Suspended Development

Weston

Apr 7, 2008, 11:05:43 AM4/7/08
to Web Forms 2.0 Implementation
I've decided to suspend development until the Forms Task Force comes
to a decision on whether Web Forms 2.0 in its entirety will be
incorporated into HTML 5. If they decide to come up with something
new, I hope that this will be a place for a cross-browser
implementation of the new Forms functionality in HTML 5.

Andrey Petrov

Apr 9, 2008, 3:36:26 PM4/9/08
to Web Forms 2.0 Implementation
Hope that they just accept current (or with minor corrections) Web
Forms 2 specification. We just don't have time to wait another couple
years for another specification to come...
I think that Web Forms 2 is consistent enough and mostly degrades
gracefully to be implemented in browsers.
For now I will just use your JavaScript WebForms 2 implementation for
form validation and repetition, because I think it is one of the best
even with some known glitches. Hope you will decide to continue
developing such a great library and will ton wait (for years) for a
final decision on specs.

Weston Ruter

Apr 9, 2008, 4:07:12 PM4/9/08
to Andrey Petrov, webf...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrey,
I want to continue developing it as well, but I just don't want to waste efforts on implementing a spec that is going to be scrapped. I'll try to keep listening to the developments on the Forms Task Force.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Exciting times on the web.

Weston Ruter

Apr 9, 2008, 4:16:28 PM4/9/08
to webf...@googlegroups.com
I did some feeling in the HTML WG to see what the status is on Web Forms 2. In summary, it looks like the Forms TF has gone cold. In 2008-03-27 HTML WG issue-tracking call:

<anne> FWIW, Ian Hickson would like explicit consent from the Forms
  WG that they're ok with us working on forms again, as I understand
  it.

  <Hixie> i don't mind

  <Hixie> i just want to make sure that i don't start integrating wf2
  into html5 only later to be told that it needs to all be undone and
  turned into xforms

  <Hixie> if the group decides that wf2 is fine and we're not going to
  try to use xforms, that works too

And Anne wrote to the Forms TF:

Up until now that is the last e-mail that has been sent to the Forms TF
list. I'm not sure what conclusions I have to draw from this, though it
seems that our collegues in the Forms WG have lost interest in working on
this.

I personally think that if nothing has happened by July 2008 we should
dismantle the Forms TF and handle any remaining issues by simply reviewing
and commenting on each others' work.

If there are any further questions on the Forms TF just let me by e-mail
or IRC and I'll do my best to answer them accurately.

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0251.html>