Assholes

PhuckGoogle

Apr 1, 2008, 3:41:14 AM4/1/08
to Project Virgle
I can't wait to get off this planet and away from all the stupid
assholes that make it up. Google founders and Virgin dousche bag is
now at the top of the list of people that suck ass. Thanks for
wasting my time, go back to sipping champagne and pissing on all the
little people you assholes. Your time is coming.

twentyafterfour

Apr 1, 2008, 3:49:09 AM4/1/08
to Project Virgle
This is not helping your chances of getting accepted as a Virgle
Pioneer. If you want off the planet so badly then your best chance is
in the hands of the very ass suckers that you are complaining about...
You should never bite the douchebag that feeds you!

Trenchcoat

Apr 1, 2008, 3:49:13 AM4/1/08
to Project Virgle
In other words, you failed the system application.

: /

Maybe next time?

TheCheshireCatalyst

Apr 1, 2008, 3:51:03 AM4/1/08
to Project Virgle
Looks like you'll just have to man up and take it in the ass while
they piss on you, to get off this planet. Goto mars, and inscribe a
proprietary license on a rock, with provisions to keep you from
getting pissed on as well as keeping them from GPLing any of the land.

FunkeeMonkee

Apr 1, 2008, 1:59:39 PM4/1/08
to Project Virgle
oh no he di-unt

SeniorEarthCorrespondent

Apr 1, 2008, 2:10:37 PM4/1/08
to Project Virgle
Earth to PhuckGoogle: Assholism is a trans-species affliction. It does
NOT recognize social status. Don't like the planet? Don't like the
joke? Quit bitchin'...start hitchin' My suggestion? Try Pluto it's as
cold as your disposition.

Spike

Apr 13, 2008, 11:03:35 AM4/13/08
to Project Virgle
I concur with your assessent of the joke...FucK you, whoever came up
with this joke...Going to Mars is real and it seems real that Google,
who is on NASA Ames Research Center and Virgin's Richard Branson is
working with Burt Rutan on the Virgin Galatica...it only makes sense
that entrepreneurs of such status can start and carry forward a
project of this magnitude, so to make this a joke is a fucking
disgrace and I'd really like to meet the folks who put this together;
it hurts that they think this would be a joke. We as humans have
proven that this project is possible all we need to do is set
ourselves to the task.

Scottyoman

Apr 13, 2008, 7:58:57 PM4/13/08
to Project Virgle
That is the problem going to Mars isn't real.

Spike

Apr 13, 2008, 10:52:15 PM4/13/08
to Project Virgle
Going to Mars is real, it can be done, and eventually, we are going to
do it. The benefits derived from advancing our technologies and
science in order to fulfill such a mission will prove to be a boon to
the welfare of mankind.
Herbert Spencer wrote, "There is a principle which is a bar against
all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot
fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance; that principle is
contempt prior to investigation."
Check Robert Zubrin, Donald Rapp, Dr. Humboldt Mandell, University of
Texas, Peter Cattermole, Mars Direct, nasa.gov, the ISDC, SRR, STAIF,
etc., the Sojourner, Pathfinder, Vikings, Spirit, Opportunity, Phoenix
missions, and think about what we can do versus what you suggest isn't
real...I sincerely hope that you are young enough to be alive when it
come to fruition.

-
> > > little people you assholes.  Your time is coming.- Hide quoted text -

Scottyoman

Apr 14, 2008, 8:25:20 AM4/14/08
to Project Virgle
It can't be done, because of , like I said in another thread, Extreme
muscle loss, Lack of Funding, Lack of O2 to bring there and hold for
years, Lack of real work being done to help it.

Paradigm Shift

Apr 14, 2008, 9:39:01 AM4/14/08
to Project Virgle
Don't say it can't be done, because it can.

As far as muscle loss goes, genetic engineering will solve that. Sure
we might end up smaller, and the gene for muscle loss might change our
skin colour to green. Then we will probably invent some kind of time
machine and come back and visit ourselves, and the little green men
legend will be born. In fact the green skin will be probably be the
result of chlorophyll in our blood so we can photosynthesize and
produce oxygen at night. It all hangs together perfectly, except for
one small problem that I haven't quite solved yet... How are we going
to fund it?

Wait... Of course... It's obvious... All we need to to is get "Big
Brother" involved, and have the first big brother in space (well on
mars anyway). Then people can vote in, and if you get evicted, then
you get thrown out the air lock. The money they make from the phone
calls for the voting on earth will easily cover the cost. Lets face
it, it is a great way to get all the assholes like PhunkGoogle off
mars, and who wouldn't phone in like 1000 times at 55c a pop and vote
to see that "champagne phobic", "my times too precious to get fooled
by an april fools day joke" person who doesn't like ass suckers
asphyxiate on the surface on mars? The money "Big Brother" would make
on the PhunkGoogle eviction night alone would probably cover the cost
of 50% of the mission (if not more).

Finally, there will be no pissing on anyone on mars thank you very
much. The reason is simple... We will have to recycle our pee as water
will be so rare. We possibly might even be able to extract the oxygen
from our pee as well (seeing as water is made up of oxygen and pee is
mostly water). So, if you think drinking your own pee is bad. Imagine
breathing it!!! Now, that's the bad news! The good news is that I
think sucking ass ought to be allowed just to piss off PhuckGoogle so
he goes really nuts, thus ensuring that the "Big Brother" viewers on
Earth vote him off.

So all you nay sayers like Scottyoman who say we can't afford it...
What do you think now? Personal I think google, virgin, and big
brother might actually make a profit.

Scottyoman

Apr 14, 2008, 5:11:08 PM4/14/08
to Project Virgle
Ok, number one I meant that you can't do it currently.Then, well the
recycling was one of the main things we would need to do. Last, google
and virgin would not do it, because well lets face it what do they
have to gain? But, if we wanted to do it we need to first finish the
international space station and get all those countries to fund the
colonization and you could use the space station as the way to prevent
the muscle loss and time saver.

Bryan Bishop

Apr 14, 2008, 5:55:28 PM4/14/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 14 April 2008, Paradigm Shift wrote:
> As far as muscle loss goes, genetic engineering will solve that. Sure
> we might end up smaller, and the gene for muscle loss might change
> our skin colour to green. Then we will probably invent some kind of
> time machine and come back and visit ourselves, and the little green
> men legend will be born. In fact the green skin will be probably be
> the result of chlorophyll in our blood so we can photosynthesize and
> produce oxygen at night. It all hangs together perfectly, except for
> one small problem that I haven't quite solved yet... How are we going
> to fund it?

Money isn't that much of an issue; just design the systems and publish
the information, and then people can contribute materials, resources,
time, effort, knowledge, etc. to making it run.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/

Scottyoman

Apr 14, 2008, 7:17:56 PM4/14/08
to Project Virgle
All you did was post your thing twice and copy Paradigm Shift... and
GENETIC ENGINEERING IS HELLA EXPENSIVE, probably will cost more than
the mission itself.

Bryan Bishop

Apr 14, 2008, 7:50:49 PM4/14/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 14 April 2008, Scottyoman wrote:
> All you did was post your thing twice and copy Paradigm Shift... and

What? What did I post twice, and what about Paradigm Shift did I copy?

> GENETIC ENGINEERING IS HELLA EXPENSIVE, probably will cost more than
> the mission itself.

Do-it-yourself synthetic biology is getting cheaper every day. $15 for a
PCR thermocycler. Under $500 for machines on ebay to do DNA sequencing.
Then there's the pyrosequencing tactics. Open source DNA synthesizers
have been designed, etc. Bacteria can be used to help *exponentially*
(in terms of growth) with Mars projects. See here:

http://heybryan.org/mediawiki/index.php/Moontank

Paradigm Shift

Apr 15, 2008, 8:57:18 AM4/15/08
to Project Virgle
Err, I was joking about the genetic engineering thing actually, but it
sounds like you have it all figured out Bryan so go for it. You give
the impression that you could probably do the whole thing on your own
using stuff on e-bay for a few thousand dollars.

I still have a few doubts about one thing though! How are you going to
genetically engineer your big head to make it small enough to get one
of those standard sized e-bay space helmets on? If only we could
reverse the exponential effect of the bacteria to shrink your head,
then maybe you'll get to go to mars after all.

Bryan Bishop

Apr 15, 2008, 6:30:29 PM4/15/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Paradigm Shift wrote:
> I still have a few doubts about one thing though! How are you going
> to genetically engineer your big head to make it small enough to get
> one of those standard sized e-bay space helmets on? If only we could
> reverse the exponential effect of the bacteria to shrink your head,
> then maybe you'll get to go to mars after all.

Yes, yes, I'll use a hyperdiatomic inverse matrix circuit to accelerate
returns to doubly calcify the keratin deposits so that the HF
approximators can reduce both volume and constrained surface space at
the same time, thereby encoding cryptographic routines back into the
dot matrices. It was obvious.

Scottyoman

Apr 15, 2008, 9:56:56 PM4/15/08
to Project Virgle
Hey Bryan, I visited your site, and I found something out YOU ARE AN
IDIOT, most the stuff on it doesn't make sense and why are you even
advertising it on your posts...
anyway on to the reply that doesn't make sense, I would love to see
you defend Open source DNA synthesizers or the inverse matrix circuit,
neither of those make sense.

Paradigm Shift

Apr 16, 2008, 7:51:12 AM4/16/08
to Project Virgle
I suppose that Bryan could be hyper intelligent and on a completely
different level to us thickos, but I'm actually going to go with
scottyoman's "YOU ARE AN IDIOT" theory.

Actually, just out of interest, what do you do for a living Bryan? My
guess is that you're an unemployed schizophrenic biology dropout from
1978 who has no girl-friend/wife and probably lives with his mother
and spends most of his time posting unintelligible pseudo-science
fantasy to his home made web site with no basis in reality.

Then again, you could simply be totally insane. I am actually
surprised that they give you internet access at the mental hospital.
Still we have to give you some credit... It's bloody hard typing with
a straight jacket on while space out on lithium. Well done Bryan! At
this rate, they might let you out of hospital in a couple of hundred
years.

Paul D. Fernhout

Apr 16, 2008, 10:38:04 AM4/16/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
There is obviously a lot of anger still rolling around here after this April
1st joke (even just judging from the title of this thread :-).

It seemed obvious (to me) that Bryan was just having fun in responding to an
Ad hominem (personal) attack:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
Which sure seems to indicate some maturity of judgment IMHO.

And after having the "best and the brightest"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_and_the_Brightest
in *just* the USA launch dozens of wars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States
and devote more total land area than the District of Columbia,
Massachusetts, and New Jersey combined to U.S. nuclear weapons bases and
facilities:
http://www.brookings.edu/projects/archive/nucweapons/50.aspx
(not to mention more than $5.8 Trillion on Nuclear Arms Since 1940)
all because supposedly "There Is No Alternative -- TINA":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TINA
http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
then, *yes*, proposing anything else but "more of the same" in going to seem
a bit "funny" at first. :-)

Whether *all* the content on Bryan's site makes 100% sense or not,
http://heybryan.org/
we are never going to get to Mars or anywhere else in a sustainable way
until we learn as a society how to cooperate and learn to live together in
neighborly peace (even and especially when we don't agree about basic things
like religion). That's the biggest "paradigm shift" that needs to happen.
Advances in technology from other paradigm shifts all make it easier to be
generous and gracious in a world more full of (informational and material,
if not spiritual) abundance everyday. And Bryan is being generous in sharing
with the rest of us the results of a lot of hard work, collecting and
gathering information (and maybe someday rating it on feasibility or
difficulty :-).

So Bryan is IMHO at least doing something worthwhile (especially compared
to, say. joining a gang of NeoCons etc. :-) And his work is a lot more
worthwhile than, say, what the "best and the brightest" NeoCons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_and_the_Brightest
currently in charge of our tax dollars are doing with launching optional
"preventive" wars:
"Iraq war could cost US over $2 trillion, says Nobel prize-winning economist"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/jan/07/usa.iraq

That $2 trillion amount alone could have super-insulated all US homes
http://greendesignbuild.net/SuperInsulatedHomes.aspx
to eliminate the need for foreign oil imports (and perhaps solved
unemployment and the housing crises at the same time :-) and turned Baghdad,
Iraq into a paradise as a real "green zone" to promote good will:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_city
And, we would *still* had enough money and idealistic youthful lives and
limbs and heroic hearts :-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman
left over afterwards for Project Virgle.

After all, NASA's annual budget at about $17 billion is only about 2% of the
almost $1000 billion the US spends on "defense" if you count in future
obligations and interest on previous borrowed defense expenditures (the
Federal deficit). What could NASA do with, say, 50X the budget? Or the rest
of us?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittle_Power
"Brittle Power: Energy Strategy for National Security is a 1982 book by
Amory B. Lovins and L. Hunter Lovins, prepared originally as a Pentagon
study, and re-released in 2001 following the September 11 attacks. The book
argues that domestic energy infrastructure is very vulnerable to disruption,
by accident or malice, often even more so than imported oil. A resilient
energy system is feasible, costs less, works better, is favoured in the
market, but is rejected by U.S. policy. In the preface to the 2001 edition,
Lovins explains that these themes are still very current."

But, when all you have is a $1000 billion a year military, every problem
looks like a war. :-(
"U.S. Air Force Plans for Future War in Space"
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/higher_ground_040222.html

What are these other advances in technology generating abundance for all?
* Sharing information over the internet under free licenses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
* Printing in 3D.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reprap
* Generating renewable energy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy
* Cheap computing for everyone:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child
* Sustainable agriculture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agriculture
* Universal health care
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care
* Designing "Cradle to Cradle".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_to_Cradle
And so on. Or some of the other ideas on Bryan's site.

Those advances *support* the more important change in human consciousness
towards global compassion etc. but are less important than it because we
could make the world work for most everybody if we worked at it even with
just 1960s-level technology that got us to the Moon:
http://www.educationanddemocracy.org/FSCfiles/C_CC2a_TripleRevolution.htm

Rather than be something new, that change to abundance for all is more a
return to the old ways which were possible when there were few people and a
seemingly infinitely abundant plane). That was before the military,
agricultural, industrial, copyright, real estate and stock "bubbles"
happened. :-) See:
http://www.primitivism.com/original-affluent.htm
"Hunter-gatherers consume less energy per capita per year than any other
group of human beings. Yet when you come to examine it the original affluent
society was none other than the hunter's - in which all the people's
material wants were easily satisfied. To accept that hunters are affluent is
therefore to recognise that the present human condition of man slaving to
bridge the gap between his unlimited wants and his insufficient means is a
tragedy of modern times."

But the Hunter-gatherer lifestyle was it part doomed by population pressures
caused by its very success -- leading to where we are now, trying to
recapture the better parts of what we once had but using different technology.

From:
http://www.marcinequenzer.com/creation.htm#The%20Field%20of%20Plenty
"The Field of Plenty is always full of abundance. The gratitude we show as
Children of Earth allows the ideas within the Field of Plenty to manifest on
the Good Red Road so we may enjoy these fruits in a physical manner. When
the cornucopia was brought to the Pilgrims, the Iroquois People sought to
assist these Boat People in destroying their fear of scarcity. The Native
understanding is that there is always enough for everyone when abundance is
shared and when gratitude is given back to the Original Source. The trick
was to explain the concept of the Field of Plenty with few mutually
understood words or signs. The misunderstanding that sprang from this lack
of common language robbed those who came to Turtle Island of a beautiful
teaching. Our "land of the free, home of the brave" has fallen into taking
much more than is given back in gratitude by its citizens. Turtle Island has
provided for the needs of millions who came from lands that were ruled by
the greedy. In our present state of abundance, many of our inhabitants have
forgotten that Thanksgiving is a daily way of living, not a holiday that
comes once a year."

How can we learn to be thankful for this wagon load of horse manure Google
and Virgin (and the Field of Plenty?) have dumped on all our hopes and
dreams for a better life on Spaceship Earth and beyond (Mars, the Asteroids,
Alpha Centauri, etc.)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceship_Earth
How can we use the manure as compost for good discussions and the wagon as
part of a "wagon train to the stars"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon_Train

And how can we do better in the future than letting Google take another dump
on Wikipedia and other projects related to free knowledge? From:
http://groups.google.com/group/openvirgle/msg/64761d37e823b2db
"Other Google services make it hard or impossible (legally) to download all
the data it a service (example: there is no way I know of to easily download
all the posts in this group without a spider program that may violate
Google's terms of service, whereas Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/
offers easy download links). That is perhaps to increase AdSense revenue. I
assume Knol will do the same -- meaning all the Knol data (or a subset) will
not be legally downloadable for client-side analysis (as I want to do with
OSCOMAK to design industrial ecologies). This also implies Google would not
help, or might even impede, OpenVirgle and OSCOMAK -- if my speculations are
correct, since they in a sense compete with Knol. Maybe Google really is
Captain Amazing after all to the Cassanova Frankenstein of profit. :-( I'm
feeling quite the April fool now, not about Virgle, but about having
taken this long to see this and extended Google this much good will
afterwards to suggest using all their services. :-( I'm bummed and I hope I
am mistaken as to their directions. And I can see now firsthand the
anti-trust calls to split the search division from the content division."

Has Google "jumped the shark" with Virgle?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
Maybe. :-) Or maybe on reflection they may decide to make amends. :-)

The central problem for Google, as I see it, is being a post-scarcity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_scarcity
project (organize all the world's information, presumably for the benefit of
humanity) trapped in a scarcity-oriented capitalistic economic system. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage_from_Yesteryear

That stuckness in a schizophrenic economic double bind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bind
is bound to lead to more than a little craziness at Google until the
fundamental paradigm shifts back, to, say the better part of Iroquois
egalitarian society (where the US Constitution came from in part). For example:
http://www.google-watch.org/googles-ipo.html
"You can bring your dog to work, you get free gourmet lunches, and Google
offers an on-site doctor and dentist, massage and yoga, and on-site day
care. They have a fleet of Segway scooters ($4000 each). Meanwhile, behind
the big colored balls and bean bags, half of the workers are low-level
contractors with access to none of this."
Also:
"Life at Google - The Microsoftie Perspective"
http://no2google.wordpress.com/2007/06/24/life-at-google-the-microsoftie-perspective/

Which, as a a worldwide policy (since Google is becoming a de-facto world
government:)
http://www.radaronline.com/from-the-magazine/2007/09/google_fiction_evil_dangerous_surveillance_control_1.php
and with increasing automation:
http://www.willowgarage.com/
might eventually mean life in "terrafoam" for the masses without equity: :-(
http://www.marshallbrain.com/manna4.htm
"""
It was a funny experience. Manna [Google :-)] informed me on Friday
afternoon that I was to be fired. But the Manna network also knew that my
bank account was close to zero and there was no way I would be able to make
the next rent payment. The Manna network also knew that there were no job
prospects for me, since it knew the employment status of everyone. Like most
people, nearly everything I owned was leased. I wouldn't be able to make the
payments on any of that either. I was unmarried and all of my relatives were
in Terrafoam already. Manna knew that. No one I knew in the city had offered
to take me on as a guest, so that was out and Manna knew it.

So Manna put it all together and took the liberty to unplug me. As I
finished the dismissal interview and left the building, I had two robotic
escorts. The robot on my right addressed me as a robotic bus pulled up. The
bus looked to be about half full.

"Jacob Lewis105, you are now unemployed. Do you have other means of employment?"

Of course it knew the answer, but this formality could not be avoided. "No."

"Do you have guest status with any resident?" The robot asked.

"No."

"Do you have means of support unknown to me?"

I suppose I could have stashed a cache of gold under my mattress, and this
question allowed me to declare it. Such a cache would, of course, be grounds
for arrest, so I was screwed either way. "No." I was without any means of
support.

"In accordance with ordinance 605.12b, you have been assigned room 140352 in
building 16, resident quant C. This assignment provides you with suitable
housing and nourishment to sustain your life. Please board the bus."

That was how you ended up in Terrafoam. The system knew you had no means of
support, so it "gave" you one. You could leave terrafoam once you regained a
means of support, but there really was no way to do that unless Manna gave
it to you.
"""

Is that the kind of world we want to build either on the Earth or Mars?

Or even just at a feudal-heading Google? See:
"Digital Feudalism and Google as its Ruler"
http://whistlethroughyourcomb.blogspot.com/2007/09/digital-feudalism-and-google-and-ruler.html
"The Real War - On American Democracy"
"Corporate Feudalism: Work, Consume, Die"
http://edstrong.blog-city.com/corporate_feudalism_work_consume_die.htm

From:
http://www.schumachersociety.org/buddhist_economics/english.html
"The Buddhist point of view takes the function of work to be at least
threefold: to give man a chance to utilise and develop his faculties; to
enable him to overcome his ego-centredness by joining with other people in a
common task; and to bring forth the goods and services needed for a becoming
existence. Again, the consequences that flow from this view are endless. To
organise work in such a manner that it becomes meaningless, boring,
stultifying, or nerve-racking for the worker would be little short of
criminal; it would indicate a greater concern with goods than with people,
an evil lack of compassion and a soul-destroying degree of attachment to the
most primitive side of this worldly existence. Equally, to strive for
leisure as an alternative to work would be considered a complete
misunderstanding of one of the basic truths of human existence, namely that
work and leisure are complementary parts of the same living process and
cannot be separated without destroying the joy of work and the bliss of
leisure."

Anyway, if anyone here still feels angry about this, try to think of a funny
and creative and non-violent way to do something positive with that anger. :-)

See also:
"What do you do with the mad that you feel" lyrics by Fred M. Rogers
http://pbskids.org/rogers/songlist/song7.html

Training workshop:
http://www.fci.org/viewproject.asp?ID=%7BA498033C-0D8D-4A9F-9CF3-87CD9C6DF99E%7D
"The What Do You Do with the Mad that You Feel? training workshop explores
anger, where it comes from, and how young children can gradually learn the
self-control necessary to manage their anger and channel it into productive
activity. It also suggests ways to intervene when children act out or lose
control."

I hope I did something funny and creative and non-violent with my own anger
in writing this essay (made possible by research and sharing done through
free Google services. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.openvirgle.net/

Paradigm Shift

Apr 17, 2008, 11:03:42 AM4/17/08
to Project Virgle
Oh touché Paul.

Look at it this way. If there weren't people like me posting things
like I do, then you wouldn't have written your excellent (if not a
little long) post.

The problem is that email and threads are such a superficial form of
human interaction that it is very easy to miss judge the mood. I can
assure you, if you saw my laughter when reading and writing some of
these posts, then you really wouldn't take my "views" so seriously
(particularly on a thread related to an April fools day joke about
going to mars titled "Assholes").

This is really turning into April fools days.

On Apr 16, 10:38 pm, "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernh...@kurtz-
> "U.S. Air Force Plans for Future War in Space"http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/higher_ground_0402...
>
> What are these other advances in technology generating abundance for all?
> * Sharing information over the internet under free licenses.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
> * Printing in 3D.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printer
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reprap
> * Generating renewable energy.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy
> * Cheap computing for everyone:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child
> * Sustainable agriculture
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_agriculture
> * Universal health care
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care
> * Designing "Cradle to Cradle".
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_to_Cradle
> And so on. Or some of the other ideas on Bryan's site.
>
> Those advances *support* the more important change in human consciousness
> towards global compassion etc. but are less important than it because we
> could make the world work for most everybody if we worked at it even with
> just 1960s-level technology that got us to the Moon:
> http://www.educationanddemocracy.org/FSCfiles/C_CC2a_TripleRevolution...
> is bound to lead to more than a little craziness at Google ...
>
> read more »

Paul D. Fernhout

Apr 17, 2008, 12:52:37 PM4/17/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
All so true. :-)

http://www.austenquotes.com/jane_austen_quotes/2007/07/for-what-do-we-.html
"""
"But, Lizzy, you look as if you did not enjoy it. You are not going to be
missish, I hope, and pretend to be affronted at an idle report. For what do
we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"

Mr. Bennet, upon reading Lizzy the letter from Mr. Collins, which hints that
she may be engaged to Mr. Darcy and warns them that Lady Catherine will
never approve
Pride & Prejudice, Volume 3, Chapter 15
"""

A book I came across yesterday in my library after writing that essay:
"Living Sideways: Tricksters in American Indian Oral Traditions"
http://www.amazon.com/Living-Sideways-Tricksters-American-Traditions/dp/0806136324
"Native American tricksters can be buffoons, transformers, social critics,
teachers, and mediators between human beings, nature, and the gods. A
vibrant part of American Indian tradition, the trickster has shown a
remarkable ability to adapt into the twenty-first century. In Living
Sideways, Franchot Ballinger provides the first full-length study of the
diverse roles and dimensions of North American Indian tricksters. While
honoring their diversity and complexity, he challenges stereotypical
Euro-American treatments of tricksters. Drawing from the most influential
scholarship on Native American tricksters, Ballinger shows how many critics
have failed to consider both the specifics of trickster stories and their
cultural contexts. Each chapter concentrates on a particular aspect of the
trickster theme, such as the trickster's ambiguous personality, the variety
of trickster roles, and the trickster's role as social critic. Ballinger
further considers issues of sex, gender, and humor, the use of trickster
tales as instructions on social values and community control, and the
trickster as an emblem of modern Indian survival. "

So who is the "trickster" -- you or me?

Or Google?

Or all? :-)

--Paul Fernhout

Scottyoman

Apr 17, 2008, 5:22:23 PM4/17/08
to Project Virgle
Paul let me just say this TL;DR

On Apr 17, 11:52 am, "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernh...@kurtz-
fernhout.com> wrote:
> All so true. :-)
>
> http://www.austenquotes.com/jane_austen_quotes/2007/07/for-what-do-we...
> """
> "But, Lizzy, you look as if you did not enjoy it. You are not going to be
> missish, I hope, and pretend to be affronted at an idle report. For what do
> we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
>
> Mr. Bennet, upon reading Lizzy the letter from Mr. Collins, which hints that
> she may be engaged to Mr. Darcy and warns them that Lady Catherine will
> never approve
> Pride & Prejudice, Volume 3, Chapter 15
> """
>
> A book I came across yesterday in my library after writing that essay:
> "Living Sideways: Tricksters in American Indian Oral Traditions"http://www.amazon.com/Living-Sideways-Tricksters-American-Traditions/...

Paradigm Shift

Apr 18, 2008, 9:09:23 AM4/18/08
to Project Virgle
"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_world's_a_stage

On Apr 18, 12:52 am, "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernh...@kurtz-
fernhout.com> wrote:
> All so true. :-)
>
> http://www.austenquotes.com/jane_austen_quotes/2007/07/for-what-do-we...
> """
> "But, Lizzy, you look as if you did not enjoy it. You are not going to be
> missish, I hope, and pretend to be affronted at an idle report. For what do
> we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
>
> Mr. Bennet, upon reading Lizzy the letter from Mr. Collins, which hints that
> she may be engaged to Mr. Darcy and warns them that Lady Catherine will
> never approve
> Pride & Prejudice, Volume 3, Chapter 15
> """
>
> A book I came across yesterday in my library after writing that essay:
> "Living Sideways: Tricksters in American Indian Oral Traditions"http://www.amazon.com/Living-Sideways-Tricksters-American-Traditions/...

Scottyoman

Apr 18, 2008, 4:53:13 PM4/18/08
to Project Virgle