new Vim book

Bram Moolenaar

Aug 1, 2007, 11:00:17 AM8/1/07
to vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, vim-mu...@vim.org

Kim Schulz has written a book on using Vim The full title is:
"Hacking Vim: A Cookbook to get the Most out of the Latest Vim Editor".

I have written a bit of info about it on this page:
http://iccf-holland.org/click5.html

81. At social functions you introduce your husband as "my domain server."

Mike Hansen

Aug 1, 2007, 12:46:10 PM8/1/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I purchased this book from the publisher's web site last weekend. I
bought the combo PDF and dead-tree version. I haven't got the dead-tree
version yet, but I'm reading the PDF. I thought the first chapter on the
history of vi, Vim, and vi clones wasn't really that necessary and could
have been spent on other hacking topics. I'm in the middle of the 2nd
chapter now. Note: The 2nd chapter is the sample chapter available for
download. It's pretty good. So far, I think the book will be helpful in
learning more about Vim.

Mike

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 1, 2007, 1:03:29 PM8/1/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds quite "slow-paced"
to me. I'm tempted to say second grade level but that would be caricature. I
guess seventh grade is more realistic (and even that may exhibit a warped
perception). Personally I prefer Bram (et al.)'s documentation: vimtutor, user
manual, reference manual. YMMV.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Once, adv.:
Enough.

Mike Hansen

Aug 1, 2007, 2:10:48 PM8/1/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Well, since you are what I'd consider a Vim guru, I wouldn't think that
this book would be of any use to you. I'd consider your expertise in Vim
to be very advanced. From what little I've read so far, I say the book
is targeted at users of intermediate or just beyond beginner level of
expertise in Vim. My opinion may change as I get farther in the book.

Mike

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 1, 2007, 3:30:04 PM8/1/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Don't flatter me; there I lots of things about Vim that I know only spottily,
if at all. Even yesterday I reported as a bug something that was actually a
feature (well, I would call it a misfeature but at least it was documented,
intended behaviour. I just hadn't done my homework.)

My greatest joy was when I read the announcement about the (then) new
":helpgrep" command. When was it? ah, gotcha. 6.1.423. There are a number of
gurus still around who remember Vim 5, I don't. Call me a greenhorn guru at best.

One of my strengths is multi-encoding support, but that's only because I
delved early (for me) and assiduously into ":help Unicode" and ":help
keymap-file-format"; and the reason I was motivated was because I wanted to
write a multilingual Welcome page. Now I'm proud of it,
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/ and it's true Unicode: &entities;
were cumbersome to the point of unusability. (I have another multilingual page
which is a different kind of fun, at
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/imbecile.htm -- cave paginam!)
The latest thing I added to them both was favicons; but I wander.

What I did, anyone can do, given enough time and dedication.

Best regards,
Tony.

Bill McCarthy

Aug 1, 2007, 8:44:21 PM8/1/07
to Tony Mechelynck
On Wed 1-Aug-07 12:03pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds
> quite "slow-paced" to me. I'm tempted to say second grade
> level but that would be caricature. I guess seventh grade
> is more realistic (and even that may exhibit a warped
> perception). Personally I prefer Bram (et al.)'s
> documentation: vimtutor, user manual, reference manual.
> YMMV.

I scanned the first few pages and came across an example of
using :match to highlight the portion of a line longer than
73 characters. The example is:

:match errorMsg /\%>73v.\+/

Of course that could have been written as:

:match ErrorMsg /\%73v.\+/

or, I think better (at least shorter):

:match ErrorMsg /\%>73v./

But this mini-redundancy isn't what caught my attention,
the explanation states that the 'v' causes '.\+' to be
treated as very special.

(1) the 'v' causes '\%>' to operate on virtual columns and
(2) if '.\+' were treated as very special, as /\v%>73v.\+/
only plus signs and the character before them would be
highlighted when beyond 73 virtual columns.

--
Best regards,
Bill

liviu...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2007, 8:28:19 AM8/2/07
to vim_use
Hi Tony,
this is not related to the subject, sorry!
I just had to thank Tony for the link to his page. I was looking for
the Dào-dé Jīng book written both in chinese and other language for
years. I had one in hard copy (translated in my native language!), I
borrowed it to a 'friend' and never saw it from then.... very sad.
Some of the links are broken though. Are you planning to check on the
site soon? I will try to mirror it every 3-4 weeks until it's ok :).
Thanks again for the link, I found many things inside that relate to
me.
Liviu

On Aug 1, 10:30 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One of my strengths is multi-encoding support, but that's only because I
> delved early (for me) and assiduously into ":help Unicode" and ":help
> keymap-file-format"; and the reason I was motivated was because I wanted to

> write a multilingual Welcome page. Now I'm proud of it,http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/and it's true Unicode: &entities;

> were cumbersome to the point of unusability. (I have another multilingual page

> which is a different kind of fun, athttp://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/imbecile.htm-- cave paginam!)

Albie Janse van Rensburg

Aug 2, 2007, 9:35:02 AM8/2/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com
liviu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Tony,
> this is not related to the subject, sorry!
> I just had to thank Tony for the link to his page. I was looking for
> the Dào-dé Jīng book written both in chinese and other language for
> years. I had one in hard copy (translated in my native language!), I
> borrowed it to a 'friend' and never saw it from then.... very sad.

Somebody once said, "If you lend someone $10 and never see that person
again, it was probably worth it".

--

Albie Janse van Rensburg ~ http://morph.telspace.co.za

Please don't send me any MS Word or Powerpoint attachments
unless it's absolutely neccessary - send simply text.

The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice
and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the
master calls a butterfly.
-- Messiah's Handbook : Reminders for the Advanced Soul

zzapper

Aug 4, 2007, 10:59:26 AM8/4/07
to vim_use
>On Aug 1, 4:00 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> Kim Schulz has written a book on using Vim The full title is:
> "Hacking Vim: A Cookbook to get the Most out of the Latest Vim Editor".
>
> I have written a bit of info about it on this page:
> http://iccf-holland.org/click5.html
Bram
A new book on VIM is to be welcomed. I still remember the
documentation I was given to learn VI ( on a torn off piece of paper)

i insert
x delete a character
:wq to save & exit

That was it! no built-in help, no Internet to Google etc

You learned by peering over shoulders!

BTW if you click http://iccf-holland.org/click5.html and
subsequently buy ANY book/product at Amazon then Bram will receive a
small amount of commission for his charity ICCF.

--
zzapper
http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/vimtips.html

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 4, 2007, 11:11:07 AM8/4/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com
zzapper wrote:
[...]
> --
> zzapper
> http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/vimtips.html

Note: The standard signature delimiter is not just two dashes, but two dashes
followed by one space, with nothing else on the line.

My mail client (Thunderbird) recognises the standard delimiter but not the above.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"Those who do not do politics will be done in by politics."
-- French Proverb

Franco Saliola

Aug 4, 2007, 11:16:27 AM8/4/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 8/4/07, zzapper <zza...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A new book on VIM is to be welcomed. I still remember the
> documentation I was given to learn VI ( on a torn off piece of paper)
>
> i insert
> x delete a character
> :wq to save & exit

The first command I was ever taught was

:q!

He clearly wasn't a fan.

Franco

Ted Pavlic

Aug 16, 2007, 8:59:56 AM8/16/07
to vim_use
> I've had a look at the online sample chapter and it sounds quite
> "slow-paced" to me. I'm tempted to say second grade level but that
> would be caricature. I guess seventh grade is more realistic (and
> even that may exhibit a warped perception). Personally I prefer Bram
> (et al.)'s documentation: vimtutor, user manual, reference manual.
> YMMV.

FWIW, I've been pretty disappointed with the book. Just as sections get
interesting, it refers the reader to help pages. I was hoping it would
serve as a good text reference with a nice index that I could use to
look things up when I want to do something new in Vim7. I was
disappointed to find how TINY the book is.

All of the introductory material in the book suggests that it should be
for experts looking to augment their skills. However, it seems more
accurate that it's for beginners looking to become experts.

An expert may get more out of a good quick reference taped to the wall.

It's great that there's a new book out about Vim7. However, it would be
a lot cooler if someone took the time to come up with a nice
comprehensive up-to-date Vim reference that had sections catered for
people looking to do something more advanced.

--Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <t...@tedpavlic.com>

Ted Pavlic

Aug 16, 2007, 9:12:06 AM8/16/07
to vim_use
> FWIW, I've been pretty disappointed with the book. Just as sections get
> interesting, it refers the reader to help pages. I was hoping it would
> serve as a good text reference with a nice index that I could use to
> look things up when I want to do something new in Vim7. I was
> disappointed to find how TINY the book is.

Oh, and the index in the back of the book (3 pages, two fronts and one
back) is really shotty. Granted, lots of people neglect tables of
contents, but shouldn't the index at least be more complete than the
TOC? (the TOC is 4 pages, two fronts and two backs)

I was hoping to have a textual reference with a good index that I could
peruse. :(

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 16, 2007, 9:29:07 AM8/16/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I guess nothing beats the vimtutor and the online help. Especially with help
tag completion and helpgrep.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
A musician of more ambition than talent composed an elegy at
the death of composer Edward MacDowell. She played the elegy for the