[webc] Force-finish the session

Maxim

May 6, 2010, 5:00:29 AM5/6/10
to Webconverger Users
Dear Webconverger users,

is it possible to limit the time of one session to certain ammount of
time, so after, say, 10 minutes Webconverger reloads, regardless of if
it's idle or is used? I know that you can set Webconverger to reload
when it's idle, but I also want to limit users in time they spend at
the desktop.

Thank you.

Kai Hendry

May 6, 2010, 5:36:51 AM5/6/10
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
There is no way currently of doing this, though it's an interesting
feature request for adding onto http://webconverger.org/todo/

I am keen to overhaul how kioskresetstaion works, since I find it
annoying how it resets after 10 minutes (if it was set to that) say
even if it was not used in the period.

Kind regards,

vintagegeek

May 7, 2010, 1:43:51 PM5/7/10
to Webconverger Users
We're a library, and this is a feature that we will actually NEED (we
tend to limit use of kiosk to 15 minutes), so I was wondering if this
feature could be added as a paid customization feature, even if it's
not a normal free version. Any help would be appreciated.

On May 6, 2:36 am, Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com> wrote:
> There is no way currently of doing this, though it's an interesting
> feature request for adding ontohttp://webconverger.org/todo/

Kai Hendry

May 8, 2010, 9:22:09 AM5/8/10
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 7 May 2010 18:43, vintagegeek <vinta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're a library, and this is a feature that we will actually NEED (we
> tend to limit use of kiosk to 15 minutes), so I was wondering if this
> feature could be added as a paid customization feature, even if it's
> not a normal free version. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having trouble imagining how this feature would work. So the
machine resets the browser after 10 minutes. How is anyone going to
notice that happened? What stops your patron from carrying on surfing?
Is it just a cue for someone to get off? What happens if that user is
about to complete an important form and gets cut off at the very last
second? Next thing you will need is some sort of timer countdown.

I am starting to think a cheap eggtimer on each of your terminals is a
better solution. :-)

vintagegeek

May 9, 2010, 7:22:02 PM5/9/10
to Webconverger Users
Thank you for the reply. We have to limit the usage of our kiosks to
15 minutes because we have population that, if given the chance, will
not allow ANYONE else to use that computer. Trust me, we've tried. We
had to install software that at least gives some indication that their
15 minutes are up so they can give someone else in line a chance. If
there is no one else in line, they're welcome to continue using it by
logging on again. But you have no idea the fights we had when there
was no time limit. Not fun. We even had egg timers for a while, and we
had the constant fight of 'that wasn't 15 minutes!', that we gave up
that idea. That's why we need some kind of option that would allow us
to set some kind of a timer and notification, preferably a 'set and
forget' sort of option, since we're so undermanned.

As for the time countdown, that's exactly what we have now. The user
logs on, there's a clock that shows 15 minutes that counts down, a
warning at 2 minutes left, then logs them off with a banner basically
saying "NEXT!". We also make it very clear that if they're going to be
filling out important personal information, we have other computers
that are more secure (Userful stations) and have a 1 hour limit.

What we need is a more secure, more robust kiosks than the windows xp
monstrosities we have now. Which is what brought me here in the first
place. :) If you guys add this timer feature, you have a customer for
LIFE! :D