State of Safari driver

bp

Feb 16, 2011, 10:58:29 AM2/16/11
to webdriver
Hi, since I was unable to find a specific posting/documentation that
answered this, just checking on whether there are plans to include
Safari support in 2.0 release? I could not find thus far the
SafariDriver code in 2.0b2 jar file. It is important for us to have
Mac/Safari coverage for our tests.

If it won't make it to 2.0, what is the next likely release where it
will be available?

John

Feb 19, 2011, 11:28:33 AM2/19/11
to webd...@googlegroups.com
I'm really interested in being able to test on Safari. The Beta 2 announcement doesn't list it as one of the goals for the next Beta release :(

There's substantial activity on a new ChromeDriver (while there is one in the release package, it's not usable to test my app). I'd like to know if there's a project that's actively working on a WebDriver for Safari.

Simon Stewart

Feb 20, 2011, 8:55:03 AM2/20/11
to webd...@googlegroups.com
There's some work going on in the branches of the project. Right now,
I tend to use the Selenium-backed WebDriver for testing with Safari.
It's not ideal, but it does work:

Selenium selenium = new DefaultSelenium(
"localhost", 4444, "*safari", baseUrl);
CommandExecutor executor =
new SeleneseCommandExecutor(selenium);
WebDriver driver = new RemoteWebDriver(executor,
new DesiredCapabilities());

Simon

Andrian Kurniady

Feb 22, 2011, 12:32:41 AM2/22/11
to webd...@googlegroups.com, Simon Stewart
In the topic of SafariDriver, I've been working on it for a while
(it's under branch: safari-extension). But so far I've been
progressing very slowly due to work duties etc. (this is my side
project) - extra help is always welcome :-)

There has been previous implementation (under branch: safari), which
are not quite satisfactory (it's basically injecting IPhone driver
into Safari and will only work on OSX).

This current version I'm working on relies on Safari Extensions (and
reverse websocket) which hopefully will work in Win32 too. It will
also use the browser automation atoms. Currently the only webdriver
method supported is the driver.get(url), and I'm currently working on
the window/frame management (it's a bit nasty, involves injecting JS
to pages, etc.).

In the meantime, I would suggest Selenium-backed WebDriver if you need
to test with Safari, as Simon stated.

Regards,
Andrian

John

Feb 22, 2011, 1:02:31 PM2/22/11
to webd...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking forward to a WebDriver for Safari because the application I'm testing cannot feasibly be tested using Selenium1. The switchTo and executeScript methods are key to enabling testing of Facebook canvas applications.

bp

Mar 2, 2011, 10:41:47 PM3/2/11
to webdriver
I am able to perform basic tests using Safari and selenium-rc, using
RemoteWebDriver approach for now. But having a fully supported
SafariDriver is much awaited!

Thanks for the update
> applications<http://jwbito.ballardview.com/2011/02/automated-test-for-facebook-can...>
> .

anu

Mar 3, 2011, 4:53:58 AM3/3/11
to webdriver
We are also waiting for safaridriver for long time as we have tested
our site in IE and FF using webdriver(C#) but in safari and we are now
executing all the tests manually.

@Simon/Bp
I tried similar thing for C# but could not succeed. I tried following
piece of code. But compilation failed as it couldn't resolve
SeleneseCommandExecuter. This class seems to be there for Java but not
for C#.

using OpenQA.Selenium;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Remote;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Chrome;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Internal;

IWebDriver driver;
ICapabilities capabilities = new DesiredCapabilities("safari",
string.Empty, new Platform(PlatformType.MacOSX));
ICommandExecutor executor = new
SeleneseCommandExecutor("http:localhost:4444/", "http://
www.google.com/", capabilities);
driver = new RemoteWebDriver(executor, capabilities);

May you please help me figure out the problem. It'll really mean a lot
of help.

Thanks
Anu

Jim Evans

Mar 3, 2011, 6:02:33 AM3/3/11
to webdriver
Java has a "Selenese-backed WebDriver" available, which includes the
SeleneseCommandExecutor. No such class exists in C# yet.

On Mar 3, 4:53 am, anu <anu.saxena2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are also waiting for safaridriver for long time as we have tested
> our site in IE and FF using webdriver(C#) but in safari and we are now
> executing all the tests manually.
>
> @Simon/Bp
> I tried similar thing for C# but could not succeed. I tried following
> piece of code. But compilation failed as it couldn't resolve
> SeleneseCommandExecuter. This class seems to be there for Java but not
> for C#.
>
> using OpenQA.Selenium;
> using OpenQA.Selenium.Remote;
> using OpenQA.Selenium.Chrome;
> using OpenQA.Selenium.Internal;
>
> IWebDriver driver;
> ICapabilities capabilities = new DesiredCapabilities("safari",
> string.Empty, new Platform(PlatformType.MacOSX));
> ICommandExecutor executor = new
> SeleneseCommandExecutor("http:localhost:4444/", "http://www.google.com/", capabilities);
> driver = new RemoteWebDriver(executor, capabilities);
>
> May you please help me figure out the problem. It'll really mean a lot
> of help.
>
> Thanks
> Anu
>
> On Mar 3, 8:41 am, bp <bino...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I am able to perform basic tests using Safari and selenium-rc, using
> > RemoteWebDriver approach for now. But having a fully supported
> > SafariDriver is much awaited!
>
> > Thanks for the update
>
> > On Feb 22, 1:02 pm, John <jwb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm looking forward to a WebDriver for Safari because the application I'm
> > > testing cannot feasibly be tested using Selenium1. The switchTo and
> > > executeScript methods are key to enabling testing of Facebook canvas
> > > applications<http://jwbito.ballardview.com/2011/02/automated-test-for-facebook-can...>

Simon Stewart

Mar 3, 2011, 9:04:24 AM3/3/11
to webd...@googlegroups.com
Though in theory you can register the Selenese-backed webdriver with
the server and just use the remote API, as people already do with
HtmlUnit.

Simon