Spam from admin@139.com

John Beckett

Nov 29, 2012, 5:57:06 AM11/29/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have an archive of mail which includes the spam that
we receive from ad...@139.com? I need to know when that spam
started. I kept a few messages, and the earliest I have is
2012-07-09. Does anyone know of an earlier date? Or, can you say
when it did NOT occur (that is, you posted to vim_use and did
not receive the spam)?

Knowing roughly when it started would allow me to guess which
member needs to be unsubscribed to fix the problem (I would
try emailing them first).

As discussed recently [1], it appears that whenever someone
posts a message to vim_use, the sender receives a junk mail from
ad...@139.com a few hours later. It's easy to defeat that by
flagging the mail as spam so it is not seen in the future.
However, I would like to fix the problem because it is confusing
and irritating for each new poster to have to deal with the
problem.

It looks like the following happened:
1. Someone subscribed to vim_use (say m...@example.com).
2. They set m...@example.com to forward to NUM...@139.com
(NUMBER is a valid mobile phone number in China).
3. They stopped using NUMBER.
4. Another person recently was issued NUMBER and they
know nothing about vim_use.

A very helpful member of vim_use whom I emailed has sent a text
message to NUMBER, which replied with point 4 above.

If anyone has information about when this might have started,
please reply here or email me.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/df4c6a23839627fa

John

John Beckett

Dec 2, 2012, 4:55:36 AM12/2/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
This is an updated outline of the vim_use spam problem.
Following some email exchanges, I am trying a few things to see
if I can find a solution and may have more updates.

The following uses "-at-" instead of "@" so the Google Groups
web interface will not hide the email addresses.

It appears that every user who emails a message to the vim_use
mailing list receives a junk mail from admin-at-139.com a few hours
later. Each individual can defeat that by flagging the mail as
spam so it is not seen in the future. However, the problem
should be fixed because it is confusing and irritating for each
new poster.

It looks like the following happened:
1. Someone subscribed to vim_use.
2. They set their email to forward messages to
number-at-139.com (where 'number' is a valid mobile phone
number in China).
3. They stopped using the mobile number (around July 2012?).
4. Another person was issued the number but (fortunately for
them), they have not activated the number to receive email.

When a user emails a message to vim_use, Google Groups delivers
that message to each member with the following in the header:
From: Username <user-at-example.com>

The 139.com mail system should use the "Reply-To" address,
however they reply to the "From:" address to alert the sender
that the recipient has not activated their email.

This problem started around 9 July 2012.

John

Tony Mechelynck

Dec 2, 2012, 12:40:07 PM12/2/12
to Vim List, John Beckett
In my gmail "spam" folder I indeed notice messages in Chinese sent by
"admin", and at mouseover that sendername expands to admin-at-139.com.
Only a drop in the sea of spam I get from other sources.

Can I do anything to help you? Do you want one or more such emails sent
forward-as-attachment so you could have a look at the "Received" lines
in the headers? (I suppose you get enough of them yourself though).

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Arthur pulls Pin out. The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
ARTHUR: (quietly) One, two, five ...

JohnBeckett

Dec 17, 2012, 2:02:20 AM12/17/12
to vim_use
I am attempting to find the vim_use member who is forwarding
mail to an account at 139.com that they are no longer using,
with the result that everyone who posts to vim_use receives a
confusing spam response from ad...@139.com 24 hours later.

I have sent a message to all 2123 members of vim_use who are set
to receive email, and have not received a spam response from
ad...@139.com (I was hoping to get such a response, which would
have allowed me to identify the subscribed address responsible).

The messages were sent 60 at a time by pasting addresses into
BCC. The header would therefore be very different from that of a
message from vim_use, and that may account for why I did not get
a response.

I will discuss whether anything more can be done with Bram.

John

James Freer

Dec 17, 2012, 6:06:40 AM12/17/12
to vim_use
[xubuntu 12.04 linux user]

I received that spam mail ONCE. Gmail seems to cope with spam better than yahoo
or aol (as the large providers) and it would seem that problems could lie with
folk who've set up their own email servers.

With aol (i only use it as a spare email and only have it for AIM) i did have a
problem with a certain email virus that sent emails to each listed in the
addressbook. Now i use Alpine and have deleted ALL addressbook entries on the
server i've had no more problems.

Perhaps someone more IT email knowledgeable can advise how this spam email is
working and thus we can resolve the issue. For it seems to have gone.

james

John Beckett

Dec 20, 2012, 3:02:43 AM12/20/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea why, but it appears that the spam from
ad...@139.com to anyone who posts to vim_use has stopped. As I
mentioned, I have emailed everyone who receives vim_use asking
about the problem (in batches of 60 at a time). Thanks to those
who responded. I unsubscribed 60 members since some of them were
obvious spammers but had not been banned, while others had
permanent mail errors (for example, quite a lot were from
yahoo.com which replied that the account did not exist). I am
not aware of doing anything that might have fixed the spam
problem, but perhaps all the noise caused someone to notice.

Please let me know if anyone receives a new spam from now on.

John

Phil Dobbin

Dec 20, 2012, 4:32:56 AM12/20/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, John, for taking the time to clear this up. Any dealings with
email is usually tedious & time consuming so much appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,

signature.asc

Fredrik Andersson

Dec 20, 2012, 3:40:07 AM12/20/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com