Feature request...

blogge...@recursor.net

Dec 22, 2008, 12:37:05 PM12/22/08
to wikidpa...@googlegroups.com
sent to: wiki...@yahoogroups.com

Hi,

Following a recent batch of format related requests, and while making some minor edits in the plugins page of the wikidPad wiki (http://wikidpad.python-hosting.com/wiki/ListOfUserScripts), it occurred to me that a lot of these would be easily solved by conformance with whatever standards exist for wikis and wiki software. They can be (mostly) summed with four entries:

- CURIE, i.e., Compact URIs (http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-curie-20070307/), an emerging W3C standard which is still being drafted (s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURIE for info);

- Creole (http://www.wikicreole.org/)a lightweight markup for formatting text, aimed at being a common syntax for wikis {s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_(markup) for info};

- txt2tags (http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/), a document generator that reads a text file with minimal markup (such as **bold** and //italic//) and converts it to a number of formats, including common markups (HTML & XML), Wikipedia, Dokuwiki, MoinMoin and Google Code wiki formats, as well as TeX, PageMaker and plain text (for an existing implemention of this into wiki software, check http://wixi.sourceforge.net/);

- All of these are more or less related to the Interwiki idea(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interwiki), as exposed by the MoinMoin (http://moinmo.in/InterWiki) & Meatball (http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?InterWiki)communities), but there seems to be a general consensus that this is one difficult and far reaching goal.

My point: what if the original Gadfly and original SQLite texts files generated by wikidPad were, for example, txt2tags compliant? It could be used as an extension gateway to accomplish almost anything with the data entered in a wikidPad wiki.

Compliance with Creole would guaranty that one could simply copy and paste wikidPad code into a lot of other online wikis, with obvious interoperability gains, and I think the appeal of CURIE is mostly self explanatory. While I am no coder, I feel these are sensible proposals that would maybe fit into wikidPad development.

Sorry for a longuish exposé, but I felt I couldn't let this idea pass by.

Happy festivities to all,

Midas

Florent

Jan 4, 2009, 4:23:38 PM1/4/09
to wikidpad-devel
Hello all,
Very new to Wikidpad (one week) and absolutely loving it because it
eases so much my scenaristic work, i was wondering why not include an
option that would automatically link any already existing bracketed
word. Example: i have so many character in a story, why couldn't i
just type in a character's name and get it to link to the his/her
description, instead of each time having to use brackets around it (or
having to CTRL+J it)?

Just an idea, sorry if this has been mentionned before.

Great work, i happen to find Wikidpad just awesome. It has helped me
organise all my different files into one for each story i write. I've
been looking for a tool like this for a long time.

On 22 déc 2008, 18:37, blogger.mi...@recursor.net wrote:
> sent to: wikid...@yahoogroups.com
>
> Hi,
>
> Following a recent batch of format related requests, and while making some minor edits in the plugins page of the wikidPad wiki (http://wikidpad.python-hosting.com/wiki/ListOfUserScripts), it occurred to me that a lot of these would be easily solved by conformance with whatever standards exist for wikis and wiki software. They can be (mostly) summed with four entries:
>
> - CURIE, i.e., Compact URIs (http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-curie-20070307/), an emerging W3C standard which is still being drafted (s.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURIEfor info);
>
> - Creole (http://www.wikicreole.org/)alightweight markup for formatting text, aimed at being a common syntax for wikis {s.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_(markup) for info};
>
> - txt2tags (http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/), a document generator that reads a text file with minimal markup (such as **bold** and //italic//) and converts it to a number of formats, including common markups (HTML & XML), Wikipedia, Dokuwiki, MoinMoin and Google Code wiki formats, as well as TeX, PageMaker and plain text (for an existing implemention of this into wiki software, checkhttp://wixi.sourceforge.net/);

farvardin

Jan 14, 2009, 7:25:22 AM1/14/09
to wikidpad-devel
Hello,

I'd really like to use wikidpad with the syntax of txt2tags. Do you
know if someone has already adapted txt2tags on it?

On 22 déc 2008, 18:37, blogger.mi...@recursor.net wrote:

> - txt2tags (http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/), a document generator that reads a text file with minimal markup (such as **bold** and //italic//) and converts it to a number of formats, including common markups (HTML & XML), Wikipedia, Dokuwiki, MoinMoin and Google Code wiki formats, as well as TeX, PageMaker and plain text (for an existing implemention of this into wiki software, checkhttp://wixi.sourceforge.net/);

Bjorn

Jan 16, 2009, 10:54:07 AM1/16/09
to wikidpad-devel
Shanging the syntax to txt2tags seems like a brilliant idea!
/bjorn

Michael Butscher

Jan 16, 2009, 4:04:26 PM1/16/09
blogge...@recursor.net wrote:
> sent to: wiki...@yahoogroups.com
>
> Hi,
>
> Following a recent batch of format related requests, and while making some minor edits in the plugins page of the wikidPad wiki (http://wikidpad.python-hosting.com/wiki/ListOfUserScripts), it occurred to me that a lot of these would be easily solved by conformance with whatever standards exist for wikis and wiki software. They can be (mostly) summed with four entries:
>
> - CURIE, i.e., Compact URIs (http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-curie-20070307/), an emerging W3C standard which is still being drafted (s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURIE for info);
>
> - Creole (http://www.wikicreole.org/)a lightweight markup for formatting text, aimed at being a common syntax for wikis {s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_(markup) for info};
>
> - txt2tags (http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/), a document generator that reads a text file with minimal markup (such as **bold** and //italic//) and converts it to a number of formats, including common markups (HTML & XML), Wikipedia, Dokuwiki, MoinMoin and Google Code wiki formats, as well as TeX, PageMaker and plain text (for an existing implemention of this into wiki software, check http://wixi.sourceforge.net/);
>
> - All of these are more or less related to the Interwiki idea(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interwiki), as exposed by the MoinMoin (http://moinmo.in/InterWiki) & Meatball (http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?InterWiki)communities), but there seems to be a general consensus that this is one difficult and far reaching goal.
>
> My point: what if the original Gadfly and original SQLite texts files generated by wikidPad were, for example, txt2tags compliant? It could be used as an extension gateway to accomplish almost anything with the data entered in a wikidPad wiki.

The problem is that some elements of WikidPad, namely attributes and
insertions are not supported or only partly supported by txt2tags and
Creole.

This would mean that either these features are not available if using
one of these syntaxes or that extensions must be made to the syntaxes so
the result is no longer compliant to the original syntax.

CURIE is of course a very interesting idea.

Michael

Michael Butscher

Jan 28, 2009, 6:25:56 AM1/28/09
Florent wrote:
> Hello all,
> Very new to Wikidpad (one week) and absolutely loving it because it
> eases so much my scenaristic work, i was wondering why not include an
> option that would automatically link any already existing bracketed
> word. Example: i have so many character in a story, why couldn't i
> just type in a character's name and get it to link to the his/her
> description, instead of each time having to use brackets around it (or
> having to CTRL+J it)?
>
> Just an idea, sorry if this has been mentionned before.

Look in the help wiki on page "WikiDocumentAttributes" and search for
the "auto_link" attribute.

Michael