Weird font issue

Jeff Lanzarotta

Dec 21, 2007, 9:12:24 AM12/21/07
to Vim Developer Mailing List
Hello,

My version of Vim is the latest and greatest version from version control which includes patches 1-175.  This version was compiled using Borland C++ 5.5 under Windows XP.

The issue I am having is with the characters 'a' and 'e'...

When I am in insert mode and I do:
'a' then backspace, 'a' then backspace, 'a' then backspace, repeatively, the character 'a' is replaced with 'å'.

When I am in insert mode and I do:
'e' then backspace then 'a', then 'e' then backspace then 'a', repeatively, the character 'e' is replaced with 'æ'.

This is weird.  Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Jeff

-Jeff

James Vega

Dec 21, 2007, 9:42:11 AM12/21/07
On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 06:12:24AM -0800, Jeff Lanzarotta wrote:
> When I am in insert mode and I do:
> 'a' then backspace, 'a' then backspace, 'a' then backspace, repeatively, the character 'a' is replaced with 'å'.

This is happening because you have the 'digraph' option enabled. When
this option is enabled, you can input unicode characters by typing
{char1} <BS> {char2} instead of using <C-k>{char1}{char2}. This is
described at ":help 'digraphs'".

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jame...@jamessan.com>

signature.asc

Jeff Lanzarotta

Dec 21, 2007, 10:36:03 AM12/21/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

I was messing around with my vimrc file and inadvertently added 'set digraph'...

I have now turned that feature off...

James Vega <jame...@jamessan.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 06:12:24AM -0800, Jeff Lanzarotta wrote:
> When I am in insert mode and I do:
> 'a' then backspace, 'a' then backspace, 'a' then backspace, repeatively, the character 'a' is replaced with 'å'.

This is happening because you have the 'digraph' option enabled. When
this option is enabled, you can input unicode characters by typing
{char1} {char2} instead of using {char1}{char2}. This is

Tony Mechelynck

Dec 21, 2007, 4:16:13 PM12/21/07
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Vim Developer Mailing List

:set nodigraph

see
:help digraphs-use

I suspect that you have a ":set digraph" line in your vimrc, which makes
<character><BS><character> active (in addition to the always-available
<Ctrl-K><character><character>) as an additional method of producing foreign
characters by means of digraphs. If you have that line, remove it to disable
the strange behaviour you've been seeing. You'll still be able to use the
other (Ctrl-K prefix) method, which won't interfere with your use of the
backspace key.

(Note: aa is the digraph for the letter å, and ae for æ.)

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"But don't you worry, its for a cause -- feeding global corporations
paws."

Adri Verhoef

Jan 17, 2008, 4:53:40 PM1/17/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Lanzarotta, your quoting mechanism cripples the text portion of the
message that you quoted. It said: "{char1} <BS> {char2} instead of ..."
and now it reads "{char1} {char2} instead of ...".

Adri