Address Cleanup / Standardization

Tac Tacelosky

Nov 8, 2012, 6:54:35 PM11/8/12
to DCPHP PHPDC
I'm working on a project that needs to merge a few databases, and not surprisingly, the store names and addresses differ wildly.  I thought I found a toolkit that would allow me to process all the databases and standardize them names (and remove duplicates) here:

But my order was rejected, based on their terms and conditions:

8. ZP4's license prohibits processing data for clients, and prohibits using ZP4 to create ZP4-derived or ZP4-dependent data or services. Semaphore Corporation may decline your order ... or if you are a service company, reseller, data vendor, or programming shop.

Argh.  They also have geo-coding tools, which I was quite enthusiastic about.

Any other suggestions?  I can't believe USPS doesn't make it easier, one would think that it's in their best interest to make it easy to sort mail, standardize addresses, etc.

Thx,

Tac

William Hurley

Nov 8, 2012, 7:12:34 PM11/8/12
to DCPHP PHPDC

Geocoding services should also return the normalized address. I don't know if the TOS for Yahoo Placefinder would work, but I'm reasonably sure Google's wouldn't unless you're mapping them on GMap.

Ray Paseur

Nov 9, 2012, 7:48:04 AM11/9/12
to washington-...@googlegroups.com
Tac:  Technically it may be a violation of Google TOS to use their data without simultaneously using a Google service.  That said, they do, in fact, return standardized addresses.  And the USPS has an API.  You can also use a request something like this (my address)
https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupResultsAction!input.action?resultMode=0&companyName=&address1=1446+Colleen+Lane&address2=&city=Mclean&state=VA&urbanCode=&postalCode=&zip=

One of the terms you might need to know about is "CASS Certified."

If I can find the USPS API information, I'll send it to you.

Ray