watir all_tests.rb failures and errors wtih REXML and Win32OLERuntimeError

John Ingle

Jan 14, 2008, 12:22:52 PM1/14/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone, I’m new.

I’ve tried searching the mail archives, but I come up with nothing.  The user guide simply says “all tests should pass” and gives no information about what to do in the event they do *not* pass.

I’ve installed ruby (via the one-click installer) and used gem to install watir along with its dependencies (win32-process-0.5.5, windows-pr-0.7.4, windows-api-0.2.0, and I chose win32-api-1.0.4-mswin32 over the 1.0.5 version).  When I run the unit tests using all_tests.rb, I get 9 failures and 282 errors.

A lot of the errors seem to be Win32OLERuntimeErrors.  Others give me the message "Requires REXML version of at least 3.1.4. Actual: 3.1.2.1.”  The rest appear to be legitimate errors regarding unexpected argument types and such.

Is there a way to upgrade REXML?  Is it a gem, because gem didn’t find it?  What can I do about the Win32OLERuntimeErrors?  I would love to use watir in my testing, but these problems have been show stoppers for even exploring the possibility.

John Ingle

John Ingle

Jan 14, 2008, 1:59:01 PM1/14/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com

Note that I was using 1.8.2-15 for the showModalDialogue support.  I’ll try upgrading to 1.8.5-24 and see if things get any better.

John Ingle

Jan 14, 2008, 2:18:33 PM1/14/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com

Okay, some more information.  After uninstalling Ruby 1.8.2-15 and installing 1.8.5-24 instead, I installed watir again.  This time, I used the –t switch to test before installing.  Gem told me that there were 20 failures and 0 errors, did I want to keep the gem?  I said no initially.  Then I realized that I couldn’t get any good troubleshooting data from no installation.  So, I went ahead and tried to install watir again via gem, this time without the –t switch (after all, I just ran that and got 20 errors right?).  After it finished installing, I went to the watir\unittests directory and manually executed all_tests.rb.  This time I got 38 failures and 6 errors.  Is this not the exact series of tests that the –t switch executed?  Why would I get different failure and error rates over two successive executions?  I didn’t install anything else in between.  I simply told gem ‘no’ then changed my mind and told it to install again…

Željko Filipin

Jan 14, 2008, 3:16:55 PM1/14/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I have opened ticket in bug tracker that all_tests.rb fails.
http://jira.openqa.org/browse/WTR-92

You are probably following the "old" user guide at
http://wtr.rubyforge.org/watir_user_guide.html

You should switch to updated one at
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Tutorial

In short, you should only run core_test.rb and all of them should pass.

A question to community: should we remove the old user guide?

Željko
--
ZeljkoFilipin.com

John Ingle

Jan 14, 2008, 3:32:04 PM1/14/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com

Thank you very much Mr. Filipin.  I’ll try the updated user guide out.  I certainly vote to remove the old one, if I found it confusing, I dare say others will too.  J

Jan 14, 2008, 3:40:27 PM1/14/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
2008/1/14 John Ingle <john....@decisionsource.com>:

> I'll try the updated user guide out. I certainly vote to remove the old one

When searching for Watir user guide, the old one is the first result in Google, Yahoo and Live search. I guess lots of people find it that way.

Željko

John Ingle

Jan 14, 2008, 3:50:04 PM1/14/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com

Using core_test.rb gave me 20 errors, which is in line with what gem told me it had.  So, now my only question would be how to go about solving these errors?  Are they show-stoppers?  Most of them are expected value errors (caused by Assert statements I presume).  It seems these errors would be caused by badly written tests.  Are they indicative of a mis-configured installation or bugs in watir?

Okay, I guess that turned into three questions.  J

Jan 16, 2008, 2:48:21 PM1/16/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com

Okay, all problems solved.  The solution is a quite embarrassing, but it worked.  All I had to do was a simple ‘gem update’ and then all core tests passed without error.

So, in hope of saving someone else the pain of looking and not finding answers, I updated the tutorial on the wiki.  After the line stating that all tests should pass, I added a simple recommendation to try a ‘gem update’.  If this is wrong, let me know and I’ll remove it, otherwise I think it needs to be there for the sake of those to whom such a move is non-obvious for whatever reason.

John Ingle

Bret Pettichord

Jan 19, 2008, 8:48:54 AM1/19/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
John,

Where did you read that all the tests should pass? There have always
been some failing tests, so this should never have been said.

We do have a set of core tests that pass reliably. My sense is that the
errors you are seeing are not show-stoppers. If you want to use Watir's
xpath support, then you will need to install a newer version of REXML.
This is not a gem.

If there are other test failures that you are concerned about, then
please post them here and we can address them.

Bret

--
Bret Pettichord
Lead Developer, Watir, http://wtr.rubyforge.org

Željko Filipin

Jan 21, 2008, 1:13:02 PM1/21/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
2008/1/16 John Ingle <john....@decisionsource.com>:

> So, in hope of saving someone else the pain of looking and not finding answers, I updated the tutorial on the wiki.

That is what wiki is for. Thanks for updating.

Željko

Bret Pettichord

Jan 21, 2008, 10:56:54 PM1/21/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
John Ingle wrote:

> Okay, all problems solved. The solution is a quite embarrassing, but
> it worked. All I had to do was a simple 'gem update' and then all core
> tests passed without error.
>
> So, in hope of saving someone else the pain of looking and not finding
> answers, I updated the tutorial on the wiki. After the line stating
> that all tests should pass, I added a simple recommendation to try a
> 'gem update'. If this is wrong, let me know and I'll remove it,
> otherwise I think it needs to be there for the sake of those to whom
> such a move is non-obvious for whatever reason.

John, Thanks for updating the wiki.

Bret

Bret Pettichord

Jan 21, 2008, 10:59:35 PM1/21/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
Since Google points to the old user guide, we need to replace it with a
page that links to (or redirects to) the new user guide. Feel free to
open a jira ticket if you'd like help doing this.

Bret

Željko Filipin

Jan 31, 2008, 9:52:02 AM1/31/08
to watir-...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 22, 2008 4:59 AM, Bret Pettichord <br...@pettichord.com> wrote:
> Since Google points to the old user guide, we need to replace it with a
> page that links to (or redirects to) the new user guide.

Done. Redirects after five seconds in Firefox 2, Opera 9 and Safari 3, but does not redirect in Internet Explorer 7. All browsers tested on Windows XP Professional, Service pack 2. Html is valid. Am I doing something wrong, or IE just does not like to redirect?

Željko