Dear Michigan Cycling Friends,
The League of Michigan Bicyclists, Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance,
Michigan Mountain Biking Association, and MSU Bikes are pleased to join
forces once again for the Lucinda Means Bicycle Advocacy Day to be held at
the State Capitol on May 23rd, 2012 as a culmination of National Bike Month.
Whether you enjoy riding on Michigan roads, trails or dirt single track,
Advocacy Day is your opportunity to speak with one voice to help advance the
interests of all cyclists in the state. We hope that casual riders and
die-hards alike will join us in advancing the interests of all bicyclists by
communicating the great importance of cycling to the Michigan Legislator.
This year's key issues include:
* Protect Vulnerable Roadway Users - Enhanced penalties for injuring
* Revise Right Turn Signal - Make extended right arm legal in Michigan
* Support Bikes on Trains - Roll on bike service for Michigan trains
* Oppose efforts to eliminate the Michigan Complete Streets Advisory Council
* Oppose efforts to eliminate dedicated nonmotorized funding
* Oppose "Right to Ride" legislation which elevates equestrian trail users
above all other user groups
* Protect trail utility easements from being given away to telecommunication
* You will find more information about these issues and the status of our
legislative efforts on our website at www.LMB.org/advocacyday
Escorted by local police bike patrols, the day will start with a short road
rally ride from MSU Bikes to the State Capitol where volunteers from all
three organizations will educate legislators on the above policy issues to
help make Michigan a more bicycle-friendly state.
Lunch will be provided after legislative visits, followed by an optional
8:30 am - Bike rally leaves from MSU Bikes to State Capitol
9:15 am Welcome & Guest Speaker Representative Anthony Forlini
9:30 am - Issue Overview & Questions
10:15 am - Meetings with Representatives and Senators
12:45 pm - Lunch on Capitol grounds
1:45 pm - Group photo on Capitol steps
2:00 pm - "Lansing by bicycle" (self-guided ride)
Registration for Advocacy Day is $10 and includes lunch.
Please register asap so we have ample time to prearrange meetings with both
your State Representative and Senator.
Advocacy & Policy Director
League of Michigan Bicyclists
416 S. Cedar St, Suite A
Lansing, MI 48912