Another Browser...

Yarko Tymciurak

May 24, 2009, 3:05:13 PM5/24/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
I ... needed a break from my computer so I (?!) tried to build / test / debug something that isn't python, that I haven't worked on for a break  (ha!)

Chrome is open source, and version 3 is in a reasonably functional state for Linux (I am using it at this moment), as well as for Mac,

If you too have a "bleeding edge" vein and you would like to try your web2py app against an alpha browser, you do not need to setup or configure a build environment:  you can try nightly builds.

I compare my statically linked, built version against the "buildbot" built version (partly to make sure I built it right).

By trying this browser on Linux / Ubuntu 9.04 (as I am)  I think I am getting the following / learning from this that can be helpful for web2py:
  • build-bot continuous builds (see comments below)
  • _lots_ of automated test suites (as we consider bigtable more, decimal support, etc. this is a rich topic)
  • python-base build system (there is at least one, lighter weight python builder which might be suitable for web2py - to run tests, package, generate docs)
  • svg, css rendering, fast javascript ("V8"), and android graphic imaging components

Potential benefits for web2py:

automated build:
for web2py, having a buildbot for running tests could be useful.  Submitting an app to a buildbot test suite could be part of accepting an app for a version of web2py.  Testing against multiple data-persistence backends would be usefule too.  In fact, eventually it would be nice to have test-bot database servers available for just that.

mdipierro

May 24, 2009, 7:24:30 PM5/24/09
to web2py Web Framework
Yes this would be nice. Please teach us how to...

On May 24, 2:05 pm, Yarko Tymciurak <yark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ... needed a break from my computer so I (?!) tried to build / test /
> debug something that isn't python, that I haven't worked on for a break
>  (ha!)
>
> Chrome is open source, and version 3 is in a reasonably functional state for
> Linux (I am using it at this moment), as well as for Mac,
>
> If you too have a "bleeding edge" vein and you would like to try your web2py
> app against an alpha browser, you do not need to setup or configure a build
> environment:  you can try nightly builds.
>
> Seehttp://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/
>
> I compare my statically linked, built version against the "buildbot" built
> version (partly to make sure I built it right).
>
> By trying this browser on Linux / Ubuntu 9.04 (as I am)  I think I am
> getting the following / learning from this that can be helpful for web2py:
>
>    - build-bot continuous builds (see comments below)
>    - _lots_ of automated test suites (as we consider bigtable more, decimal
>    support, etc. this is a rich topic)
>    - python-base build system (there is at least one, lighter weight python
>    builder which might be suitable for web2py - to run tests, package, generate
>    docs)
>    - svg, css rendering, fast javascript ("V8"), and android graphic imaging

HansD

May 31, 2009, 5:05:44 AM5/31/09
to web2py Web Framework

Yarko Tymciurak

Jun 1, 2009, 2:31:59 AM6/1/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
Nice link - thanks ... looks like this one is worth looking at more thouroughly