debug repl works with vimclojure?

MarkSwanson

Jul 10, 2010, 1:05:09 AM7/10/10
to vimclojure
Hello,

I'm trying the debug-repl.clj by George and Alex. It doesn't seem to
work in the vimclojure repl.
This happens:

user=> (debug-repl)
dr-1-1005 => dr-1-1005 => nil
user=>

I was expecting to stay in the dr-1-1005 => command line.

Maybe it's a nailgun / *out* issue or something. Anyway, it would be
nice to get this working in vimclojure.

vimclojure: using the 2nd last release binary.
alex_and_georges/debug-repl.clj: the latest from git:
github.com/GeorgeJahad/debug-repl/blob/master/src/alex_and_georges/
debug_repl.clj

I can try the latest vimclojure test binary files if you think that
will help.

Thanks.

Meikel Brandmeyer

Jul 10, 2010, 2:36:14 AM7/10/10
to vimcl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't think so. You have to understand the way the Vim stuff works. The vim "repl" is just a normal buffer. When you hit enter a command is invoked. Stuff is sent over, answer comes back. Connection is closed. There is no way to have a permanent server connection. (The only possibility is to use Python, Ruby or Perl. And this sucks for various reasons.) So no interactive commands are possible.

The debug-repl is quite interesting and on my radar. But it won't work out of the box with the *vim* repl. So I probably have to patch things pretty heavily to make it work. However, what you can do as a workaround is: start a separate repl in a console (using for example rlwrap or jline for more conveniece). There you can start the server process: (require 'vimclojure.nails) (vimclojure.nails/start-server-thread). The you work in the repl including the debug-repl and still get the goodies for vim like omni-completion or doc lookup.

I'll have a look at debug-repl meanwhile.

Sincerely
Meikel