newbie question about Google Application Engine

dme69

Nov 3, 2008, 3:35:58 AM11/3/08
to web2py Web Framework
Hello all,
Sorry again ...

As I'm a real beginner with Python, Web2py and GAE. My question is I
don't understand how to export my web2py application to GAE.
I know that I have to make (or verify) some modifications on database
(for example) in my code ... But how to export the application ?
Does GAE know all "gluon" import ? Do I just export my web2py
application and then untar the file in GAE folder ?
What about web2py framework's files ?

Can someone explain me ?

Thanks a lot for your precious help.
Dominique.

PS : I have seen the video but it don't helps me ?

Daniel Contag

Nov 3, 2008, 3:55:52 AM11/3/08
to web...@googlegroups.com
You can deploy to GAE using the standard GAE-procedure, but note, that
you will need the source distribution of web2py and to change the app
name from web2py to yourapp.appspot.com

Daniel

David Marko

Nov 3, 2008, 4:14:08 AM11/3/08
to web2py Web Framework
Does it mean, that I export the entire web2py with all applications,
so under one 'yourapp.appspot.com ' account I can run many web2py
apps?

Thanks for info,
David

On 3 Lis, 09:55, "Daniel Contag" <con...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can deploy to GAE using the standard GAE-procedure, but note, that
> you will need the source distribution of web2py and to change the app
> name from web2py to yourapp.appspot.com
>
> Daniel

Jonathan Benn

Nov 3, 2008, 4:23:08 AM11/3/08
to web2py Web Framework
Hi,

On Nov 3, 12:14 pm, David Marko <dma...@tiscali.cz> wrote:
> Does it mean, that I  export the entire web2py with all applications,
> so under one 'yourapp.appspot.com ' account I can run many web2py
> apps?

Yes, that's right.

Basically, from the perspective of Google App Engine, the entire
web2py is the "app". So you create your personal app inside web2py,
and then upload all of web2py to GAE.

P.S. Je parle aussi français

--Jonathan

dme69

Nov 3, 2008, 8:03:13 AM11/3/08
to web2py Web Framework
I know this is not cool but it will be easier for me to explain my
case ... So I will continue in french (for a short time) ...

Jonathan,
Si je développe mon application dans Web2py (que je trouve plutôt
sympa pour des choses comme les formulaires par exemple), qu'est-ce
que je dois faire pour envoyer ça sur GAE ? A priori, GAE ne connait
pas SQLFORM ?
Je ne suis pas vraiment un programmeur donc j'ai parfois un peu de mal
à comprendre ce qu'il faut faire (... mais je m'accroche ! ).
Qu'est-ce que je dois exporter dans mon appli, Où est-ce que je fais
le lien avec le framework Web2Py (et je le récupère où, je suis sur
Mac) ?
En gros des questions de vrai débutant :-) Mais si je me lance sur ce
projet, je deviendrais d'ici 10 ans, une vraie pointure ... Enfin
disons que je comprendrais de quoi on me parle ! ;-)

Merci pour ton aide.
Dominique.

mdipierro

Nov 3, 2008, 10:33:14 AM11/3/08
to web2py Web Framework
When you publish on GAE you have to export your application (or your
applications) and web2py itself.
Look into web2py/app.yaml
See this line?

(applications/(admin|examples)/.*)|

It tells GAE not to export admin and examples. Similarly you can edit
this line and exclude other applications.

Sorry I do not know French.

Massimo

dme69

Nov 3, 2008, 11:47:13 AM11/3/08
to web2py Web Framework
Thanks ! :-)

To be honnest I think I'm beginning (is is the good word ?) to
understand ...
I just downloaded the source code of Web2py and It helps me to
undertand ...
I'm not really sure but I think I'm in the good way.
(I have a really big problem today to speak in english !)

Thanks again.
Dominique.

mdipierro

Nov 3, 2008, 12:06:52 PM11/3/08
to web2py Web Framework
No problem, you speak much better than the google translation in
english of your french. ;-)

Massimo

Jonathan Benn

Nov 4, 2008, 12:08:06 AM11/4/08
to web2py Web Framework
Hi Dominique,

Your English is just fine. :) Ton français est certainement meilleur
(et meilleur que le mien), mais fait toi rien. Les autres pourron
mieux t'aider si tu parles en anglais.

On Nov 3, 4:03 pm, dme69 <dmeg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Si je développe mon application dans Web2py (que je trouve plutôt
> sympa pour des choses comme les formulaires par exemple), qu'est-ce
> que je dois faire pour envoyer ça sur GAE ? A priori, GAE ne connait
> pas SQLFORM ?

That's right, GAE doesn't know about SQLFORM or anything else from
web2py. This is why you must upload web2py along with your own
personal application.

> Qu'est-ce que je dois exporter dans mon appli, Où est-ce que je fais
> le lien avec le framework Web2Py (et je le récupère où, je suis sur
> Mac) ?

Ok, the question is how to export web2py and your app to Google App
Engine.

Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Download the Google App Engine SDK:
http://googleappengine.googlecode.com/files/google_appengine_1.1.5.zip

2. Download web2py:
http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples/static/web2py_src.zip

3. Unzip GAE and web2p. You end up with a google_appengine directory,
and a web2py directory.

4. Place web2py inside google_appengine

5. Edit google_app_engine/web2py/app.yaml. Change the top line so that
the name of the application is whatever name you set up when you
signed up for Google App Engine.

6. Open up a command prompt. Go to the google_appengine directory.

6.a. To run the demo app server, execute the command:
dev_appserver.py web2py/

6.b. To upload your application to the real online server, execute the
command:
appcfg.py update web2py/

You may need to add "python" in front of the command, or something
similar, e.g.
python dev_appserver.py web2py/
python appcfg.py update web2py/

Please let me know if I missed a step or if you need help with a
particular step.

> En gros des questions de vrai débutant :-) Mais si je me lance sur ce
> projet, je deviendrais d'ici 10 ans, une vraie pointure ... Enfin
> disons que je comprendrais de quoi on me parle ! ;-)

Don't worry, everybody was a beginner once!

--Jonathan

Jonathan Benn

Nov 4, 2008, 12:12:28 AM11/4/08
to web2py Web Framework
Hi David,

On Nov 3, 12:14 pm, David Marko <dma...@tiscali.cz> wrote:
> Does it mean, that I  export the entire web2py with all applications,
> so under one 'yourapp.appspot.com ' account I can run many web2py
> apps?

Yes, that is correct. However, as Massimo points out, in web2py/
app.yaml you can specify which applications will get uploaded to the
production GAE server.

--Jonathan

mdipierro

Nov 4, 2008, 12:50:40 AM11/4/08
to web2py Web Framework
Jonathan, excellent tutorial. Would you create an alterego page about
it? I will post it.

Massimo

Jonathan Benn

Nov 4, 2008, 2:04:24 AM11/4/08
to web2py Web Framework
On Nov 4, 8:50 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:

> Jonathan, excellent tutorial. Would you create an alterego page about
> it? I will post it.

I'd be happy to. First I'd like to see what feedback I get though, so
that the AlterEgo version is correct.

What formatting system do you use for AlterEgo? HTML?

Thanks,

--Jonathan

dme69

Nov 4, 2008, 3:31:29 AM11/4/08
to web2py Web Framework
:D
A real big thanks. You are a very cool guy !
Thanks for your precious help.

I will choose Web2py for my application development. I really like
this framework (and python seems to be very cool too) and its
comunity !
;-)

Dominique.

mdipierro