Migrate Code from ColdFusion to PHP

Scott Harvey

Aug 18, 2014, 1:02:04 PM8/18/14
to washington-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My company is looking for a development shop in the DC area to migrate our codebase from ColdFusion 10 to PHP. I say development shop because I'm looking for an established team and don't want to build my own team. Additionally, I can't see any single person being able to re-write 10 years worth of code in the time that management would like the migration to happen (content management, contract and financial data management, CRM,  document management, purchase requisitions / expense reporting, purchase orders / invoicing, reporting, time and attendance, user management, etc that were all built to custom specifications).

My primary requirement is to find a shop that has done a ColdFusion to PHP migration and ideally within the past 3 years. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop to reach out to?

Thanks,
Scott

Joshua Boyd

Aug 19, 2014, 12:10:49 PM8/19/14
to washington-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

I'm just wondering, but why?

Why would your company endeavor on such a huge project when you have applications that are already working in CF?

This would be a very expensive project upfront, and have expensive continuing costs as bugs are discovered where the new behavior doesn't match the old behavior.

Unless there's some fantastic reason, it would be far cheaper (and easier) to start pushing those various applications to vendor applications that will integrate with each other where needed, instead of writing an entire new suite of applications where a decade of bug fixes will probably be lost.

Josh