Documentation on setting up web2py and Google App Engine (GAE) in a windows XP environment.

Yanni

Apr 15, 2010, 12:29:43 PM4/15/10
to web2py-users
Ok, so here's are the concise steps I took, to get my test web2py
application "pets" on Google App engine.

1. Downloaded the Windows XP compiled windows version:
http://www.web2py.com/examples/default/download
2. Started the web2py server, web2py.exe
3. Followed a demo to create a sample pets123 application.
3. Stopped the webpy server.
4. Downloaded the windows based google windows based SDK.
http://code.google.com/appengine/downloads.html
5. It installed by default to C:\Program Files\Google\google_appengine
6. Downloaded the web2py source code:http://www.web2py.com/examples/
default/download
7. Copied the "source" code root directory web2py into C:\Program Files
\Google\google_appengine
8. Copied my "pets" directory into C:\Program Files\Google
\google_appengine\web2py\applications
9. Changed the first line in app.yaml to "application: pets123"
10. Created an application in my google app called pets (https://
appengine.google.com/)
11. Launched the c:\program files\google\google_appengine
\appengine_launcher.bat
12. Added an existing application by pointing to C:\Program Files
\Google\google_appengine\web2py\
13. "Deployed" the application by clicking the deploy button, and
specifying my gmail account.
14. Made sure my application appeared in http://pets123.appspot.com/welcome/default/index
----------

Going forward I have some questions. When developing on a windows
environment, am I supposed to work on everything locally using the
windows based application, and then copy the directory to the google
app engine, and upload it everytime?
How is development shared with multiple developers?
Is there a way to "download" a deployed application with Google App
Engine, or otherwise?

Thank you,
Yanni.

mdipierro

Apr 15, 2010, 1:06:30 PM4/15/10
to web2py-users

On Apr 15, 11:29 am, Yanni <apoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so here's are the concise steps I took, to get my test web2py
> application "pets" on Google App engine.
>
> 1. Downloaded the Windows XP compiled windows version:http://www.web2py.com/examples/default/download
> 2. Started the web2py server, web2py.exe
> 3. Followed a demo to create a sample pets123 application.
> 3. Stopped the webpy server.

> 4. Downloaded the windows based google windows based SDK.http://code.google.com/appengine/downloads.html

> 5. It installed by default to C:\Program Files\Google\google_appengine
> 6. Downloaded the web2py source code:http://www.web2py.com/examples/
> default/download
> 7. Copied the "source" code root directory web2py into C:\Program Files
> \Google\google_appengine
> 8. Copied my "pets" directory into C:\Program Files\Google
> \google_appengine\web2py\applications
> 9. Changed the first line in app.yaml to "application: pets123"
> 10. Created an application in my google app called pets (https://
> appengine.google.com/)
> 11. Launched the c:\program files\google\google_appengine
> \appengine_launcher.bat
> 12. Added an existing application by pointing to C:\Program Files
> \Google\google_appengine\web2py\
> 13. "Deployed" the application by clicking the deploy button, and
> specifying my gmail account.

> 14. Made sure my application appeared inhttp://pets123.appspot.com/welcome/default/index

> ----------
>
> Going forward I have some questions. When developing on a windows
> environment, am I supposed to work on everything locally using the
> windows based application, and then copy the directory to the google
> app engine, and upload it everytime?

I think appcfg only copies files that have changed

> How is development shared with multiple developers?

You need a version control system. If two or more users share the
admin interface web2py will prevent conflicts in saving the files but
it is not a good idea because code execution may conflict.

> Is there a way to "download" a deployed application with Google App
> Engine, or otherwise?

I which I lost the source of some of the apps I deployed on GAE.

> Thank you,
> Yanni.

Yanni

Apr 15, 2010, 1:27:10 PM4/15/10
to web2py-users
Thank you.

Is there a version control system that you can recommend, or that
integrates well with web2py?

Thadeus Burgess

Apr 15, 2010, 1:52:09 PM4/15/10
to web...@googlegroups.com