Symlinks in pwd

Per Thulin

Feb 12, 2009, 7:13:42 AM2/12/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Is there some way to make vim not expand symlinks? I've got very
complex symlink hierarchies set up, and it's so frustrating doing :e /
some/file/in/symlink and then trying to :e ../ noticing you're
somewhere else...

Thanks in advance!
Per Thulin

Tony Mechelynck

Feb 13, 2009, 7:32:14 AM2/13/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

The problem with that is that /some/symlinked/path/somefile and
/some/other/and/absolute/path/somefile would never be considered the
same, even if they applied to the same file. Then if you tried to open
both in the same Vim you might get into deep trouble.

I may be wrong, but I think I remember that some time ago, an at a
user's request, a "bug" was "fixed" in order to force Vim to resolve all
symlinks in the files it edited, and the paths to them. There might be
some trace of it in the version history...

See:
:help E773
then scroll up a few paragraphs
:help todo.txt
line 1011
:help version7.txt
line 1381

Seer also:
:help 'backupcopy'
and the "breaksymlink" flag

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Pure drivel tends to drive ordinary drivel off of the TV screen.