Can't install guest OS

PaddleHard

Nov 10, 2009, 11:41:11 AM11/10/09
I have esxi installed on IBM hardware. I've used older versions of
vmware, so I'm somewhat familiar with virtualization, but have not
worked with the current version. We are using esxi 4.0 and I'm
connecting with the vsphere client. I've created an iso with a
freeware tool and have moved it to a folder on the datastore. I've
edited the VM machine's settings (CD/DVD Drive 1) using Device Type
'Datastore ISO File', browsing to the iso file for the Windows Server
2003 Enterprise 64-bit iso. I've selected connect at power on. I power
on the machine and get nothing. After a quick splash screen showing F2
to get into the biso, it goes straight into a network boot (searching
for a PXE server). I've tried booting from a CD at the host and my
local pc cd. No luck. Does the exact same thing. It's as if it doesn't
see/recognize these boot devices/options.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be warmly welcomed.
Chris

ziph

Nov 11, 2009, 3:43:16 AM11/11/09

Hello Chris

In the settings for the vm, you can goto "edit settings" then take the
options tab, find the "boot options" value, then tick off the box
saying "Force bios setup". SO next time you boot, you will be able to
go into bios and tell it to boot off the cd drive as first boot device
next time you boot. It is in a similar manner like when you try to
boot a normal computer with a cd. Allso you can try to hit F8 which
will bring up a boot list of possible boot devices (raid/network/
cdrom.. etc).

jcardel

S. Checker

Nov 12, 2009, 9:41:14 AM11/12/09

I'm not sure which freeware tool you used or whether it has worked for
you in the past, but FWIW I've always simply used "dd" from the VMWare
console to make iso files. Can you test the iso you made by burning it
back to a CD?
--
Theirs was a New York love, a checkered taxi ride burning rubber, and
like the city their passion was open 24/7, steam rising from their