Mining the Cognitive Surplus for OpenVirgle

Paul D. Fernhout

Apr 27, 2008, 6:36:36 PM4/27/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
"Mining the Cognitive Surplus"
http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/27/1422258
"""
Clay Shirky has been giving talks on his book Here Comes Everybody
http://www.herecomeseverybody.org/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html
— his "masterpiece," per Cory Doctorow — and BoingBoing picks up one of
them, from the Web 2.0 conference.
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/27/death-of-the-sitcom.html
Shirky has come up with a quantification of the attention that TV has been
absorbing for more than half a century. Shirky defines as a unit of
attention "the Wikipedia": 100 million person-hours of thought. As a society
we have been burning 2,000 Wikipedias per year watching mostly sitcoms.
We're stopping now. Here's a video of another information-dense Shirky talk,
this one at Harvard.
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive/events/2008/02/shirky
"""

So, not only is $55 trillion expected to flow into foundations over the next
25 years (and be useful for launch costs and physical R&D):

"OpenVirgle/Commons/Surman vs. Virgle/Philanthrocapitalism/Edwards"
http://www.google.com/group/virgle/web/openvirgle-commons-surman-vs-virgle-philanthrocapitalism-edwards

but now we find out TV watching is consuming 2,000 Wikipedias per year?

So, why aren't we on Mars, the Moon, and the Asteroids yet?

Even with all the money wasted on war, school, corporate welfare, etc.?
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/oscomak/AchievingAStarTrekSociety.html

Resources:
"Kill Your Television"
http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

"TV Turnoff Week : Adbusters.org"
http://www.adbusters.org/metas/psycho/tvturnoff/

"Media Restriction" at Waldorf
http://www.openwaldorf.com/media.html

"Corporate media"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_media
""Corporate media" is a term which refers to a system of media production,
distribution, ownership, and funding which is dominated by corporations, and
is governed by the capitalist imperatives of maximizing profits for the
investors, stockholders, and advertisers."

I've been a lot more productive since we unplugged our TV. Although it is
true we still watch a DVD now-and-then on a laptop or watch stuff on
Youtube. Whenever the cable people call, I always tell them the reason I
don't subscribe to their video offering is that their offerings are so
interesting and entertaining that I'd watch them. ;-) And I don't have the
time. They don't have a scripted answer for that one. :-)

To damage my own cause by wasting yet more time, :-) here is short funny
video about what going into space does to you: :-)
"The Go! Team - Get It Together" (*)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4FaGacwtd4
That's also an example of how when NASA makes materials available to the
public domain, it spurs creative remix. :-) Now if we could just get NASA to
insist that *all* the materials they fund directly or indirectly were put
into the public domain. But as that seems slow to be happening, it is up to
the rest of us in our 2,000 Wikipedias per year of "free" time. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
Mining the "Cognitive Surplus" with OpenVirgle's new Halo Semantic MediaWiki
project here:
http://www.oscomak.net/wiki/OpenVirgle

(*) Related: http://www.primatesworld.com/SpaceMonkeys.html
“They have bravely served their country... They deserve their retirement.”

mike1937

Apr 27, 2008, 7:37:38 PM4/27/08
to Project Virgle
I'd suggest google scholar for finding NASA stuff, I found some papers
there that otherwise you have to pay shipping fees to have NASA send
them to you.

On Apr 27, 4:36 pm, "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernh...@kurtz-fernhout.com>
wrote:
> "Mining the Cognitive Surplus"http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/27/1422258
> """
> Clay Shirky has been giving talks on his book Here Comes Everybody
>  http://www.herecomeseverybody.org/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html
> — his "masterpiece," per Cory Doctorow — and BoingBoing picks up one of
> them, from the Web 2.0 conference.
>    http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/27/death-of-the-sitcom.html
> Shirky has come up with a quantification of the attention that TV has been
> absorbing for more than half a century. Shirky defines as a unit of
> attention "the Wikipedia": 100 million person-hours of thought. As a society
> we have been burning 2,000 Wikipedias per year watching mostly sitcoms.
> We're stopping now. Here's a video of another information-dense Shirky talk,
> this one at Harvard.
>  http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive/events/2008/02/shirky
> """
>
> So, not only is $55 trillion expected to flow into foundations over the next
> 25 years (and be useful for launch costs and physical R&D):
>
>   "OpenVirgle/Commons/Surman vs. Virgle/Philanthrocapitalism/Edwards"http://www.google.com/group/virgle/web/openvirgle-commons-surman-vs-v...

Bryan Bishop

Apr 27, 2008, 7:52:35 PM4/27/08
to vir...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 27 April 2008, mike1937 wrote:
> I'd suggest google scholar for finding NASA stuff, I found some
> papers there that otherwise you have to pay shipping fees to have
> NASA send them to you.

Let's do it for real if we're going to list ways to get info:

http://heybryan.org/search.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20020206160321/http://gwu.edu/~gprice/science.htm
http://www.freepint.com/gary/direct.htm
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=239163&cid=19595767
http://heybryan.org/projects/autoscholar/
http://heybryan.org/mediawiki/index.php/List_of_bioinformatics_databases

To acquire access to ezproxy sites, you have to go hunting, but if
you're in a uni environment, you're good already and probably have a
proxy system for accessing literature when off of university computers:
http://heybryan.org/docs/warez_boards.txt

Also, many professors and students are kind enough to send you copies of
their papers when you ask them (nicely). And maybe you'll find a
potential collaborator ...

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/

mike1937

Apr 27, 2008, 8:58:13 PM4/27/08
to Project Virgle
Copied that post into a wiki article:
http://www.oscomak.net/wiki/Information_Gathering_Tips

which should be expanded on a lot and be one of the first places we
point new members (it should eventually have a lot of legal
information to keep us out of trouble).