web2py on apache with fastcgi

giohappy

Jun 30, 2009, 10:38:57 AM6/30/09
to web2py Web Framework
Hello people. I'm quite new both to fastcgi and web2py, as in the only
occasions I've used python for web I've adopted mod_python (before)
and wsgi (after). I need to use python inside two compiled windows
apache stacks (ms4w, dedicated to gis, and bitnami WAPP stack) but the
precompiled versions of mod_wsgi don't fit these binaries. So I need
to adopt the fastcgi solution, as I don't want to compile (on
windows!) the stack.

So, is there any tutorial/guide on setting up this configuration? I
admit I'm not a system engineer, and I'm not very good in setting up
systems. I just need a way to make a prototype to serve some of my
application services through the web.

If someone can share some hints with me I would be very grateful.

bye,
giovanni

Alexei Vinidiktov

Jun 30, 2009, 11:42:30 PM6/30/09
to web...@googlegroups.com

Here's how I've done it on Linux:

1. I installed the flup Python module.
2. Added the files .htaccess and fcgihandler.py to the root of my
web2py installation (see attachment)
3. Made fcgihandler.py executable (may not be necessary on Windows)

That's it.

--
Alexei Vinidiktov

fcgihandler.py
.htaccess

mdipierro

Jul 1, 2009, 12:43:31 AM7/1/09
to web2py Web Framework
Can you please post this on AlterEgo?

Jul 1, 2009, 1:09:39 AM7/1/09
to web...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, I've just realized that I made a mistake here. Instead of
fcgihandler.py I added dispatch.fcgi and made it executable.

--
Alexei Vinidiktov

dispatch.fcgi

mdipierro

Jul 1, 2009, 1:12:06 AM7/1/09
to web2py Web Framework
Could you make an AlterEgo entry about this?

On Jul 1, 12:09 am, Alexei Vinidiktov <alexei.vinidik...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Alexei
>

> Vinidiktov<alexei.vinidik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  dispatch.fcgi
> < 1KViewDownload

Alexei Vinidiktov

Jul 1, 2009, 1:16:17 AM7/1/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
Actually, it's already kind of on AlterEgo.

I used the instructions for installing web2py on Dreamhost hosted
websites which use fast cgi.
This is the page in question:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Web2py

And the page on AlterEgo
http://www.web2py.com/AlterEgo/default/show/66 references the
above-mentioned instructions. See the comment at the bottom of the
page.

Should we make it more prominent on that page and move the reference
from the comments to the body of the page?
--
Alexei Vinidiktov

giohappy

Jul 1, 2009, 9:01:35 AM7/1/09
to web2py Web Framework
Thanks Alexei for sharing your method.
I already had found the cited AlterEgo page traces on google, but
trying to access it result in an Internal Error.

giovanni

On 1 Lug, 07:16, Alexei Vinidiktov <alexei.vinidik...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Actually, it's already kind of on AlterEgo.
>
> I used the instructions for installing web2py on Dreamhost hosted
> websites which use fast cgi.
> This is the page in question:http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Web2py
>
> And the page on AlterEgohttp://www.web2py.com/AlterEgo/default/show/66references the

Alexei Vinidiktov

Jul 1, 2009, 11:47:01 PM7/1/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
Did the method work on Windows?

I've just rechecked the url http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Web2py and it
loaded fine for me.

You you still can't get it loaded, let me know, and I will send you a copy.
--
Alexei Vinidiktov

giohappy

Jul 7, 2009, 6:58:53 AM7/7/09
to web2py Web Framework
Sorry Alexei for my delay, but (I don't know why) I don't receive
email updates about this thread...
The page that doesn't work for me is http://www.web2py.com/AlterEgo/default/show/66
The other is ok...

Bye