

Cheers
Wayne

On Mar 4, 4:22 am, Samuel Rose <samuel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Wayne Mackintosh
>

> <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Lilypond example @http://wikisophia.org/wiki/Wikitex is very COOL.

> email: samuel.r...@gmail.comhttp://socialsynergyweb.comhttp://forwardfound.orghttp://socialsynergyweb.org/culturinghttp://flowsbook.panarchy.com/http://socialmediaclassroom.comhttp://localfoodsystems.orghttp://notanemployee.nethttp://communitywiki.orghttp://wikieducator.org

Wayne Mackintosh

Mar 3, 2010, 4:50:07 PM3/3/10
to WikiEducator
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the feedback -- It seems that Blip TV is the best short-
term solution, one which meets all our requirements for open content
and free cultural works licensing.

The future re Trans European Research & Education Networks looks
promising -- I look forward to seeing this become a reality. Will you
put in a plug for decent search capabilities on rights and licensing
plus support for hosting open file format equivalents in the design
of these networks?

Cheers
Wayne

On Mar 3, 11:18 pm, simonfj <simo...@cols.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Wayne et al,
>
> I'll just vote for the use of Blip as, short term, it offers the
> ability to embed a video with an approriate license, and find them via
> the cc.org search tool. A bit of a band aid approach but  no can say
> the WE community ain't creative.
>
> Longer term, in the (academic) video communities the considerations
> are the same as the WE model = how to set up a spot in cyberspace so a
> disciplinary community can get together and produce content, capture
> their communications, stream them, build an archive & create a way for
> global communities to find them; regardless of their preferred
> language. The only real complication to the model is that they are
> attempting to bring the real time stuff and (say) asynchronous stuff
> to the same "publishing point" (as the comms guys will call it). E.g.
> WE groups would probably like to stream events from the WE domain as a
> publishing point, record it and then archive at the same (streaming)
> point, which enhances the community archive while reinforcing the
> domain's 'attractive' qualities.
>
> I'm in Spain now primarily to see if the terena communities won't work
> together in order to provide a solution to the global communities who
> span the Trans European Research & Education Networks.
>
> The agenda's are beginning to form up now. I'll just point you at
> these three task force agendas.
> Storage/Archiving.http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-storage/ws7/agenda.html

> Streaming and distribution.http://www.terena.org/activities/media/meeting1/programme.html
> Real Time Comms and promotion.http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-cpr/

> (Thats not quite right as a description of each but, taken together,
> covers the main issues). Terena is attractive to me primarily as their
> communities must address the language challenge = where one domain
> aggregates the raw materials in a commons in order to share them with
> similar disciplinarians/different languages. (gives me a chance to
> learn Espanol as well).
>
> Hope this note doesn't distract you from just doing what you have in

> mind (as if I could). Just tuck it away for future reference.http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/foi/events/fippp/i...
> All the best.

Alan

Mar 3, 2010, 7:24:30 PM3/3/10
to WikiEducator
Hi Wayne,
A very interesting issue and one that will impact on a couple of
projects we are starting here at the DE Hub. One is to produce a Music
OER and we were considering using the software program Sibelius for
students to compose with its available on a 30 day trial and has a
free reader for viewing the compositions etc. It sound like this will
not be possible given the WE values, which I also endorse. More
thinking on my part as how we proceed with the project. A second issue
and question for us is how do we situation producing a screen capture
video using 'Jing' on resizing images for the web, which demonstrate
how to use Microsoft's Media Manager and Macs Preview. I guess we run
into the similar problems. We discovered that many of our students
using images in their assignments were not savy about file size and
images phsical size. We produced one here to provide to our students
and thought this could be a useful as an OER on WE.
On the broader issue I concur with the Bliptv trial and will be
looking to see if it provides a solution for the Music ORE.
Cheers,
Alan.

On Mar 4, 8:40 am, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > email: samuel.r...@gmail.comhttp://socialsynergyweb.comhttp://forwardfound.orghttp://socialsynerg...

Wayne Mackintosh

Mar 3, 2010, 9:23:40 PM3/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan, good questions and great post.

Thanks also for your support for the BlipTV trial.

The issues you raise in your post refer to a real projects in the real world. As a community we need to think creatively about how we can support future OER authors without compromising the WE community values. WE respect the freedom of users to use the software of their choice while at the same time ensuring that we adhere to the free cultural works definition as a core baseline value.

A few thoughts and reflections:

  • I'm not an expert on the specialist software used in music education etc, however there may be a few useful open source equivalents for example Lily Pond (http://lilypond.org/switch/tour), NoteEdit (http://noteedit.berlios.de/), NtEd (http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml ) -- so their may be alternatives for students who choose to use free software.
  • If students will be developing audio files as part of their project -- we have an excellent set of training materials on using Audacity (the free software audio editing package) -- see http://wikieducator.org/Using_Audacity
  • WikiEducator has no problems or issues with developing OERs on how to use non-free software products, for example, tutorials on using MS Word, Microsoft's Media Manager and Macs Preview -- the only issue for us is that open teaching materials must be available in open file formats.
  • The difficult issue with screen casts is the question of registered trademarks (eg software logo of the software you are teaching). Typically the logo and software interface is trademarked and this will be captured in the screen cast. I think there are reasonable grounds to argue fair dealing in this case, and I feel that we should argue fair dealing / fair usage . I suspect that most companies would not have an issue with the development training materials to support their products. But nonetheless something to be aware of -- note that I'm not a qualified legal professional, but I believe this to be reasonable and fair use.
  • Developing screen casts can get complicated when dealing with the free and non-free software issues. In WikiEucator our approach has been "ethically pragmatic" -- for example, we have created a series of screen casts for our tutorials (e.g. http://wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_rich_text_editor_tutorials/Editing_basics/Show_me_how ). These were created using Wink  (http://www.debugmode.com/wink/) -- this is freeware, but not open source software. It exports flash file format (.swf) which is a closed file format :-(. Our practical workaround is to allow the use of swf files on condition that the content is released under an open content license on the basis that we can reverse engineer the source files with open source software.
Hope this helps with your planning.

Cheers
Wayne

Edward Cherlin

Mar 3, 2010, 10:42:22 PM3/3/10
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 00:40, Wayne Mackintosh
<mackinto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Edward,
>
> BTW -- congrats on the progress with the open text book project. Well done!
> (Have been a little snowed under to get to the posts on the list :-(.)
>
> From a values perspective that sounds very reasonable.

Thank you.

> Personally I don't have the technical knowledge to assess any security
> related issued with embedding links to external code. This is way above my
> salary level ;-)

This is within the context of an education suite with strong security
built in. Sugar for the XO laptop gives schools control over who can
share sessions with their students, and secures school servers where
lessons would reside. Access to the underlying file system and to
administrator commands can be largely open, for students of
programming and Computer Science, or completely shut down, or anything
in between. The idea is to make a fairly standard Linux distribution
at least as safe as a Java sandbox. We would only allow lessons to
call Sugar activities, including Python, Etoys Smalltalk, UCBLogo, and
Turtle Art. We will Sugarize other programming languages as needed.

Some years ago I documented security APIs for VeriSign, and the
security people at OLPC and Sugar Labs know a great deal more about
the matter than I do.

> That said -- I know that you will be able to provide us with valuable advise
> on the security issues -- have a chat with Jim. Lets see what we can do.

Certainly.

simonfj

Mar 5, 2010, 12:12:42 PM3/5/10
to WikiEducator
Thanks Randy,

I've set myself the task of trying to encourage first the network guys
- terena people are mainly the techs from each nren in europe - and
the guys from my alma mater - http://sae.edu/en-gb/news_overview/726/News
- mainly AV guys and web designers in dozens of countries, to start
talking. These are primarily technical guys = terena for the networks
and SAE for the front end to the networks. I'm trying to figure out
how content producers, like the WE community, can be introduced into
this equation.

Content is the most important thing but most content producers won't
understand how functionality can be built into 'converging smart
networks', and networks are useless without good content. The main
change is having National REN's reconfigured to support global
(disciplinary centric) content 'prosumers' instead of national
institutions. Believe me WE (and the WMF) is at the top of my mind
when it comes to talking to NREN techs about "the producer/customer".

Give me a little time to get my feet under the table in Europe.
I'll just leave you with these 2 links to terena's conference last
year and the agenda for this year, to give yu an overview of their
community's perspectives.
http://tnc2009.terena.org/
http://tnc2010.terena.org/schedule/

I'll just mention that it's getting close to running a series of
workshops between different global spots at the same time (and
streaming, recording archiving video in the one place). So if you'd
like to factor that approach into your thinking, when those in the .eu
domain get around to working through how they will be linking up with
the Americas and Asia we can start talking about how the project will
be funded.

All the best, simon

simonfj

Mar 8, 2010, 8:07:59 AM3/8/10
to WikiEducator
Just a note; not sure if its of any use.
This is an open source media platform (with transcoder) put together
for the Dutch NREN.
http://www.mediamosa.org/node/20

Wayne Mackintosh

Mar 8, 2010, 11:02:01 PM3/8/10
to WikiEducator
Hi Everyone,

On 19 Feb 2010, we started a discussion about links to embed video
hosted on third party sites and we agreed to keep the discussion open
for two weeks. We also discussed proposed guidelines which should
underpin our use of video in WikiEducator in accordance with our core
values.

There is considerable agreement that video content will enhance the
quality of our teaching materials. I have summarised our discussions
and thoughts on this page:

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Embedding_links_to_third_party_content

Please take a look and see whether this summarises a consensus view of
the discussion. If not -- let us know.

I would like to table these guidelines for consideration at the next
Community Council Meeting.