using web2py for Geo / GIS stuff

Timmie

Apr 3, 2009, 7:06:44 AM4/3/09
to web2py Web Framework
Dear web2py users/developers,
I am mostly using python for scientific data processing.
I would like to take my scripts to an internet/intranet site for a
larger audience to benefit. Therefore I am evaluating python web
frameworks.
So far, the web2py approach is apealing most to me. Clean and easy to
lean and administer.

But for a choice it is also important what existing extensions exist.

Here my questions:
* Is there someone working on a site with Geographical data or GIS
capabilities (e. g.: http://geo.turbogears.org/samplemap)?
=> I found the following threads:
- Validators: IS_LAT & IS_LON [1]
- Using stored procedures [2]
=> I didn't see any appliance (http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/
appliances) of
such nature.
* How hard would it be port the existing extensions from Turbogears of
Django over? [3], [4]
* Is there anyone using web2py for web based number crunching stuff?

A statement on the capabilities and activities of web2py regarding the
above mentioned requirements would be welcome.

Regards,
Timmie

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/9a11b8dfe33a2773/a61ad19d5fab887d?lnk=gst&q=latitude#a61ad19d5fab887d
[2]
http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/699409b6b4eea91a/5e0bc54d20cba8af?lnk=gst&q=latitude#5e0bc54d20cba8af
[3] http://geo.turbogears.org/
[4] http://geodjango.org/

Fran

Apr 3, 2009, 10:42:15 AM4/3/09
to web2py Web Framework
On Apr 3, 1:06 pm, Timmie <timmichel...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> * Is there someone working on a site with Geographical data or GIS
> capabilities

Yes, but not generalised:
http://trac.sahanapy.org/wiki/BluePrintGeographicInformationSystems

Am keen to collaborate where possible :)

mdipierro

Apr 3, 2009, 10:42:33 AM4/3/09
to web2py Web Framework

AchipA

Apr 3, 2009, 2:06:47 PM4/3/09
to web2py Web Framework
Geodjango seemed pretty deeply rooted in django (in terms of the
models/ORM) so my impression was it would be more of a rewrite than a
port. The turbogears solution seemed more of an 'addon' which just
links other GIS components like openlayers/mapfish for a more
convenient use from within TG, but didn't look like a, how should I
put it, web gis framework. They had ambitious plans for google summer
of code regargding this. My Django and Turbogears expertise is limited
though, so take all this with a grain of salt and feel free to report
back if you find out something I said here does dot check out.

In any case, it would be cool to have a plugin (in a sense like t2)
which would be a GIS toolbox for apps utilizing Tilecache and/or
Mapfish (or openlayers directly).

On Apr 3, 1:06 pm, Timmie <timmichel...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> [1]http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/9a11b8dfe3...
> [2]http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/699409b6b4...

dbb

Apr 3, 2009, 2:35:23 PM4/3/09
to web2py Web Framework
We know we can get the longtitude and latitude of an address using
web2py, what we need here is to make these points map to x,y
coordinate and map the points on google map. Can Prof.Massimo directus
how to convert lo,la to x,y, and map the points ( x,y) on google map
in web2py world.

Best regards:

dbb

On Apr 3, 10:42 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> You want to look into this and talk to authors:
>
> http://trac.sahanapy.org/browser/models/_gis.pyhttp://trac.sahanapy.org/browser/controllers/gis.py
> > [4]http://geodjango.org/- Hide quoted text -

Yarko Tymciurak

Apr 3, 2009, 3:35:42 PM4/3/09
to web...@googlegroups.com

mdipierro

Apr 3, 2009, 4:56:45 PM4/3/09
to web2py Web Framework
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Emdipierro/web2conf/devel/annotate/head%3A/views/default/maps.html

Please cod not call me Prof. makes me feel old. BTW. Are you one of my
students?

Massimo

On Apr 3, 1:35 pm, dbb <debe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We know we can get the longtitude and latitude of an address using
> web2py, what we need here is to make these points map to x,y
> coordinate and map the points on google map. Can Prof.Massimo directus
> how to convert lo,la to x,y, and map the points ( x,y) on google map
> in web2py world.
>
> Best regards:
>
> dbb
>
> On Apr 3, 10:42 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
>
> > You want to look into this and talk to authors:
>
> >http://trac.sahanapy.org/browser/models/_gis.pyhttp://trac.sahanapy.o...
> > > [4]http://geodjango.org/-Hide quoted text -

Yarko Tymciurak

Apr 3, 2009, 7:33:23 PM4/3/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
You'll also find the piece that gets the lattitue and longitude from address at the top this file, coordinates_by_address():

FYI - Massimo wrote / worked all this out (I just updated launchpad w/ the latest of everyone's changes from launchpad, including my own).

Regards,
Yarko

Tim Michelsen

Apr 5, 2009, 2:43:45 PM4/5/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
thanks for everyone how responded to my inquiry.

I can see that the interest in geo stuff is there.

What would you guys think of the idea to put the stuff from Sahana and
pycon into a common respository and develop the geo functionality together?

Thanks again and regards,
Timmie

mdipierro

Apr 5, 2009, 3:11:06 PM4/5/09
to web2py Web Framework
I think it would be very valuable.

Tim Michelsen

Apr 5, 2009, 7:49:36 PM4/5/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
> I think it would be very valuable.
Nice.
What would you suggest?
The web2py repository or an external one?

Why not an example app?

Regards,
Timmie

mdipierro

Apr 6, 2009, 12:36:15 AM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
I would just create a separate project on launchpad or somewhere else.

Massimo

Timmie

Apr 6, 2009, 4:18:00 AM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
I would need Feedback from the other authors.
Are they willing to put

As a beginner, I would be a user of the code first.
Also, my main coding work is on numerics and web2py will be the way my
software can interact wth the user.
I can use it to built a GUI around command lins scripts without the
need to learn Traits and wxPython or force users to install python.

But I have some ideas...

@Massimo
could you open up a new sub-project under the web2py umbrella at
https://launchpad.net/web2py?
I am think of something like
Sahanapy is under sahana
https://launchpad.net/sahana/sahanapy/

This would facilitate
* later merging of geo code
* keeping things together even if others do loos focus or cannot
contibute anymore.

What do you think?
Kind regards,
Timmie

mdipierro

Apr 6, 2009, 10:30:37 AM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
I would prefer if you create a separate project since this would be an
application or a module. The less I have to do the better. ;-)

On Apr 6, 3:18 am, Timmie <timmichel...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> I would need Feedback from the other authors.
> Are they willing to put
>
> As a beginner, I would be a user of the code first.
> Also, my main coding work is on numerics and web2py will be the way my
> software can interact wth the user.
> I can use it to built a GUI around command lins scripts without the
> need to learn Traits and wxPython or force users to install python.
>
> But I have some ideas...
>
> @Massimo
> could you open up a new sub-project under the web2py umbrella athttps://launchpad.net/web2py?
> I am think of something like
> Sahanapy is under sahanahttps://launchpad.net/sahana/sahanapy/

Timmie

Apr 6, 2009, 11:51:22 AM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
> I would prefer if you create a separate project since this would be an
> application or a module. The less I have to do the better. ;-)
OKI, here goes:
https://launchpad.net/web2py-geo
I added you as a driver for the project.

Let's see what will happen.

BTW:
* shall we create a super group web2py where we can associate these
applicatiosn to?

"""

(Choose…)

Super-project. In Launchpad, we can setup a special "project group"
that is an overarching initiative that includes several related
projects. For example, the Mozilla Project produces Firefox,
Thunderbird and Gecko. This information is used to group those
projects in a coherent way. If you make this project part of a group,
the group preferences and decisions around bug tracking, translation
and security policy will apply to this project.
"""

* shall we create a team for web2py at launchpad: https://launchpad.net/people/+newteam?

mdipierro

Apr 6, 2009, 12:06:16 PM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
Sounds like a good idea. Do I have to do this or can you do it?

Massimo

dbb

Apr 6, 2009, 7:16:33 PM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
I am your student now, I learnt a lot from you about web2py, actually
I am a researcher at one of the labs in east cost, and a part time
teacher -- I love computing science.
I my vision for the mapping is to create (draw) a polygon that
signifies a room in a building using a mouse, when somebody with a
sensor is in the room, it will show the location of the person. The
senor location can be determined using triagulation. This will attract
the emerging sensor technology techies to web2py. There are so many
applications for this particular idea. web2py is a good candidate
since it has all the necessary components : MVC. Imagine you are in a
museum, with a hand held instrument with a sensor attached to it, you
are infront of Michaelanglo's piece of work, you press the curator
button on the handheld instrument, bingo it starts talking about the
piece for you alone. What do you think about this idea?

Best Regards:
dbb

On Apr 3, 3:35 pm, Yarko Tymciurak <yark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use google maps -
> An example output:
>
> https://us.pycon.org/2009/register/default/maps
>
> The code to accomplish (collect coordinates):
>
> def maps():   inhttp://bazaar.launchpad.net/~yarkot1/web2conf/pycon2009site/annotate/...
>
> and:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~yarkot1/web2conf/pycon2009site/annotate/...
>
> You can loose a few hours here:http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/
>
> Have fun!
>

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM, dbb <debe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > We know we can get the longtitude and latitude of an address using
> > web2py, what we need here is to make these points map to x,y
> > coordinate and map the points on google map. Can Prof.Massimo directus
> > how to convert lo,la to x,y, and map the points ( x,y) on google map
> > in web2py world.
>
> > Best regards:
>
> > dbb
>
> > On Apr 3, 10:42 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> > > You want to look into this and talk to authors:
>
> >http://trac.sahanapy.org/browser/models/_gis.pyhttp://trac.sahanapy.o...

mdipierro

Apr 6, 2009, 7:27:44 PM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
It is very interesting and I am heppy you choose web2py. If you have
any question I will be here. ;-)

Massimo

dbb

Apr 6, 2009, 9:32:55 PM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
Thank you Massimo, my immediate need is to make kpax introduced to
disadvantaged schools, make it known and used since I like the tool
and it is helpful to teachers .
I have a number of usage for kpax in this regard, what I need from you
is to make the media ( movie player) and chat to work properly. The
chat part is not pressing issue,but the media player is. The media
player can also be used to train the teachers themslves. The Group
( working OK), the survey ( working OK), the folder( partially
working, the movie part is not working), when an attachment is
downloaded, fills the whole page and is not created on a separate
page.The chat has error in java code, do not know what that is,it is
not pressing issue for now.The news part works properly.

My other question is are you ok with it, if I introduce kpax to
schools. The reason I am doing it is to gave back to the society that
gave me the opportunity to be what I am know.

mdipierro

Apr 6, 2009, 10:01:53 PM4/6/09
to web2py Web Framework
I am more than OK with this. I am happy you are doing it. What is your
timeline?

Massimo

dbb

Apr 7, 2009, 10:10:25 AM4/7/09
to web2py Web Framework

Thank you Massimo, I will inform you everything by email once I finish
the preparation of my side.
best regards:
dbb