Unschooling and exponential technological change; dignitarians

Paul D. Fernhout

May 8, 2008, 1:46:47 AM5/8/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
More dusty stuff I wrote about a year ago forwarded below called
"Unschooling and exponential technological change" and placed here for
future reference. :-)

That discussed examples of the same exponential trends people should take
into account when planning space (or Earth :-) missions in the 2028-2038
time frame. :-)

And these trends are why people are *really* going to laugh at part of the
Project Virgle joke (the Inc. part) in twenty to thirty years as these
trends continue to play out in either personal empowerment or planet-wide
catastrophe (or maybe both).

The same way we might laugh today at, say, the Salem Witch trials. :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practical_Magic

Sort of. :-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials
"Not even in death were the accused witches granted peace or respect."

For a more current example of burning people who had done no wrong at a
metaphorical (non-equity) stake:
http://www.adbusters.org/the_magazine/71/Generation_Fcked_How_Britain_is_Eating_Its_Young.html
"The UN’s first ever report on the state of childhood in the industrialized
West made unpleasant reading for many of the world’s richest nations. But
none found it quite so hard to swallow as the Brits, who, old jokes about
English cooking aside, discovered that they were eating their own young.
According to the Unicef report, which measured 40 indicators of quality of
life – including the strength of relationships with friends and family,
educational achievements and personal aspirations, and exposure to drinking,
drug taking and other risky behaviour – British children have the most
miserable upbringing in the developed world. American children come next,
second from the bottom. ... “The reason our children’s lives are the worst
among economically advanced countries is because we are a poor version of
the USA,” he said. “So the USA comes second from bottom and we follow
behind. The age of neo-liberalism, even with the human face that New Labour
has given it, cannot stem the tide of the social recession capitalism creates.”"

And probably these kids get figuratively burned for some of the same sorts
of unexamined reasons those women (some midwives?) got literally burned.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_burn1.htm
And that is not even considering the obsolete seven lessons the kids are
forced to endure for almost their entire childhood:
http://www.newciv.org/whole/schoolteacher.txt

And that distress of children in both the USA and the UK is caused IMHO also
in part by many of the same sorts of unexamined economic processes Google
and Virgin implicitly (jokingly) propose exporting to Mars via the "Inc."
part here:
http://www.google.com/virgle/opensource.html
Which makes no sense to me (even as a joke) both given these exponential
trends and also that for many children today in the USA and the UK it
obviously isn't working very well according to UNICEF. As with the
contractors, no Segways and massages for the kids either, of course, and
such would probably not help much anyway, given the level of existential
distress many are in according to the UNICEF study. :-(

One hopefully helpful idea:
http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/full/23/24/5520
"One of the most confounding challenges faced by end-of-life care providers
is helping patients achieve or maintain a sense of dignity. Our prior
studies of dignity and end-of-life care have shown a strong association
between an undermining of dignity and depression, anxiety, desire for death,
hopelessness, feeling of being a burden on others, and overall poorer
quality of life.1-4 Yet, dying with dignity is usually only vaguely
understood; hence, although the pursuit of dignity frequently underlies
various approaches to end-of-life care, its therapeutic implications are
frequently uncertain."

You can probably guess I spent a lot of time in nursing homes with my Mom
while all the people in them (whether old or young, whether infirm or
visitor or volunteer or paid caretaker) were suffering increased indignities
due in part to money indirectly siphoned off from these places to support
the Iraq war disaster. :-(
"The UN secretary general has said that most Middle East leaders regard the
US-led invasion of Iraq and its aftermath as a disaster for the region."

In some sense, we are all terminally ill from the day we are conceived. :-)

Some might disagree from a post-singularity perspective:
"Ray Kurzweil's Plan: Never Die"
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2002/11/56448
Of course, it may take Kurzweil a billion years (literally :-) to
discover this, but death is inescapably a part of life, because life is
change. If Kurzweil tries not to die ever, he will have to stop changing.
And then he is dead already. That is not to say embrace death any quicker
than it comes way down the road after a full life (if for no other reason
than how it effects friends and family), but it is to say that death is part
of life, the other side of the coin so to speak. Try to take away one side
of a coin and what do you have? Nothing. So we are left figuring out for
ourselves and our communities how to live *and* die with dignity.

But here's a less morbid approach to that idea:
http://www.dignitarians.org/
"The Dignitarian Foundation is an organization dedicated to promoting and
protecting the intrinsic right to human dignity - the belief that as a
person, one is automatically worthy, honorable, and deserving of respect,
regardless of status, station or stage of life. We believe we can and must
find alternatives to practices that harm individual dignity, instead of
continuing to convey the toxic residue of these indignities down the line,
from those with the most power to those with the least. Our mission is to
overturn the consensus view that says it is acceptable to treat certain
people and groups badly because other people are doing it or because you can
get away with it."

And I think those Dignitarian ideas will hold up well despite the
exponential technological changes outlined below.

Maybe even, someday, those Dignitarian ideas will even apply for "red badge"
Google contractors, too. :-)
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/googlife

Even the unseen ones slaving away making Google's electronics in China or
wherever. :-(
http://www.csrwire.com/News/9197.html
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/26/203.html

After all, in some sense, now we are *all* Google contractors. :-)
http://www.worldpress.org/1101we_are_all_americans.htm
https://www.google.com/adsense/

Which at least sounds better than "we are all prisoners": :-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner
http://www.antiwar.com/roberts/?articleid=12113
"Cory Doctorow's Fiction About An Evil Google"
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/20/2325240

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.openvirgle.net/

Below is forwarded "Unschooling and exponential technological change".
A teaser is: "So, here are possible specs for a personal computer of 2027 if
it was a million times faster than today's: ..."