Debugging apps with web browser

mikhail....@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2009, 12:03:04 PM9/3/09
to webos-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, forum!

I've seen in Allen Mitchell's screencast that there is a way to run application using just ordinary browser. Allen made it using rakefile somehow.
How can this done under ff in windows? I've tried to change path in index.html to point to my local webserver dir, but nothing seems to work unfortunately. CSS styles that define headers doesn't work in the browser too.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://blog.shevchuk.org

Nick Carter

Sep 3, 2009, 12:52:29 PM9/3/09
to webOS Dev DC
In OS X Leopard and on Windows there was a tool called PalmHost
available before the SDK was made public. It enabled Safari (and
Safari alone) to connect to a local server, which allowed you to
easily make changes to scripts and simply reload the browser to see
the changes. It was very handy.

Palm retired this tool prior to the release because they didn't
believe they had enough control over the browser. I've heard rumor
that a new tool will is in the pipeline to enable easier tinkering
than the build-and-release process with the emulator/inspector. No
official word as yet.

On Sep 3, 12:03 pm, "mikhail.shevc...@gmail.com"

Nicholas Carter

Sep 3, 2009, 12:54:15 PM9/3/09
to webos-...@googlegroups.com
I meant to add that as of Snow Leopard, PalmHost doesn't even run at
all. I've never tried running it on Windows. Someone with access to
prerelease.palm.com may have more information on the situation on
Windows.

Mikhail Shevchuk

Sep 4, 2009, 1:58:27 AM9/4/09
to webos-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot, Nicholas. This is really valuable information. Now I can
stop trying to run apps in browser and focus in development with
emulator. Hope the tool you mentioned will appear soon :)

2009/9/3 Nicholas Carter <thyn...@gmail.com>:
--
http://blog.shevchuk.org

Nicholas Carter

Sep 4, 2009, 2:07:03 AM9/4/09
to webos-...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is it would be some sort of combination server/webkit
build so they could have full control over the client end of things.
@chuq on Twitter may have more information if you bug him, but when I
talked to him before about it, he was pretty vague and had only heard
whispers of it.