how to use non-monospaced font? (win32)

Ciss

Jun 3, 2010, 2:59:03 AM6/3/10
to vim_use
Hello, i have some problem with fonts.
(sorry for my english, i'm from russia)

I like to use Monaco font but this font doesn't support Russian
language. So, i find original version of Monaco with Russian support,
but this fon't don't mark as monospaced. But i know what this font IS
monospaced.

So, problem is what i don't see monaco in gvim-font-dialog (also i
can't choise this from command-line - set guifont= )

How i can fix this problem?
Maybe some one can change type of this font for me?
Or some vim-hack? :)

Thank you very much!

John Beckett

Jun 3, 2010, 9:13:50 PM6/3/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Ciss wrote:
> I like to use Monaco font but this font doesn't support
> Russian language. So, i find original version of Monaco with
> Russian support, but this fon't don't mark as monospaced. But
> i know what this font IS monospaced.
>
> So, problem is what i don't see monaco in gvim-font-dialog
> (also i can't choise this from command-line - set guifont= )

You may not be able to choose a font, but you should be able to
'set guifont' to specify the font. I dont' know if there are any
special considerations if a font is not marked as monospaced.
See the following for the general idea:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Change_font

You need to work out the name of the font and put it a 'set
guifont=' command, with a backslash before each space in the
font name.

John

Tony Mechelynck

Jun 4, 2010, 5:06:41 AM6/4/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Ciss

On Windows, you just cannot use any non-monospaced font: gvim won't let
you. It's as simple as that.

On X11 systems, if compiled with GTK2 GUI, gvim will let you set any
installed font as 'guifont' but if you choose a non-monospaced one the
results are ugly, because the fixed-size character cell is there to
stay, and in fixed-size cells, the wider glyphs of a proportional font
(such as Latin lowercase m or Cyrillic shcha) look cramped and the
thinner ones (such as Latin lowercase l or Ukrainian i) look lonely.

For Cyrillic I would choose another font. Lucida_Console has cyrillic
glyphs, but when I was on Windows, its bold glyphs were just one pixel
wider than advertised and the result was ugly. For Cyrillic I finally
fell back on Courier_New, which is definitely not the prettiest of the
pretty, but it has a wide selection of glyphs (including Cyrillic) and
they are all (even the bold ones) actually the same width.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
There's been no top authority saying what marijuana does to you. I
really don't know that much about it. I tried it once but it didn't do

Gareth Oakes

Jun 5, 2010, 8:02:25 AM6/5/10
to vim_use
Hi there,

You can load the Monaco font into fontforge and change the font
properties that way.

If you are on Windows, then you should download the MinGW version of
Fontforge here:
http://www.geocities.jp/meir000/fontforge/

Looking at the monospace fonts I have here (which work under Vim), you
can try setting a "Monospaced" attribute as follows:

1. Load fontforge, select monaco.ttf.
2. Menu: Element -> Font Info
3. Select "OS/2" from left-hand list on Font Info dialog
4. Select "Panose" tab
5. Set Proportion = Monospaced
6. Save new TTF version of this font, try it out!

Let us know if that works for you.

Cheers,
Gareth

Ciss

Jun 7, 2010, 1:07:27 PM6/7/10
to vim_use
Yeah!
Thank you very much, this is the solution for my problem.

khrs

Jul 7, 2010, 1:45:08 PM7/7/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com

could someone provide the link to monospace version of the font?