watir install fubared by win32-api-1.4.6 ??

Alan Baird

Feb 9, 2010, 6:04:17 PM2/9/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
All -

Maybe I'm the only one that is having this problem but as I was trying to install Watir today from a fresh install (using ruby 1.8.6 and downloading the rubygems installer), I get the following message:

Y:\abaird\ruby_install\rubygems-1.3.5\rubygems-1.3.5>gem install watir
ERROR: Error installing watir:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for strncpy_s()... no
creating Makefile

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/win32-api-1.4.6 for inspection.
Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/win32-api-1.4.6/ext/gem_make.out

It looks like according to this: http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/win32-api that there might be some version conflict in the recent versions.

However, if you do a 'gem install win32-api -v 1.4.5' followed by 'gem install watir' everything should work out fine.

Also, can anyone tell me why watir has a dependency on gemcutter? I thought that maybe it was because watir was hosted on GitHub, but I can't install it when GitHub is my only gem source so maybe it's for another gem?

Just curious.

Alan

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachments to the original message.

mellissa

Feb 10, 2010, 1:21:40 PM2/10/10
to Watir General
Hey Alan,

Thanks for posting this workaround. I was experiencing a similar issue
with a fresh install but rolling back the win32 api fixed it.

My errors posted below, but in the same vein:

-----------
C:\>gem install watir

ERROR: Error installing watir:

C:/Ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb

checking for strncpy_s()... no
creating Makefile

nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

cl -nologo -I. -I. -IC:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -MD
-Zi -O2b2
xg- -G6 -c -Tcwin32/api.c
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
'0x1'
Stop.

Gem files will remain installed in C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
win32-api-1.4.
6 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/win32-api-1.4.6/ext/
gem_make.out
-----------

Thanks again!

mellissa

On Feb 9, 3:04 pm, Alan Baird <alan.ba...@riskmetrics.com> wrote:
> All -
>
> Maybe I'm the only one that is having this problem but as I was trying to install Watir today from a fresh install (using ruby 1.8.6 and downloading the rubygems installer), I get the following message:
>
> Y:\abaird\ruby_install\rubygems-1.3.5\rubygems-1.3.5>gem install watir
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing watir:
>         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
> checking for strncpy_s()... no
> creating Makefile
>
> nmake
> 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Gem files will remain installed in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/win32-api-1.4.6 for inspection.
> Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/win32-api-1.4.6/ext/gem_make.out
>

> It looks like according to this:http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/win32-apithat there might be some version conflict in the recent versions.

Charley Baker

Feb 10, 2010, 7:41:04 PM2/10/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
There's something wrong with the current gem requires and win32-api. I'll check into it. Use the hack below to get at the previous version until I have a chance to fix this.

-c

Charley Baker

Feb 12, 2010, 1:24:17 PM2/12/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
It should work fine now, Dan just uploaded an x86-mswin32 precompiled binary.

-c