Vinux Debian

Rob Whyte

Jul 16, 2011, 9:32:41 PM7/16/11
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
Good day good people,

I wish to bounce some ideas off you.

I have been working on a Debian Vinux as has D J Ring.

I support DJ as our flavours have different goals.

I have tried several approaches to create a Debian Vinux edition.

My current platform is a net-install with ssh installed.

I am using this as a template for all my Vinux builds.
Of course to run the VinuxScripts I do need to install make.

I had quite a degree of success with all our packages, minus some that
are not in Vinux or Debian archives and just native to Ubuntu.
One problem I still face is Orca will not start automatically in a user
session.
GDM starts Orca fine so I do not know why it does not in user logins.
Could this be because environment variables are not being imported?

Another issue is pulseaudio.
On the basic install I have console speech is provided by alsa and espeakup.

I am not a big fan of espeakup because when other synths are available
on a system such as Voxin, Festival or Cepstral I wish to use those
voices in a console.
A huge advantage of espeakup mixed with alsa is there is no need for
speech-dispatcher to be used at that stage and speakup becomes available
about 5 seconds after booting.
I find this to be very efficient.
Again, using espeakup with pulseaudio introduces large delay.
There is a bug in pulseaudio that I have not been able to work out.
It may be starting late or espeakup may be starting to early with
incorrect dependencies for the init startup process or there is
something else I have not become aware of.

An idea I had was to build a package or install from source
speech-dispatcher excluding the pulseaudio dependency which would stop
it being installed.
There are a couple of extra packages with pulseaudio dependencies but
they dont come to mind as I write this email.

I had an idea this morning with my morning coffee to perhaps try and
build a Debian Vinux based on just Debian repositories instead of using
the Vinux ones as well to provide extra packages we have become so fond of.

I welcome ideas, suggestions and input as I spent every waking hour for
two weeks on this porting the VinuxScripts to Debian and I have left it
for a week now to reflect on my progress and to try and see if I have
taken the right approach.

Look forward to hearing your ideas.

Kind regards

Rob Whyte

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jul 17, 2011, 1:21:44 AM7/17/11
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rob,

I had it all working just grand but I was having playing CDs and Internet audio streams. Pulse Audio was a nightmare.

I started from the Debian Command Line edition that I made Debian 6.0 and added Gnome to it.

Right now after I crashed and burned my latest Vinux Debian 6.0, I took the old ISO that I made - named Debian Vinux Alpha 1.  and started again.

I now have pulse audio working, I have most multimedia working, ORCA is running, I haven't added too many of the special accessible applications yet other than the command line applications.

So far this time so good.  I am planning on making frequent back ups so that I just don't loose weeks of work again.

Best to all,

DR

Tony Sales

Jul 17, 2011, 6:46:06 AM7/17/11
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob, I think a pure Debian version (without Vinux packages) using espeakup, and Orca using Alsa would be a nice way to go, if you could get orca to run - do you think that speakup is locking up the sound so that Orca is running but not talking? Or does it talk if you start it manually?

Vinux Home Page: http://vinux.org.uk/
Vinux Wiki Documentation:http://wiki.vinuxvirtual.org.uk/index.php?title=Main_Page

Rob Whyte

Jul 17, 2011, 7:30:54 AM7/17/11
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,
When pulse is not installed speakup is unrelated.
The link of course is speech-dispatcher.
orca is fine on gdm but accessibility options are not being imported to
the suer session.
As far as I can work out.

I brain flashed this morning to try basic, using Vinux structure still
but ruling out the ppa and just using default shipped repos with Debian
and if that can be successful then making a Debain ppa for us if it is
even required.

I will start that process this week and hopefully have some more degree
of success.

:)

Rob Whyte

David J. Ring, Jr.

Jul 17, 2011, 10:03:51 AM7/17/11
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

The one problem I found with mixing the Vinux PPA is the Ubuntu version
number - or at least I think that is the problem with getting things to
work.

If we have web space that is permanent we should think about archiving
important files like remastersys-ubuntu and remastersys-debian and other
files.

DR

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Jul 17, 2011, 10:14:07 AM7/17/11
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
I have orca running in both Debian 6.0 and Debian Testing (Wheezy).  Orca had a problem using the newest PPA version that Rob found though which introduces new voices.

Best to you,

DR