Webcam support through Flash

Peter Nitsch

Jul 16, 2010, 1:50:23 PM7/16/10
to WebGL Dev List
I've been playing around with building an interface for webcam support
to WebGL and have a few early demos to show off. I'll put a post
together explaining the process, but it basically uses flash's webcam
capability. It's working well, but there's a ton of room for
optimization. Make sure your cam is properly setup by right clicking a
flash object > settings.

cube: http://www.peternitsch.net/demo/webgl_webcam/
kaleidoscope shader by iq: http://www.peternitsch.net/demo/webgl_webcam/kaleido.html
raytracer by iq: http://www.peternitsch.net/demo/webgl_webcam/raytracer.html

Any feedback is appreciated.

ricardo cabello

Jul 16, 2010, 5:28:50 PM7/16/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't seem to work in Chrome. Is the texture NPOT?

Henrik Bennetsen

Jul 16, 2010, 5:35:23 PM7/16/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
With a little help from Peter it now works great in FF for me. I noticed he had put up a post where he elaborated on the demos:

Nice work!

Peter Nitsch

Jul 16, 2010, 8:25:10 PM7/16/10
to WebGL Dev List
Thanks. I'll look into Chrome and Webkit. This was only tested on FF.

On Jul 16, 5:28 pm, ricardo cabello <ricardo.cabe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It doesn't seem to work in Chrome. Is the texture NPOT?

Robert Steckroth

Jul 16, 2010, 8:39:39 PM7/16/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
My colleague with a web cam got video but no WebGl functionality.
He is using Chrome with Ubuntu 10.04 32. His Internet just dropped
so I will post back later after trying to de-bug.

Peter Nitsch

Jul 18, 2010, 9:55:10 PM7/18/10
to WebGL Dev List
Good call on the NPOT textures. Give the demos a try now. They should
work now with a 128x128 webcam. Tested in Chrome.

On Jul 16, 5:28 pm, ricardo cabello <ricardo.cabe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It doesn't seem to work in Chrome. Is the texture NPOT?

Robert Steckroth

Jul 19, 2010, 12:41:40 AM7/19/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
We tested in Chrome and it seemed to be a texture problem like previusaly stated.
Minefield does not like the webgl content, however the flash player is working
nicly with the cam.
Also, Godday's hosting GUI gets buggy when multiple browsers are introduced into Ubuntu.
Only a pampered American goes to bed with a dream a bitching to some poor guy, hahaha, I degrees
hmmmm.... I forgot my motivation
--
Bringing game to younix
Bustout ENTRAINMENT  --- PureBreedDefense.com

Vladimir Vukicevic

Jul 19, 2010, 3:19:43 AM7/19/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

> Minefield does not like the webgl content, however the flash player is
> working nicly with the cam.

Works fine here -- what problem were you seeing?

- Vlad