require firewater produces NoMethodError

chaitanya

Sep 2, 2010, 2:20:53 PM9/2/10
to Watir General
Hi every1,
I am new to Watir and Firewatir. I tried the Watir in 5 mins
tutorial on Watir OpenQA Wiki. It ran successfully once, but now when
I say b=Watir::Browser.new, it produces a NoMethodError for a method
'demodulize'. I tried some stuff around and when I said require
'firewatir/firefox' , the browser popped up and was good to go.
Similarly I had to import the text_field and link elements in order
for the tutorial to work.
I think there has to be an easy way around. I tried using require
'firewatir' but even that produced the NoMethodError.

Also on my home PC, I need to do require 'rubygems' but on my work PC
require 'rubygems' returns false and I can directly do require
'watir'. What could be the reason for that?

Here is some information about the versions of softwares I'm using
OS: Windows XP
Browser: Firefox 3.6.8
Ruby: 1.8.7
Gems: 1.3.7
Watir: 1.6.5
FireWatir: 1.6.5

I would really appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance

Charley Baker

Sep 2, 2010, 2:57:49 PM9/2/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
The activesupport gem has changed, you mostly likely have 3.0.0. I'll
look into it, but in the meantime, you can roll back to an earlier
version:

gem uninstall activesupport
gem install activesupport --version '=2.3.8'

gem list activesupport #make sure 3.0.0 isn't installed.

Looks like we might need a release sooner than later.

Charley Baker
Lead Developer, Watir, http://watir.com

> --
> Before posting, please read http://watir.com/support. In short: search before you ask, be nice.

John Fitisoff

Sep 2, 2010, 3:01:07 PM9/2/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
That's odd.

require 'watir/browser'
b = Watir::Browser.new

should work and I don't think you want to do it any other way with newer
versions.

chaitanya

Sep 2, 2010, 4:07:35 PM9/2/10
to Watir General
Thanks everyone. @Charley, yeh the activesupport version was 3.0.0. I
found your post on stackoverflow and thus was able to solve it.
Thanks for the help guys