MacVim.app snapshot 51 released

björn

Nov 21, 2009, 9:10:34 PM11/21/09
to vim_mac
Hi,

I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot

This is the first release to include the Core Text renderer (which has
been living in a feature branch for quite some time). This renderer
is almost an order of magnitude faster than the default renderer and
this is particularly noticeable when editing in full-screen mode. It
relies on Vim to handle drawing of composing characters which means
more predicable behavior (compared with other Vim GUIs) but this also
means that even if a font has special glyphs which includes the
composing characters these will not be used. Thus the default
renderer may look better if you are editing scripts will lots of
composing characters. Also, there are still some display issues that
I have not yet managed to fix (e.g. try ":set go+=l" or resizing with
the mouse, to see what I mean). On the flip side, transparency is
supported on 10.6 (only matters if you compile your own binary),
undercurls (as well as underlines) are supported, modeless selection
works, and probably other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Anyway, to try out the Core Text renderer, simply go in to the
Advanced preferences and make sure the "experimental renderer" is
ticked. I use it exclusively these days.

Changes since snapshot 50:

* Fixed a bug which could lead to crashes when closing windows (Issue 129)
* Fix window tiling when using multiple monitors
* The NSRepeatCountBinding user default has no effect in MacVim
* Setting 'lines' and 'columns' in .vimrc works again
* Added the Core Text renderer
* Rearranged the Advanced preferences pane

Note that automatic updating is still disabled. I'll add it back
someday, but at the moment I do not have the energy to (I'd rather do
fun stuff when I have some free time to work on MacVim).

Björn

Wincent Colaiuta

Nov 22, 2009, 5:38:38 AM11/22/09
to vim_mac
Thanks Björn,

Any way to turn off anti-aliasing when using the Core Text renderer?

Cheers,
Wincent

Yongwei Wu

Nov 22, 2009, 6:48:34 AM11/22/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/22 björn <bjorn.w...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to
>
> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot
>
> This is the first release to include the Core Text renderer (which has
> been living in a feature branch for quite some time).  This renderer
> is almost an order of magnitude faster than the default renderer and
> this is particularly noticeable when editing in full-screen mode.  It
> relies on Vim to handle drawing of composing characters which means
> more predicable behavior (compared with other Vim GUIs) but this also
> means that even if a font has special glyphs which includes the
> composing characters these will not be used.  Thus the default
> renderer may look better if you are editing scripts will lots of
> composing characters.  Also, there are still some display issues that
> I have not yet managed to fix (e.g. try ":set go+=l" or resizing with
> the mouse, to see what I mean).  On the flip side, transparency is
> supported on 10.6 (only matters if you compile your own binary),
> undercurls (as well as underlines) are supported, modeless selection
> works, and probably other stuff that I can't think of right now.
>
> Anyway, to try out the Core Text renderer, simply go in to the
> Advanced preferences and make sure the "experimental renderer" is
> ticked.  I use it exclusively these days.

One negative report on the new renderer: the option 'guifontwide'
seems to have stopped working. :-(

Best regards,

Yongwei

--
Wu Yongwei

björn

Nov 22, 2009, 7:33:56 AM11/22/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wincent,

2009/11/22 Wincent Colaiuta:

> Any way to turn off anti-aliasing when using the Core Text renderer?

:set noanti

...should work as always...let me see...yes, it works for me. Does it
not work on your end?

Björn

björn

Nov 22, 2009, 7:45:37 AM11/22/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yongwei,

2009/11/22 Yongwei Wu:

> One negative report on the new renderer: the option 'guifontwide'
> seems to have stopped working. :-(

Ah...yes, I did not yet get around to implementing it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm sure there are plenty more things that I did not yet think of...if
anybody notices problems like this, just let me know and I'll try to
have them implemented in time for the next snapshot.

Björn

Wincent Colaiuta

Nov 22, 2009, 12:00:28 PM11/22/09
to vim_mac
Yep, thanks for that. It works.

Probably because I am using Monaco 10, I have never needed to use that
setting before with the old renderer; it was already always
unantialiased.

Cheers,
Wincent

Craig

Nov 23, 2009, 6:25:56 AM11/23/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Can you share a configure line that shows transparency working with 10.6 SDK?
I like to build form source and would like Python 2.6 supported.

Today I did a git pull, ran this

./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses --enable-multibyte --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config

and got Python 2.6 and 10.6 SDK but weird transparency (text was grey but the background wasn't see-through). I've enabled CoreText in the Advanced Preferences panel too.

TIA
-C

björn

Nov 23, 2009, 6:43:40 AM11/23/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/23 Craig:

> Can you share a configure line that shows transparency working with 10.6
> SDK?
> I like to build form source and would like Python 2.6 supported.
>
> Today I did a git pull, ran this
>
> ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp
> --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-tlib=ncurses
> --enable-multibyte
> --with-python-config-dir=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config
>
> and got Python 2.6 and 10.6 SDK but weird transparency (text was grey but
> the background wasn't see-through). I've enabled CoreText in the Advanced
> Preferences panel too.

This did the trick for me (Python 2.6, transparency supported if
"experimental" renderer is enabled in the Advanced preferences):

./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
--enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-cscope; make clean;
make

You really don't need all those extra flags you specified by the way.

Björn

Craig

Nov 23, 2009, 6:59:18 AM11/23/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Not sure which of the extra switches was breaking things, but still, I've got a local build (I like the bleeding edge) with all things working.
Cheers,
-C

Shirk

Nov 23, 2009, 3:44:45 PM11/23/09
to vim_mac
> > This did the trick for me (Python 2.6, transparency supported if
> > "experimental" renderer is enabled in the Advanced preferences):
>
> >  ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
> > --enable-rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-cscope; make clean;
> > make
>
> > You really don't need all those extra flags you specified by the way.
>
> > Björn

Nice job!
Finally a 10.6 SDK version with transparency *and* python 2.6 ^^
--> proof: http://skitch.com/shirkrin/nes3d/fullscreen

And for all the curious out there my build steps:
- git clean -fxd
- ./configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-
rubyinterp --with-features=huge --enable-gui=macvim --with-
tlib=ncurses --enable-multibyte --with-python-config-dir=/System/
Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/config/
--with-macsdk=10.6
- Enable the 'experimental' renderer

Keep up the good work Björn!

Cheers,
Shirk

Craig

Nov 23, 2009, 6:33:12 PM11/23/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I've seen some weird re-draw failures with 'experimental rendering' and vsplit.
I'll supply a screenshot next time I'm on my Mac (it's @ work).

-C

Panos

Nov 24, 2009, 5:18:11 AM11/24/09
to vim_mac
New renderer is lightning fast! Thanks Bjorn :D

(not stumbled into any glitches yet)

On Nov 24, 1:33 am, Craig <craig.em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen some weird re-draw failures with 'experimental rendering' and
> vsplit.
> I'll supply a screenshot next time I'm on my Mac (it's @ work).
>
> -C

björn

Nov 24, 2009, 5:21:05 AM11/24/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/24 Craig:

> I've seen some weird re-draw failures with 'experimental rendering' and
> vsplit.
> I'll supply a screenshot next time I'm on my Mac (it's @ work).

A screenshot won't be terribly helpful: try to come up with some
simple steps to reproduce the problem instead.

Thanks,
Björn

Craig

Nov 24, 2009, 10:59:56 AM11/24/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
If I open any file and then do
:bel vert new
or
:vsplit
the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
This happens consistently.
-C

René Köcher

Nov 24, 2009, 12:02:57 PM11/24/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Am 24.11.2009 um 16:59 schrieb Craig:

> If I open any file and then do
> :bel vert new
> or
> :vsplit
> the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
> This happens consistently.

:vsplit or :vnew split vertically - did you mean just :new?

Can't reproduce in in current git-built (10.6 SDK, experimental renderer + transparency).
Neither vertical nor horizontal splits / new buffers cause any redrawing issues.

However I remember this behavior with pre-snapshot-51 git builds,
but it seems to be gone since then.

Cheers,
Shirk

BitSpin.org - don't get twisted up!

björn

Nov 24, 2009, 5:20:50 PM11/24/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/24 Craig:

> If I open any file and then do
> :bel vert new
> or
> :vsplit
> the upper half of the initial buffer isn't redrawn properly
> This happens consistently.

Thanks for Craig, I can reproduce this. I'll see what I can do...

Björn

Andrew Long

Nov 25, 2009, 12:11:25 PM11/25/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On 22 Nov 2009, at 02:10, björn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to
>
> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot
>

> <snip/>

Bjorn

This snapshot is also not built for PPCs? I still have a Powerbook running Tiger; do I have to stay with snapshot 49, or is it likely that your build will work for PPC too?

Regards, Andy
--
Andrew Long
andrew dot long at mac dot com

björn

Nov 25, 2009, 2:03:45 PM11/25/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/25 Andrew Long:

> This snapshot is also not built for PPCs? I still have a Powerbook running Tiger; do I have to stay with snapshot 49, or is it likely that your build will work for PPC too?

Andrew,

It is difficult to compile a universal Vim binary with all features
that supports 10.4 -- 10.6, and including PPC increases the build time
a lot. All in all, this means a lot of time for me spent on building
snapshots and this is time I just don't have. So in the end I decided
to only build the snapshots for Intel 10.5+ from now on.

The stable build still runs on Tiger and it is of course always
possible to build your own custom version.

Björn

Andrew Long

Nov 25, 2009, 5:29:00 PM11/25/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Right, thanks. I'll have fre time next week, so I'll give it a go

björn

Nov 27, 2009, 1:56:10 PM11/27/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/24 björn:
Ok, so this turns out to be the bug that I mentioned in my original
post: it is triggered by the left scrollbar appearing when you
vertically split a window (the same bug will appear if you hide a
scrollbar). (Do a ":set go-=L" and then split and everything is
fine.) I haven't managed to come up with a fix for it yet.

Björn

Craig

Nov 27, 2009, 5:50:03 PM11/27/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/27 björn <bjorn.w...@gmail.com>
Thanks for the work-around. I'll hold my breath for a fix. :-)

-C

Kamen Nedev

Nov 30, 2009, 10:29:17 PM11/30/09
to vim_mac
It built just fine on my iBook PPC G4 10.4.11, huge --with-
macarchs=ppc, python, ruby, and perl interpreters.

Is there anyway I can contribute the build to the GoogleCode site?

Best,

Kamen

björn

Dec 1, 2009, 3:01:38 PM12/1/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2009/12/1 Kamen Nedev:

> It built just fine on my iBook PPC G4 10.4.11, huge --with-
> macarchs=ppc, python, ruby, and perl interpreters.
>
> Is there anyway I can contribute the build to the GoogleCode site?

Hi Kamen,

I don't mind if you put the binary up for download somewhere.
However, in the last month about 1% of all visits to the MacVim
project page came from PPC/10.4 so I don't see much need in having the
snapshot available for this platform on the project page itself (there
is always the stable build). Thanks for the offer though! (If you do
make it available, please let us know where so that we can refer
people to that site in case anybody asks.)

Björn