Does any browser support rendering into floating point texture?

Szymon Nowak

Jan 9, 2011, 5:10:22 PM1/9/11
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm using Chrome 10, which implements OES_texture_float extension, but it seems that I can't actually render into floating point texture - I'm getting INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION error. I thought that support for OES_texture_float extension means that there's full support for floating point textues, not only that one can initialize it with floating point data.

I'm new to OpenGL and WebGL, so does anyone know if it's a bug or if this functionality is (or rather will be) provided in some other extension?

Cheers,
Szymon

Kenneth Russell

Jan 10, 2011, 1:53:10 PM1/10/11
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

Did you properly enable the extension? Please see the source code of
the oes-texture-float.html conformance test.
http://khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Testing/Conformance

It is definitely possible that we may not be able to require that
implementations support rendering to floating-point textures, but on
all desktop hardware where we're able to advertise OES_texture_float
from Chromium's WebGL implementation, we've found that rendering to
floating-point textures works.

-Ken

Szymon Nowak

Jan 10, 2011, 3:43:29 PM1/10/11
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kenneth!

I'm just learning OpenGL and WebGL (I was using DirectX few years ago) and I had no idea that you actually have to call getExtension to enable it - I thought it's just used for checking if it's actually supported :)

These conformance tests are really awesome, because the info about WebGL support around the net gets outdated pretty quickly - first I read that FP textures are not supported at all, then that they are supported, but can't be used as render targets and everyone is using 2 textures as a workaround and now it seems that everything works. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Szymon

Gregg Tavares (wrk)

Jan 10, 2011, 8:20:46 PM1/10/11
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Szymon Nowak <szi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Kenneth!

I'm just learning OpenGL and WebGL (I was using DirectX few years ago) and I had no idea that you actually have to call getExtension to enable it - I thought it's just used for checking if it's actually supported :)

Just for clarification

In OpenGL you do NOT have to call getExtension

In WebGL you DO have to call getExtension and you may get 'null' back indicating the extension is not available

In other words WebGL and OpenGL are different.