wrong links on the vim_dev page

etri...@ntsys.fr

Oct 8, 2008, 8:04:43 AM10/8/08
to Vim Use

all the links on the following page :

http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches

are wrong i.e. I am redirect to some porn site.

Best regard

Emmanuel

Erik Falor

Oct 8, 2008, 12:32:31 PM10/8/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Yep, I'm seeing this too.

--
Erik Falor

Erik Falor

Oct 8, 2008, 5:44:49 PM10/8/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 02:04:43PM +0200, etri...@ntsys.fr wrote:

Phew! The links are working correctly now.

Glad that's over!

John Beckett

Oct 8, 2008, 5:50:41 PM10/8/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
etrillaud wrote:
> all the links on the following page :
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
>
> are wrong i.e. I am redirect to some porn site.

Thanks. I've fixed it.

It's hard to monitor the page. I check it from time to time, but a lot of clicking
is required to determine who is the current author, then guess whether the page is
ok.

Bram is always right ... except when he's wrong, and this page should be on the wiki
IMHO. The page on vim_dev should be fixed (only a manager can edit), and it should
contain only a link to the page on the wiki.

It took the spammers three weeks to notice that we are open for business, but now
someone has noticed, I expect we'll see this more regularly. Any member of vim_dev
can fix future problems. Procedure:

http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev
- Under the "Pages" heading, click "Vim patches".
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- In the Version drop-down menu, select a previous version.
- The page will re-open, showing the previous version.
- If it looks good, scroll to the bottom again.
- Click "Make this version the current version".

Problem: I've done this a few times on the four Vim mailing lists. On one occasion,
the result was a complete mess. The group that discusses Google Groups claims that
there are various bugs in the GG software, and I'm pretty sure I happened to trigger
one. It took half an hour futzing around to recover the page. Fortunately, vim_dev
is now the only Vim mailing list with an open-door policy on editing web pages.
Also, I have taken a copy of the current HTML source for this page as a backup.

To get a hint of the industry behind the scammers, have a look at this page where
you can buy a program to "create unlimited Gmail accounts in seconds" (you make an
account and use it with another package to spam; then you are banned; repeat
forever):
http://www.jiffycreator.com/

John

Markus Heidelberg

Oct 10, 2008, 1:15:57 PM10/10/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
John Beckett, 08.10.2008:

> etrillaud wrote:
> > all the links on the following page :
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
> >
> > are wrong i.e. I am redirect to some porn site.
>
> Thanks. I've fixed it.

You have fixed it two times and it is spammed again. I just wanted to correct
it before finally adding my relativenumber patch, but it didn't work, see
below.

> It's hard to monitor the page. I check it from time to time, but a lot of clicking
> is required to determine who is the current author, then guess whether the page is
> ok.

Yes, you don't have a change history and the word processing tool is annoying.

> Bram is always right ... except when he's wrong, and this page should be on the wiki
> IMHO. The page on vim_dev should be fixed (only a manager can edit), and it should
> contain only a link to the page on the wiki.

A link which would be changed by a spammer again?
When moving the patches list to the wiki, I think we should just add a page
with a link to it on a new subsection below "Download" on vim.org and kick the
Google groups page.

> It took the spammers three weeks to notice that we are open for business, but now
> someone has noticed, I expect we'll see this more regularly. Any member of vim_dev
> can fix future problems. Procedure:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev
> - Under the "Pages" heading, click "Vim patches".
> - Scroll to the bottom of the page.
> - In the Version drop-down menu, select a previous version.
> - The page will re-open, showing the previous version.
> - If it looks good, scroll to the bottom again.

Until here it was as described.

> - Click "Make this version the current version".

There was no such button or link available. Only an "edit this page" button. I
clicked it and got to the edit page. I saved without verifying the links. This
method didn't work, the latest page was the current again. So where was the
correct button/link? I used Firefox, should work I think.

I had created an account at Google (what a pain!) just for this entry.

Markus

Richard Hartmann

Oct 10, 2008, 1:20:49 PM10/10/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 23:50, John Beckett <johnb....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bram is always right ... except when he's wrong, and this page should be on the wiki
> IMHO. The page on vim_dev should be fixed (only a manager can edit), and it should
> contain only a link to the page on the wiki.

Agreed.

Richard

Charles Campbell

Oct 10, 2008, 2:46:56 PM10/10/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
John Beckett wrote:
> [snip]

> It took the spammers three weeks to notice that we are open for business, but now
> someone has noticed, I expect we'll see this more regularly. Any member of vim_dev
> can fix future problems. Procedure:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev
> - Under the "Pages" heading, click "Vim patches".
> - Scroll to the bottom of the page.
> - In the Version drop-down menu, select a previous version.
> - The page will re-open, showing the previous version.
> - If it looks good, scroll to the bottom again.
> - Click "Make this version the current version".

[snip]

Hello!

The spammer has defaced the page again. I tried following your
directions, but there was no "Make this version the current version"
button. I assume that's because I don't have a google account and so
wasn't logged on.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

fritzophrenic

Oct 10, 2008, 5:52:33 PM10/10/08
to vim_use

On Oct 10, 1:46 pm, Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campb...@nasa.gov>
wrote:
I see the same problem in IE7. Everything works until the 'Make this
version the current version" step, where I see no such option.

I did notice that if you edit the page, simply clicking on the "link"
button in the editor interface will automatically try to make a link
out of the highlighted text.

This is a fairly quick way to correct the links.

John Beckett

Oct 10, 2008, 6:54:58 PM10/10/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Markus Heidelberg wrote:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches

>> Thanks. I've fixed it.
>
> You have fixed it two times and it is spammed again. I just
> wanted to correct it before finally adding my relativenumber
> patch, but it didn't work, see below.

Thanks for trying! As I mentioned, I once spent 30 minutes recovering a page (I
think it was on vim_mac).

Re the reports that there was no "Make this version the current version" link: I
don't have an explanation except that yes, you would have to be logged on with a
Google account that is linked to the subscription in vim_dev. Evidence that you were
logged on would be if you could edit the page, because Bram had set vim_dev so
members can edit pages. If you can edit and followed my previous instructions, you
should have seen that link.

However, I have seen Google Groups do weird stuff, so maybe it's a glitch. If you
ever want a laugh, browse the GG support forum. In the last couple of weeks there
have been half a dozen people frantically trying to get Google's attention to the
fact that their group has entirely disappeared!

I didn't want to do anything while Bram is away, but I've decided that cleaning up
after this spammer hits us each day is not very productive. Therefore I have
adjusted the vim_dev settings so only managers can edit pages. This is a temporary
measure until Bram returns, when he can decide what he wants to do.

If anyone wants to EDIT VIM-PATCHES please POST HERE and the settings can be
adjusted for 24 hours to once more allow members to edit (or perhaps just email me
directly).

>> The page on vim_dev should be fixed (only a manager can edit),
>> and it should contain only a link to the page on the wiki.
>
> A link which would be changed by a spammer again?

No - I didn't fully explain. I think that a manager should make a fixed page with
only a link to the wiki page, and the vim_dev settings should prohibit members from
editing the page. The spammer who has noticed that members can edit has some
software so just a couple of clicks will:
- subscribe to vim_dev
- confirm the subscription
- edit the page to change the links to the porn/malware targets
- unsubscribe (so they can't be banned)

BTW the curious reader should bear in mind that the forum reports that many of these
spammer links serve malware (viruses).

John

Markus Heidelberg

Oct 10, 2008, 7:34:35 PM10/10/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
John Beckett, 11.10.2008:

> Re the reports that there was no "Make this version the current version" link: I
> don't have an explanation except that yes, you would have to be logged on with a
> Google account that is linked to the subscription in vim_dev. Evidence that you were
> logged on would be if you could edit the page, because Bram had set vim_dev so
> members can edit pages. If you can edit and followed my previous instructions, you
> should have seen that link.

Yes, I was logged on, but this link wasn't there. I created the account with
the same mail address with which I'm subscribed to the list.

> If anyone wants to EDIT VIM-PATCHES please POST HERE and the settings can be
> adjusted for 24 hours to once more allow members to edit (or perhaps just email me
> directly).

24 hours? I think the spammer is faster.

> >> The page on vim_dev should be fixed (only a manager can edit),
> >> and it should contain only a link to the page on the wiki.
> >
> > A link which would be changed by a spammer again?
>
> No - I didn't fully explain. I think that a manager should make a fixed page with
> only a link to the wiki page, and the vim_dev settings should prohibit members from
> editing the page.

OK, I didn't know what a manager was and just read over the parenthesis, but
now it's clear.

Markus