Step by step setup guide

Meikel Brandmeyer

Aug 29, 2010, 5:13:52 PM8/29/10
to Victor Olteanu, vimcl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I will also cross-post this to the vimclojure list.

Am 29.08.2010 um 20:25 schrieb Victor Olteanu:

> Thank you. I tried again but I can't figure out how these pieces work together.
> I tried watching the video tutorial but it seems that it's outdated. I tried also with the readme file without luck.I can't figure out which goes where and how all these pieces work together.
> Is there any step-by-step tutorial about how to install these?

Step by step:

1. Download vimclojure-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.zip.
2. Unzip to ~/.vim (on Windows: ~/vimfiles)
3. Check that ~/.vimrc (on Windows: ~/_vimrc) contains "set nocompatible", "filetype plugin indent on" and "syntax on". Preferably in this order and at the very top of the file.

This cannot be simplified.

The following is completely optional and should only be done if the above resulted in a satisfactory setup with highlighting, indenting and static completion.

4. Download vimclojure-nailgun-client-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.zip
5. Extract to a convenient place.
6. Ensure that ~/.vimrc (on Windows: see above) contains "let vimclojure#WantNailgun = 1" as well as "let vimclojure#NailgunClient = '/path/to/convenient/place/ng.exe"
7. Download server-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.
8. Start the nailgun server with correct classpath: java -cp your-stuff:server.jar vimclojure.nailgun.NGServer 127.0.0.1
9. Enjoy doclookup, macroexpansion and omni completion in clojure sources.

Hope that helps.

> as I believe it's a pity most people may not use this for Clojure and go the Emacs route which is more documented...

Victor, the following is nothing personal against you, but I was told this now several times and can't stay quite anymore.

I absolutely care a #$*&%!§/$* whether someone switches to emacs because *my* project sucks. VimClojure is written for people who mostly use Vim to do their stuff – in particular myself. If someone switches to emacs because SLIME is so much superior (which I doubt heavily counting the "my SLIME doesn't work" mails), that's fine with me. When they are happy with emacs, I'm also happy. Emacs is not the enemy. Nor is ccw or enclojure.

> Please let me know if I can help with anything.

You are already helping! Your mail shows that I have to revamp the instructions to be more clear.

Sincerely
Meikel

PS: The link for reference:

> http://kotka.de/a4d4104349e704/server-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> http://kotka.de/a4d4104349e704/vimclojure-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.zip
> http://kotka.de/a4d4104349e704/vimclojure-nailgun-client-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.zip

Wilson MacGyver

Aug 29, 2010, 10:09:45 PM8/29/10
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:

> I absolutely care a #$*&%!§/$* whether someone switches to emacs because *my* project sucks. VimClojure is written for people who mostly use Vim to do their stuff – in particular myself. If someone switches to emacs because SLIME is so much superior (which I doubt heavily counting the "my SLIME doesn't work" mails), that's fine with me. When they are happy with emacs, I'm also happy. Emacs is not the enemy. Nor is ccw or enclojure.

I just want to say that you at least have one happy user. I use
vimclojure whenever I want
to quickly throw together code. I'm even installing it via mercurial
repo. For me, it most certainly
does NOT suck. :)

Meikel Brandmeyer

Aug 30, 2010, 3:16:29 AM8/30/10
to vimclojure
Hi,

it's actually not so much about the suckiness of a given software.
Maybe VimClojure sucks, maybe it doesn't. That certainly depends on
the point of view. From my POV it doesn't, from other's POVs it does.
That is a natural thing.

But saying "Implement feature X or I have to use this other thing."
has basically a black-mailing kind of taste. If feature X sucks, it
ain't get implemented. And if that is a problem for someone, than go
with god, but go.

This is not a VimClojure phenomenon. It also happens eg. with Clojure:
"If clojure had this and that function... But it doesn't and now I
have to use language Y"... I'm glad that Rich keeps the good work as
the Master and Commander[1]. (see eg. the contains? discussions)

I'm unsure when the mentality changed. When I started to use Ruby
(somewhere around 2000) there was no IDE which was nearly to what
VimClojure/CCW/Enclojure are today. And back then Ruby was already
seven years old. Clojure is *three* and look at all the great
achievements in terms of tool landscape. I think we can learn a little
patience and come back to a calmer tone.

That said, I want to clarify again: this has nothing todo with Victor.
His request for clearer documentation is obviously a valid concern!
And I also highly appreciate his offer to help out! So Victor: if you
like post your experiences here. Feel free to ask. If someone else
asks something and you can answer, please do so. A community lives
from the people who form it.

Thanks to all users of VimClojure and Clojuresque.

Sincerely
Meikel

[1]: Master and Commander is an old officer degree which combined
captain and navigator of a ship in one person.

Daniel J. Pritchett

Aug 31, 2010, 4:05:09 PM8/31/10
to vimclojure
Meikel,

Are the above instructions compatible with leiningen and say lein-
nailgun? I ask because I don't know much about Java classpaths and I
have had more success letting leiningen handle them for me in the
past. This is something I'm hoping to see handled simply by a
leningen include (i.e. ":dev-dependencies [[org.clojars.brandonw/lein-
nailgun "1.0.0"]]") once the final version of VimClojure 2.2 is
released.

Thanks,
Daniel Pritchett

Meikel Brandmeyer

Sep 3, 2010, 7:26:36 AM9/3/10
to vimclojure
Hi,

On 31 Aug., 22:05, "Daniel J. Pritchett" <dpritch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are the above instructions compatible with leiningen and say lein-nailgun?

Yes and no. You can add the vimclojure jar to your dev-dependencies as
[vimclojure/server 2.2.0-SNAPSHOT]. Since the VimClojure requires a
patched nailgun server, you cannot use lein-nailgun, but there you
should be a run task so that you can start the server directly via
lein. I'm planning a lein-vimclojure plugin similar to the before
mentioned gradle plugin. But this will be post-release.

Sincerely
Meikel

Daniel J. Pritchett

Oct 14, 2010, 2:02:26 PM10/14/10
to vimclojure
I got the stable vimclojure nailgun server working under leiningen! I
couldn't find a run task but I was able to hack together my own:

alias ng-server='java -cp "`lein classpath`"
vimclojure.nailgun.NGServer 127.0.0.1'

That lein classpath command really saved my bacon. I did have to add
the vimclojure/server jar off of clojars onto my leiningen
project.clj:

:dev-dependencies [[vimclojure/server "2.2.0"]]

Thanks for all of your hard work Meikel!