Software Freedom Day '07

Bruce

Sep 17, 2007, 9:24:12 AM9/17/07
to Westlakes Linux Learners
I didn't get to the Uni events on Saturday but spent Sunday at the
Broadmeadow computer market.

What a great day, really enjoyed myself. Lots of people are already
aware of Linux and wow isn't it great to talk to people who haven't
heard of it, as they realise just what free and open-source software
can do for them.

Some of the people were having problems with illegal software on their
machines, not allowing them to do what they wanted on the net.

Others were going to upgrade their hardware but decided to try Linux
first.

We spoke to dozens of people each and gave away lots of CDs. The most
awkward moment of the day was talking to a young fellow who turned out
to work at Microsoft in Sydney! He was a very loyal employee and said
nothing I said would stop him being "pro-Microsoft". After I gave him
the OpenCD packed with free programs for Windows, I couldn't think of
anything more to say. So we just stood there for a few minutes,
watching the stall buzz as the other half-dozen SFD folks chatted and
showed off the apps and the 3D wizardry of Linux on the 4 lovely LCD
screens that dominated the stall. Felt awkward but good!
The high point for me was late in the day when 3 kids (about 5-10 yo),
were giggling as they watched Jonathon distort his nephew's portrait
with Gimp. Mum and Dad come up "are you kids behaving?". So I asked
them "Do you use Windows?"
"Yes"
I grabbed an OpenCD and gave it to Dad, "In that case here's a CD
that has this program on it, so you can do this at home."
The kids were still watching and giggling, Mum and Dad wanted to move
on so Dad showed them the CD and told them they could do it at home.
"Wow!" you should have seen the faces light up.... Another generation
of Free Software folks there!
But wait there's more! Gab had been trying to get rid of a super-small
(apple green) SFD T-shirt all day. So he gave it to the kids!... Yep,
they're hooked.

It was great to have people chat when they realised that we weren't
selling anything and they became intrigued then excited. If marketing
is Linux's big problem (see links below) then a stall at the computer
markets may just be a simple way to do it.

Apparently we have new people joining LOGIN's list already and I met
several people from out this way that may even join us.

I'm definitely IN for next year.

Is marketing the problem?... Well one of them anyway, says Aussie, Kim
Brebach
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3304051309.html

And Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols agrees:

See you next Monday night at Jim's,