Meguiars: M105 or Ultimate Compound / M205 or Swirl X

Joey

Jul 15, 2010, 8:51:54 AM7/15/10
to wetshine
Hi all. I have been researching the two sets of compounds above, and
from a number of readings, it seems like M105 is almost like Ultimate
Compound, and M205 is almost like Swirl X. Considering that Ultimate
Compound and Swirl X are consumer products and locally available, is
there any special reason to get M105+M205 instead?

Seckin Bodur

Jul 15, 2010, 9:14:33 AM7/15/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
I were trying to make up my mind between these products and made a good search just today. I'll try to answer with all the opinions I have collected.

You are right. If you are using a DA for paintwork correction Ultimate Compound and SwirlX would give you just similar results 105+205 would give. Their main advantages start if you use rotary for correction. 105 and 205 are rotary approved compounds/polishes and ther performa better on a rotary. You can adjust the cut level of 105 by switching your pad between a wool pad and a polishing pad. And therefore, with the help of a wool pad 105 sits at the top of the chart with a 12/12 cut, while Ultimate Compound is sorted somewhere near 10/12 in the same chart. Likewise, SwirlX is rated a bit higher in cut than 205 and this can make it a good one step solution for a well kept daily drivers correction. 205 while can still correct up to some level on a rotary it is rated with a lower cut level than SwirlX and can finish better under scope view. 205 is mainly generated to be used in a 105 session and to make a perfect finish, while SwirlX is more of a one step correction polish.

Anyway, I finally could make up my mind and decided on the consumer level products to work with a DA, but I believe I could work faster and sharper with the pro products if I had my rotary skills excelled.

Joey

Jul 15, 2010, 12:17:33 PM7/15/10
to wetshine
How about using by hand? I dont have a DA or ROB, so my hand is my
best friend for now.

On Jul 15, 9:14 pm, Seckin Bodur <seckinbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I were trying to make up my mind between these products and made a good
> search just today. I'll try to answer with all the opinions I have
> collected.
>
> You are right. If you are using a DA for paintwork correction Ultimate
> Compound and SwirlX would give you just similar results 105+205 would give.
> Their main advantages start if you use rotary for correction. 105 and 205
> are rotary approved compounds/polishes and ther performa better on a rotary.
> You can adjust the cut level of 105 by switching your pad between a wool pad
> and a polishing pad. And therefore, with the help of a wool pad 105 sits at
> the top of the chart with a 12/12 cut, while Ultimate Compound is sorted
> somewhere near 10/12 in the same chart. Likewise, SwirlX is rated a bit
> higher in cut than 205 and this can make it a good one step solution for a
> well kept daily drivers correction. 205 while can still correct up to some
> level on a rotary it is rated with a lower cut level than SwirlX and can
> finish better under scope view. 205 is mainly generated to be used in a 105
> session and to make a perfect finish, while SwirlX is more of a one step
> correction polish.
>
> Anyway, I finally could make up my mind and decided on the consumer level
> products to work with a DA, but I believe I could work faster and sharper
> with the pro products if I had my rotary skills excelled.

Seckin Bodur

Jul 15, 2010, 12:32:41 PM7/15/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
They all would do good jobs with hand since there isn't anything to break down as in conventional compounds. Ultimate Compound and SwirlX are exclusively for DA and hand so could be the economical solution by hand.

Alfialfuddin

Jul 15, 2010, 11:55:09 PM7/15/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
if hand is your best friend now. better to stick to consumer range. best using hands.
--
Mohd Afiffuddin bin Yaacob (puden)
No 14, Jalan ss 18/2A

IMCUTE

Jul 16, 2010, 8:10:57 AM7/16/10
to wetshine
BTW whats the retail price in in your area for M105 & M205? As I'm
equip with new Hitachi Rotary Buffer, think this product will suit my
needs.
Question - if light swirl marks - is there a need to compound M105 or
detail and go straight for M205 to LSP?

On Jul 16, 11:55 am, Alfialfuddin <pude...@gmail.com> wrote:
> if hand is your best friend now. better to stick to consumer range. best
> using hands.
>
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Seckin Bodur <seckinbo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > They all would do good jobs with hand since there isn't anything to break
> > down as in conventional compounds. Ultimate Compound and SwirlX are
> > exclusively for DA and hand so could be the economical solution by hand.

Alfialfuddin

Jul 18, 2010, 9:01:31 PM7/18/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
Hmm retail price from HC if I am not mistaken M105 is around RM 480 and M205 is around RM 525. Or you can get is from Kungfu Master FIshy. I think he still have some. For light swirls you dont need to compound with M105 just go staright with M205 with polishing pad. For any cars just go with 205 first and see the outcome. If its not enough then only you use M105.

K.OTHMAN

Jul 18, 2010, 11:52:26 PM7/18/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
Hi Din

Manage to get the M2116 for RM70.00/16oz and M20501 for RM219.00/gallon.

Will use M205 and proceed with LSP M2116. Plan this month end (weekend) and will update the outcome.

Din - thanks for the process advice.

Othman

--
Thanks & Regards

Othman

Alfialfuddin

Jul 19, 2010, 3:33:24 AM7/19/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
wow M205 at RM219. can get some more at that price? where can I get it. Is there any M105 also?

K.OTHMAN

Jul 19, 2010, 4:25:34 AM7/19/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Din not sure about the M105. I got mine (M205/M2116) thru my relative from Spore who visit my family at Kota Tinggi. I will try to get the sourcing details when he visit me again

Alfialfuddin

Jul 19, 2010, 4:34:07 AM7/19/10
to wets...@googlegroups.com
ok thanks. will be waiting. separuh harga tu. mesti pilih. heheheh :)

Kenneth Tang

Aug 7, 2010, 11:36:38 AM8/7/10
to wetshine
Singapore should have a higher cost of living than M'sia but they have
cheaper Meguiar's there, booo to price controls!