WikiEducator account creation confirmation

1 view

Jim Tittsler

Dec 19, 2015, 10:38:42 PM12/19/15
to wikieducator-tech

WikiEducator has been deluged by spam again in recent days. I have installed the ConfirmAccount extension which requires a WE bureaucrat to approve account requests. The new user is asked to provide a little information about themselves. When the bureaucrat is reviewing accounts he can see such things as:
 - the reason the person gave for wanting a WE account
 - the IP address that was being used
 - whether or not the user has confirmed their email address

I hope this will be a temporary measure until I can update one of my old spambot friends... but this is worth a try to see just how much friction this adds to an ideally "open" signup scheme.

Jim

--
Jim Tittsler                 Tokyo
 http://OERfoundation.org/

Wayne Mackintosh

Dec 19, 2015, 11:00:51 PM12/19/15
to wikieduc...@googlegroups.com
Jim

Thanks for your prompt action - been deleting and blocking a large number of posts these past days. These could mount up over the holidays and welcome your interim measure.

Wayne Mackintosh
Director OER Foundation and OERu facilitator
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: Mackiwg