Pythonistas! SPARC-optimized 2.5.2 installed

Tim Bray

Jun 12, 2008, 9:10:10 PM6/12/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com
In /opt/coolstack/bin

No idea how much (if any) it'll help, but I'd be eager to hear. -Tim

Alex Morega

Jun 13, 2008, 4:01:42 AM6/13/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 13, 2008, at 04:10 , Tim Bray wrote:

> In /opt/coolstack/bin
>
> No idea how much (if any) it'll help, but I'd be eager to hear. -Tim

That's nice. I thought coolstack did not have a Python build.

I'm also going to try to run with Stackless Python, I hear it's good
for threading.

James Aylett

Jun 13, 2008, 6:33:55 AM6/13/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 06:10:10PM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:

> In /opt/coolstack/bin
>
> No idea how much (if any) it'll help, but I'd be eager to hear. -Tim

Interesting. It may be making a /slight/ improvement over my
home-built 2.5 32 bit on O.10m, but probably within the margin of
error. Strangely, I'm seeing faster results on my 2.5 than previously,
so I'm going to have to do some more digging.

James

James Aylett xapian.org
ja...@tartarus.org uncertaintydivision.org

James Aylett

Jun 13, 2008, 7:14:48 AM6/13/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:33:55AM +0100, James Aylett wrote:

> > In /opt/coolstack/bin
> > No idea how much (if any) it'll help, but I'd be eager to hear. -Tim
>
> Interesting. It may be making a /slight/ improvement over my
> home-built 2.5 32 bit on O.10m, but probably within the margin of
> error. Strangely, I'm seeing faster results on my 2.5 than previously,
> so I'm going to have to do some more digging.

There isn't much between the Coolstack version of 32 bit 2.5 and mine,
but it seems slightly in its favour. Over the times we're talking
about for the top of the WF-2 table, the difference will be in the
seconds (around 1-2%); Coolstack versus the built-in 32 bit 2.4.4, I'm
seeing a 10% improvement, so that's a big win.

Alex Morega

Jun 13, 2008, 8:10:15 AM6/13/08
to wide-...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 13, 2008, at 14:14 , James Aylett wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:33:55AM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
>
>>> In /opt/coolstack/bin
>>> No idea how much (if any) it'll help, but I'd be eager to hear. -
>>> Tim
>>
>> Interesting. It may be making a /slight/ improvement over my
>> home-built 2.5 32 bit on O.10m, but probably within the margin of
>> error. Strangely, I'm seeing faster results on my 2.5 than
>> previously,
>> so I'm going to have to do some more digging.
>
> There isn't much between the Coolstack version of 32 bit 2.5 and mine,
> but it seems slightly in its favour. Over the times we're talking
> about for the top of the WF-2 table, the difference will be in the
> seconds (around 1-2%); Coolstack versus the built-in 32 bit 2.4.4, I'm
> seeing a 10% improvement, so that's a big win.

So that's probably caused by a faster interpreter in Python 2.5?

James Aylett

Jun 13, 2008, 8:56:21 AM6/13/08
to wide-finder
On Jun 13, 1:10 pm, Alex Morega <a...@grep.ro> wrote:
> > Coolstack versus the built-in 32 bit 2.4.4, I'm
> > seeing a 10% improvement, so that's a big win.
>
> So that's probably caused by a faster interpreter in Python 2.5?

I'm guessing a combination of improvements in the interpreter itself
along with algorithmic improvements in the built-in libraries and
types.

James