3D model editor

Jayesh Salvi

Jun 8, 2010, 3:09:42 AM6/8/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have been working on a WebGL project for couple months - a 3D model editor.

Now it's at a point where it sucks less. So please check it out.

It runs best in Chromium. It will run in Firefox, but will get sluggish after a while (It will be worse with OSMesa).

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
--
Jayesh

Lindsay Kay

Jun 8, 2010, 3:30:56 AM6/8/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
This is very cool Jayesh!

One thing I always found useful in drawing/CAD tools was a bunch of orthographic views off to the side of the UI - for one thing, they help align things, maybe with a grid.

How about an export feature, to download models, as .DAE or .OBJ and .MTL?

cheers,
Lindsay

Jayesh Salvi

Jun 8, 2010, 3:40:05 AM6/8/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

--
Jayesh

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Lindsay Kay <linds...@xeolabs.com> wrote:
This is very cool Jayesh!

One thing I always found useful in drawing/CAD tools was a bunch of orthographic views off to the side of the UI - for one thing, they help align things, maybe with a grid.

Yeah orthographic is more suitable view for CAD tools. Currently 3DTin has perspective projection, but orthographics is on my todo list too.

How about an export feature, to download models, as .DAE or .OBJ and .MTL?

Collada (.dae) is on the list.

m...@tathagata.net

Jun 8, 2010, 5:11:41 AM6/8/10
to WebGL Dev List
Pretty cool! You can try something like SketchUp, where you can sketch
a profile and drag extrude it, though I think SketchUp has a patent on
that (but should be easy to circumvent - just don't use the mouse to
drag the profile, instead use a dialog to specify the extrude length).
Also a toggle between a 2d sketch view (to draw the profile) and the
3d view, will be helpful.

Nice effort though.

-Tathagata

Jayesh Salvi

Jun 8, 2010, 6:43:44 AM6/8/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

--
Jayesh

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM, m...@tathagata.net <m...@tathagata.net> wrote:
Pretty cool! You can try something like SketchUp, where you can sketch
a profile and drag extrude it, though I think SketchUp has a patent on
that (but should be easy to circumvent - just don't use the mouse to
drag the profile, instead use a dialog to specify the extrude length).

The extrude feature is implemented. Press the extrude icon (2nd from left) or press "e" from keyboard. Then take the mouse to face of any geometry, click and drag.

Also a toggle between a 2d sketch view (to draw the profile) and the
3d view, will be helpful.

There is no explicit 2D view, but there are shortcuts for top, bottom, left, right, front and back view. Press "Ctrl+h" or press the ? icon on the top panel, to look at all available options.

Henrik Bennetsen

Jun 8, 2010, 11:41:36 AM6/8/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Very nice work Jayesh.

I love the idea of building tools to give the HTML5/WebGL space the means to build itself.

Henrik

Jayesh Salvi

Jun 22, 2010, 4:06:05 AM6/22/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Lindsay Kay <linds...@xeolabs.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is very cool Jayesh!
>> One thing I always found useful in drawing/CAD tools was a bunch of
>> orthographic views off to the side of the UI - for one thing, they help
>> align things, maybe with a grid.
>
> Yeah orthographic is more suitable view for CAD tools. Currently 3DTin has
> perspective projection, but orthographics is on my todo list too.

Just added support for Orthographic projection
http://blog.3dtin.com/orthographic-projection-0