Where to put experimental indent file (JavaFX)

black panda

Oct 2, 2009, 10:37:45 AM10/2/09
to vim_dev
Hello,

I have a first attempt at an indent plugin for the JavaFX language. I
don't think it is completely ready for prime time, but I want
someplace to post it for others to use and give feedback so I can
learn and improve the code. I think the Scripts section of www.vim.org
is not the right place to put "beta" code.

Where would an appropriate place be? Is the wiki the right place for
this?

Thanks,

panda

Ingo Karkat

Oct 2, 2009, 7:01:29 PM10/2/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I see no problem with posting it on vim.org; with an appropriate caveat ("BETA!
Patches and feedback welcome!"), potential users will be warned and may refrain
from down-rating it just because it isn't complete yet.

If you post it on the Vim Tips Wiki, other people will edit it, append
modifications and alternative versions, etc. This can be a good thing (if you
yourself aren't yet sure whether the approach is right), but then it's not fully
"yours" (and under your control) any more.

-- regards, ingo
--
-- Ingo Karkat -- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- http://ingo-karkat.de/ --
-- http://vim.sourceforge.net/account/profile.php?user_id=9713 --

John Beckett

Oct 2, 2009, 7:45:41 PM10/2/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

The wiki is not really the right place for scripts because
history shows that there is a tendency for quick stuff to be
uploaded and then neglected, so the tips collection becomes
burdened with material that is hard to understand and of
doubtful quality (making it harder to find useful tips).

We only have a very small community who are willing to actually
fix things so uploading a script may not get much collaboration.
There are exceptions, notably the long script here:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/CSV

However, I am very happy to try anything provided there is a
reasonable time limit, so please put your script on the wiki and
we will review whether it should be kept over the next, say,
three months. My feeling is that an indent plugin (after being
developed on the wiki) should be uploaded to vim.org/scripts,
and then deleted from the wiki because all the details of a
plugin would make a pretty impenetrable tip.

Please review the title guidelines:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:Title_guidelines

Probably the right title is:
JavaFX indent plugin

You do not need to worry about formatting; I will fix it within
a day or two. However, I will let anyone still reading this know
that GeSHi is available. Most tips use the following wikitext to
display script:

Following is my wonderful script.
<pre>
" Sample comment.
function Whatever()
endfunction
</pre>

An alternative (which uses a MediaWiki extension called GeSHi
for syntax highlighting) is:

Following is my wonderful script.
<source lang="vim">
" Sample comment.
function Whatever()
endfunction
</source>

Problem: It is pretty well impossible for syntax highlighting of
Vim script to always work, so strange punctuation in the script
can cause defective highlighting.

When you make an account at the wiki, you must enter date of
birth (Google COPPA if you want to know why). Put in any bogus
date that makes your age more than 13.

John

black panda

Oct 5, 2009, 2:02:33 PM10/5/09
to vim_dev
Thank you both for your suggestions. I put the code in the Vim wiki
for you and others to comment and help improve. Thank you for the
opportunity to give back to the Vim community!