problem running watir tests from hudson

andreyr

Jan 14, 2010, 3:55:14 AM1/14/10
to Watir General
Hi,

I am using Watir with RSpec to create tests. Recently I decided to
move to Hudson to get tests run automatically. I made a few rake tasks
and created Hudson jobs to run these tasks. But all my Hudson jobs
always fail with two kinds of messages.

If I use FF:
* Watir::Exception::UnableToStartJSShException in 'deposit before
(:all)'
* Unable to connect to machine : 127.0.0.1 on port 9997. Make sure
that JSSh is properly installed and Firefox is running with '-jssh'
option

If I use IE:
ArgumentError in 'deposit before(:all)' wrong number of arguments (1
for 0) ./tests/deposit_spec.rb:25:in `new'

(this happens in the browser = Watir::IE.new call)
Running 'spec deposit_spec.rb' works fine for FF and IE

Running 'rake deposit' works fine for both browsers

But running the same 'rake deposit' from Hudson does not work!

My initial guess is that there is a conflict between Hudson running on
localhost:8080 and JSSH on 127.0.0.1:9997 but I do not know how to
verify it.

Is there somebody who encountered the same problem? Any advice how to
proceed?

Bill Agee

Jan 14, 2010, 12:01:48 PM1/14/10
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
Is Hudson running on a Windows machine where no one is logged in?  If so, that might be causing some issues.

Hudson questions have been popping up on this list fairly often recently...

Here's a trip report from someone who seems to have had no issues using Watir and Hudson together:

http://effectiveqa.blogspot.com/2007/10/using-watir-and-hudson-to-monitor.html

Interesting to note that he was using VMware to run the Hudson/Watir machine, which makes me suspect a Windows user was probably logged in to it while tests were running.  VMware can be easily fooled into logging in a Windows user and bringing up an interactive desktop, even if it's running on a headless machine.

Thanks
Bill

andreyr

Jan 15, 2010, 3:19:56 AM1/15/10
to Watir General
I run Hudson on Windows indeed, but I have a user logged in all the
time. Yesterday I tried QuickBuild Community Edition and it worked
just fine: I was able to run QB server and launch Firefox and/or IE on
the same host, and all tests executed as expected. IMO, this confirms
my initial guess that there something in a way how Hudson executes
external processes (and a bit of a conflict with JSSH). But this is a
question for a different list :) For now, I will proceed with QB.

Thank you!
Andrey