tj Squires, Vinux future

1 view

outro pessoa

Apr 24, 2011, 2:18:59 PM4/24/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
TJ Squires: SSH can be done from any computer to any computer and
putty can be setup on many platforms. It does not mean she will
control your computer. It is much safer than the alternative you were
suggested. You can change the default port, disable root logins, and
limit access. This is on any client.

Vinux developers and users: Why doesn't anyone bother even testing out
gnome3 accessibility? The developrs want feedbacjk from the vinux
group but the group won't participate. Fear of change from the
developers?
I had mentioned debian and live build; it was ignored. I had mentioned
that a lot of parts of the vinux script ruined installs. Remastersys
is useless when bootstrap copy does a better job. The script destroys
any previous installation and makes a debian system unusable. Imagine
my surprise when I decided to test it out on PPC and it removed all of
my KDE items, made iceweasel and firefox unusable, and shot everything
else to hell. What is it going to do to a person's system that can't
see.

I've mentioned that the live-build could make arm devices accessible;
again, this was ignored.

Live-build could be used to make vinux images- installable images- for
different user types and different language locales or just be used as
a simple live environment.

I am also willing to bet that no one has even thought of these options.

There is a debian community that is willing to guide the developers
here with using live-build.

It's a shame that this post will probably be edited or removed because
the developers are so afraid of change.

Don Marang

Apr 24, 2011, 2:38:07 PM4/24/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Your question regarding gnome 3.0 was specifically directed towards Debian as I read your message.  We have many people playing with gnome-orca 3.1 pre.  Some of us have experimented with gnome 3.0 and found it unstable.  Providing feedback on the gnome-orca with both gnome 2.x and 3.x is where we can have the most impact.

Don Marang
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen

Tony Sales

Apr 24, 2011, 3:07:01 PM4/24/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Outro, We are certainly not afraid of change, as long as it is for the better of course. I personally have not been able to get Gnome 3 (or Unity) to run on any of my computers as yet - I suspect it is to do with the video cards I use - so I have been unable to test it. I suspect many other people will have similar problems and unless they upgrade their video card or laptop etc they may not get to experience it at all. So it isn't that we won't participate, but that at the moment some of us can't. We also have our own priorities to work on and at the moment Gnome 3 (or Unity) are not at the top of the list. We plan to stick with Classic Gnome for the next Ubuntu Natty based release and we will evaluate Gnome 3 (and Unity) once the final stable release is out. Some of us are also experimenting with Debian and Debian Mint to see what they compare.

Secondly, it wasn't that your live-build comments were ignored, it is just that we don't have that much experience with this process and although I did spend several weeks last year experimenting with it I could not create a live installable CD with it - and when I asked for help with this I was told that I shouldn't try to make a Debian live CD installable as this was not the Official Debian Policy. Apart from that you cannot expect us to simply abandon our build process and switch to a new one on the basis of one e-mail we receive from someone we have never heard of. And as far as I know none of us use or have access to ARM based devices.

Thirdly, although remastersys has its limitations it has proved a reliable and simple way of creating releases in conjunction with the buildscript - which were explicitly written to work with Ubuntu, not Debian, so I am not suprised that running an Ubuntu based script destroyed your Debian based system. The scripts would need significant modification in order to work with Debian Squeeze, and there is a special Debian version of Remastersys available. The bottom line is that without Remastersys Vinux would not exist, as I had no idea how to remaster a distribution manually.

Finally we do not edit or remove messages from the mailing list unless they contain offensive or threatening language etc, we are happy for people to express their own ideas whether or not they are compatible with the views of the developers, just ask Tyler Littlefield if you want confirmation of this. We are in fact currently investigating switching from Remastersys to the Ubuntu build system, aided by Luke Yelavich which will indeed provide internationalisation and an automated build system. However if you are able to produce an accessible, live installable CD using the debian live-build system then we would love to hear about it, test any iso's you make, host them on vinuxproject.org etc - but you will need to explain how to do it as the last time I tried it was just too complicated for me to follow.

I hope you realize that we are not ignoring you or afraid of change - we always welcome new people, new ideas and any contributions people can make to Vinux or wider Linux based accessibility improvements etc. So feel free to share your ideas on the list and discuss these issues with us further...

Vinux Home Page:  http://vinuxproject.org/
Vinux Wiki Documentation:http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/

mattias

Apr 24, 2011, 3:24:54 PM4/24/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
but don't install ubuntu natty
if you talking about unstable

Alex M

Apr 26, 2011, 6:03:30 PM4/26/11
to The Vinux Support Forum
What is ARM? What devices run ARM? What devices run PPC? We mostly
use am64 and i386. Also, if you want vinuxscripts that work for
Debian systems and are less likely to destroy it the way the Ubuntu
ones did, try the ones for Vinux 2.1 which was based on Debian Lenny
and not Ubuntu Lucid. I have heard that packages built for Ubuntu and
other debian-based distros don't always work for Debian proper.

Regards,

Alex M

Christopher Chaltain

Apr 26, 2011, 6:13:42 PM4/26/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
ARM is a processor being used in a lot of mobile platforms, tablets,
mobile phones, PDA's and so on. PPC is the PowerPC platform. This is
based on the RISC processor architecture. PowerPC boxes tend to be
larger servers, although there are also PowerPC blades. Macs used to run
on PowerPC chips, but they switched to Intel chips a little more than
half a dozen years ago. My knowledge of such things is very limited, so
I defer to anyone who knows more than I do!

--
Christopher (CJ)
chal...@gmail.com

Don Marang

Apr 26, 2011, 10:10:04 PM4/26/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
The lower power, cheap, ARM chips  are used in cell phones, such as the iPhone and Android as well as  netbooks.  ARM stands for Advanced RISC Machine.  It is a 32 bit RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer).  Launchpad does not provide an ARM architecture target or repositories.  I wonder if they use an x86 emulator of some type to get Ubuntu, Debian and Windows 7 Starter on it?  One of the first things I helped to do out of college in 1984 was help write microcode for a RISC processor that could perform each Complex Instruction Set Computer (CISC), which at the time was the 8086.  In this case, the microcode is external to the processor.  If this were the case, which I expect might be the case, the Ubuntu x86 repository would then be able to run on a ARM netbook.

Don Marang
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
There is just s much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen

Littlefield, Tyler

Apr 26, 2011, 10:17:16 PM4/26/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
a lot of it is compiled specifically for the arm processor. If you look at the kernel, there is an arch directory with asm code exposing routines to the kernel to work with, based on the processor.

Vinux Home Page: http://vinuxproject.org/
Vinux Wiki Documentation:http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/

--

Thanks,
Ty

Burt Henry

Apr 26, 2011, 10:30:06 PM4/26/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
some low-end netbooks AR arm devices. These are chips designed for small
energy efficient portable use, but arm is expanding in to the PC world I
read a few months back. Windows never worked on these before but with
the growth in tablet computers MS will now be on this platform. Linux
has been a arm player, probably for a long time.

El 04/26/2011 05:03 PM, Alex M escribi�:

--
*the above was probably written by-
Burt Henry

Burt Henry

Apr 26, 2011, 11:32:23 PM4/26/11
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Here is an article that gives an idea of where arm is going, and they are also working with AMD for the incorporation of amd GPUs. Lots on the server front as needs diversify.
I saw Canonical mentioned in some google search result relating to ARM recently as well, but can't remember what I was looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/33vs3ha

here is  brief overview of ARM.
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=ARM+chips&i=37984,00.asp
Here is a pretty cool vid on ubuntu and ARM...

Vinux Home Page: http://vinuxproject.org/
Vinux Wiki Documentation:http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/
--
	*the above was probably written by-