markmin vs. reST

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa

Sep 17, 2011, 4:24:56 AM9/17/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I see that markmin is kind of 'standard' markup supported in web2py, but I use
reST markup and lot (even submitted feature request to Instant Press to support
it), but I wonder how does markmin, in general, compare with reST?

I noticed that there is no support for footnotes, tables look pretty simple...

Otoh, the web2py book is written in markmin...

I read 'Why?' (http://web2py.com/examples/static/markmin.html), but wonder what
was e.g. wrong with reST which is quite strongly tied with Python community?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

signature.asc

Massimo Di Pierro

Sep 17, 2011, 10:59:44 AM9/17/11
to web2py-users
Good question.

Our goals were:
- simpler then reST, similar to Markdown but more powerful
- support for HTML 5
- extensible
- avoid conflits with natural language as much as possible

In reST:
.. image:: images/biohazard.png
In Markmin
[[description images/biohazard.png center 200px]]

In reST you cannot specify resize and location, works only for images,
there are weird .. :: all over the place. The Markmin syntax works
also for embedded videos.
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa

Sep 17, 2011, 11:05:45 AM9/17/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
Massimo Di Pierro
<massimo....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Our goals were:
> - simpler then reST, similar to Markdown but more powerful

That's good one...I like markdown as well.

> - extensible

Any more info about it?

Do you find markmin semantically rich-enough for writing books like web2py one?

I wonder about footnotes, more complex tables, more subsubsections...

signature.asc

Massimo Di Pierro

Sep 17, 2011, 11:37:45 AM9/17/11
to web2py-users
More complex tables are not possible. Footnotes can be added easily
and sublists too. It is on the todo list.

On Sep 17, 10:05 am, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa <g...@atmarama.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
> Massimo Di Pierro
>
> <massimo.dipie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Our goals were:
> > - simpler then reST, similar to Markdown but more powerful
>
> That's good one...I like markdown as well.
>
> > - extensible
>
> Any more info about it?
>
> Do you find markmin semantically rich-enough for writing books like web2py one?
>
> I wonder about footnotes, more complex tables, more subsubsections...
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> “In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
> all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)
>
> http://atmarama.net| Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa

Sep 17, 2011, 11:41:08 AM9/17/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 08:37:45 -0700 (PDT)
Massimo Di Pierro
<massimo....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Footnotes can be added easily
> and sublists too. It is on the todo list.

That's great. Thank you.

btw, hearing that markmin is more powerful than markdown, maybe it should be
renamed to MarkUp, or, at least, markmax. ;)

signature.asc