Bokmål translations

1 view

Adi Roiban

Oct 31, 2009, 5:47:00 PM10/31/09
to vim_dev
Hi,

I would like to let you know about a bug reported in Ubuntu by Arne
Goetje

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+bug/409765

I would like to know what you think about it, and if you accept or
reject it.

For point 2. maybe you don't want to remove non-utf8 encoded files.
Please consider this a bug report only for point 1.
I will open another theread for discussing point 2.

I will also include the relevant text here:

-----
When scanning the import queue in Launchpad Rosetta for issues that
need manual intervention, I found the following issues with the vim
package, which prevents a smooth import into Launchpad Rosetta and
causes the Ubuntu Translation Coordinators to manually adjust or
remove .po files.

 1. the no language code is obsolete and has been split into nb and
nn. The no.po file in the vim package is actually Bokmål, so the file
should be renamed to nb.po in order to get imported into Rosetta
automatically.

----

Kindest regards,
--
Adi Roiban

Bram Moolenaar

Nov 1, 2009, 7:59:36 AM11/1/09
to Adi Roiban, vim_dev, Øyvind A.

Adi Roiban wrote:

Vim works on many systems, thus we must shure changes don't break it for
HPUX, SunOS, etc.

I don't know the details of the Norwegian language names. I think there
should remain a no.po file for backwards compatibility. But let's ask
the author: Øyvind A. Holm

--
An indication you must be a manager:
You feel sorry for Dilbert's boss.

Tony Mechelynck

Nov 1, 2009, 1:34:47 PM11/1/09
to Bram Moolenaar, vim...@googlegroups.com, Adi Roiban, "Øyvind A. Holm"
On 01/11/09 13:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
[...]

> I don't know the details of the Norwegian language names. I think there
> should remain a no.po file for backwards compatibility. But let's ask
> the author: Øyvind A. Holm

See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language
(including the "Language codes" in the right sidebar).

Best regards,
Tony.
--
If a President doesn't do it to his wife, he'll do it to his country.

Adi Roiban

Nov 7, 2009, 11:38:48 PM11/7/09
to vim_dev

On 1 nov., 20:34, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 01/11/09 13:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I don't know the details of the Norwegian language names.  I think there
> > should remain a no.po file for backwards compatibility.  But let's ask
> > the author: Øyvind A. Holm
>
> See for instancehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language
> (including the "Language codes" in the right sidebar).
I think a better article would be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language_struggle

The idea is that now we have 2 officially recognized variants for
Norwegian.

The old NO is now NB, and there is a new langauge code NN.

For compatibility we can have NO as a symlink to NB.

Cheers,
Adi