Webconverger

caj.c...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2008, 8:09:59 AM11/6/08
to Webconverger Users
Hi,

First of I'm new to Linux but I have been playing with the newest
Webconverger 3.6b maxi version.
First of I can tell you that the finnish locales work with the
following line running the livecd:

locale=fi_FI@euro keyb=fi

The € sign also works.

Now my question: I would like to install Webconverger on the harddrive
with the finnish locales, I have tryed to add the same line
(locale=fi_FI@euro keyb=fi) in the GRUB at "Install Webconverger" and
removing the locale=en_US line, it does install it but it just wont
boot up, I'm just getting a black screen.
Any ideas how I can get Webconverger installed on the harddrive with
the finnish locale ? Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

Second question: I would like to incorporate java support to the
machine I'm setting up for websurfing, how do I do this?

Thanks again for a great product =)

Kai Hendry

Nov 6, 2008, 12:54:27 PM11/6/08
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM, <caj.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The € sign also works.

Thanks for the confirmation. :-)

> Now my question: I would like to install Webconverger on the harddrive
> with the finnish locales, I have tryed to add the same line
> (locale=fi_FI@euro keyb=fi) in the GRUB at "Install Webconverger" and
> removing the locale=en_US line, it does install it but it just wont
> boot up, I'm just getting a black screen.
> Any ideas how I can get Webconverger installed on the harddrive with
> the finnish locale ? Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

Sorry this is a known problem:
http://webconverger.org/todo/

I need to incorporate locale support in the hard drive installed boot
scripts some how.

> Second question: I would like to incorporate java support to the
> machine I'm setting up for websurfing, how do I do this?

Live helper has a hook called:
/usr/share/live-helper/examples/hooks/sun-java6.sh

Which you incorporate whilst doing a build. That should work.
Otherwise you could just install it manually if you remove nosudo.

It it some banking application you need Java for?

Warm regards,

caj.c...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2008, 5:50:12 AM11/10/08
to Webconverger Users
Okey, thank you for your awnsers, too bad the locale settings don't
work when installing it to the harddrive, guess I will just have to
run it from the livecd, I guess...

I'll try out that stuff for java, java will be mostly used for some
school pages that require java.

Thanks again.

caj.c...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2008, 7:17:00 AM11/10/08
to Webconverger Users
Come to think off it, couldn't you like add a setup page into the GUI
installer, say after the partitioning of the harddrive, and on that
page you could choose the locale setting you want from a list?
Like for example like the Ubuntu installation does have this option if
I remember correctly.

Kai Hendry

Nov 11, 2008, 5:31:41 PM11/11/08
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
This evening I quickly hacked together a live-initramfs locale script into:

http://localhost/locale

How I did it:
http://git.debian.org/?p=users/kai-guest/nostromo/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/webc

Could you please give the latest builds a try?
e.g. http://build.webconverger.org/mini.2008-11-11.iso

Did you figure out java support? Maybe I should add a CGI script to
install it like is do with M$ fonts. Hmmm... reluctant to do so. :-)

nn

Taleman

Nov 12, 2008, 8:35:56 AM11/12/08
to Webconverger Users

> Did you figure out java support? Maybe I should add a CGI script to
> install it like is do with M$ fonts. Hmmm... reluctant to do so. :-)

I managed to build a good CD in finnish for school use.

To use mirrors in Finland:

lh_config --mirror-bootstrap "http://fi.debian.org/debian/"
lh_config --mirror-chroot "http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/"
lh_config --mirror-bootstrap-security "http://ftp.fi.debian.org/
security"
lh_config --mirror-binary "http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/"

Boot with these settings:
lh_config --bootappend-live "quiet http_proxy=http://proxy.inmy.net:
8080 homepage=http://wiki.ournetwork.fi/index.php/Webconverger-
porttaali locale=fi_FI.UTF-8 keyb=fi nosudo splash vga=791"

I made a language pack for finnish:

lh_config --language "fi"
lh_config --packages-lists "standard webconverger finnish"

Make file finnish in directory config/chroot_local-packageslists/
containing these lines:

myspell-fi
iceweasel-l10n-fi

tmispell-voikko does not yet work with iceweasel. It would have much
better spell checking.

We have an appication that uses certificates, so I add the necessary
certificates by copying file cert_override.txt to directory config/
chroot_local-includes/etc/iceweasel/profile/
This way the browser does not ask to download and accept the
certificate every time.

I modify file /mini/config/binary_grub/menu.lst by altering these
lines:

default 1
timeout 0
hiddenmenu

For java, if Sampopankki is needed, add sun-java5-plugin to file
finnish. Otherwise use sun-java6-plugin. Installing java asks to
accept the licence. Add contrib and non-free to make java plugin
available.

lh_config --categories "main contrib non-free"

Also change in file config/common

LH_DEBCONF_FRONTEND="dialog"

to see the question about java license.

Wishlist item:

Add comment to file binary to the effect that altering hostname is a
bad idea. If it is not "webconverger" things stop working. Otherwise
webconverger was pretty smooth sailing, but this hostname thing took
time to figure out.